waxing nightmare

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

therapyem

Reaction score
hi

im a fully trained therapist and i hvae one client that no matter what id do, when waxing her upper lip, a small amount of skin came off! this doesnt happen with any other clients and it is always in the same spot. i have told her today i wont wax that area again as i felt very bad when this it happened. when i wax other areas on her there are no probs- its just the bit above the lip and below the nose! i know the wax is at the correct temp-

can anyone give me any advice as to how i can prevent this or shud i just refrain from doing this area? i use tea tree wax- would i be better using a diff wax? any advice or comments would be most helpful. as i said, this problem only happens with this one client- and she still keeps coming back so at least it not put her off!

please help as i want to uphold my reputation in the industry too- if there is anything i can do, all commments most appreciated!
thanks in advance

em :sad: xx

Hi hun

Sounds like you are quite distressed by what has happened. But sometimes it's nothing we have done. Please don't beat yourself up about it. The best thing you can do is learn from this and it makes you better in the long run.

I once waxed a lady, well tried to do a bikini wax.Not ONE hair came out. I mean not one. Her hair was that thick and she had polycistic ovaries but I couldn't get my head round why it wouldn't work. In the end I thought there is nothing I can do about this so I will just let the worry go.

I don't think the wax itself would matter hun, it may be that she has very thin skin or perhaps is on medication that could cause the skin to be thin in parts?

I presume you done a client consultation to check her medical history?

Other things that it could be:

wax too thick?
Skin not pulled taught?
waxed more than twice over the same area?

Sorry I know you probably won't have done any of these but I'm just trying to think why this might be?

Axiom and brow queen are waxing gurus you could try PM'ing them?.

hth's xxx

hi

im a fully trained therapist and i hvae one client that no matter what id do, when waxing her upper lip, a small amount of skin came off! this doesnt happen with any other clients and it is always in the same spot. i have told her today i wont wax that area again as i felt very bad when this it happened. when i wax other areas on her there are no probs- its just the bit above the lip and below the nose! i know the wax is at the correct temp-

can anyone give me any advice as to how i can prevent this or shud i just refrain from doing this area? i use tea tree wax- would i be better using a diff wax? any advice or comments would be most helpful. as i said, this problem only happens with this one client- and she still keeps coming back so at least it not put her off!

please help as i want to uphold my reputation in the industry too- if there is anything i can do, all commments most appreciated!
thanks in advance

em :sad: xx

Hi hun it's very distressing when this happens, I would recommend she didn't have that area waxed and give the skin time to heal properly.

Could she just get away with waxing around it ?

Have you tried applying a very thin layer of oil before applying the wax? This creates a lipid barrier between the wax and the skin and basically stops the wax sticking to the skin, only to the hair. It's excellent for sensitive skin.

my eyebrows are like this. I use a thin layer of powder on my skin (and a few other clients) before I put on the wax :) that always helps.

In fact - for some STUPID reason I forgot the powder on myself the other day - needless to say my one eyebrow I forgot it on looks horrible. I cant believe I did it - and its embarrassing!

thanks for the replies, i will try oil and powder tricks next time. i think it must just be a really sensitive area! i am not going to wax the middle bit above the lip next time she comes. i will also double check if she on any medication or has been recently that cud have cuased the skin to become sensitive!
thanks again!

ps any more suggestions or tips are more than welcome!
xx:)

I would use a thin layer of oil as ZoZo said and I would not use strip wax on her upper lip. I would use a non strip wax (I recommend Perron Rigot) as this is very gentle and only stricks to hair and not to skin. She'll love you forever. xxx

I would completely skip the powder. Use oil only. I actually use strip wax on the upper lip and have never torn skin.... it's all in the technique.. and the use of oil.

I've always found the central area directly under the nose a tricky area to wax. I'm fine with the sides but the nose gets in the way in the middle!

I've seen therapists but one finger either side of the area to get a good stretch, rather like doing a rude V sign. Someone on here recently also suggested applying a cold compress, or just a cold damp cotton wool pad, to the area directly afterwards to take out the heat before applying after wax gel.

Have you thought about maybe trying the non strip waxes such as Perron Rigot? I think they are meant to be 'kinder' to such areas than strip wax. Stick to the hair not the skin etc, especially when used with oil as the waxing geeks suggest.

I'm sorry you've had this experience, it is a terrible feeling I know but I think we all have these moments and just have to learn from it and let it go!! I'd definitely check her medications also.x

I have been using Perron Rigot's Eurose hard wax this week and clients are loving it for their upper lip waxes. One girl actually said, 'all gain and no pain!' and another one was literally flabbergasted how little it hurt and literally the redness disappeared before my eyes as we were booking her next appt.

Latest posts

Back