Waxing over Cesarian Scar?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loulou71

Reaction score
Does anyone know how long a client should wait to have a bikini wax once they've had a C-section please?

Until after their 6 week check and to make sure the scar hasn't had any infections etc.

I was always taught to wait 6 months for any new scar tissue

No real time limit as people heal differently. Once it's healed and isn't too sore. Use hot wax and be careful to keep an eye on what you're doing.

Last edited:
I have scars on my legs from surgery and asked my surgeon how long until I could wax them as I looked like the missing link. He said to wait 12 months as if the scar tissue is weak or deep and still healing you can reopen the wound.

To be sure I'd speak to your training provider to get their advice xxx

Just wanted to add I was a bit naughty and waxed my legs after about 6 months I was careful around the scars especially the deeper ones but i was totally fine xxx

Habia recommends at least 6 months if you are waxing over the scar. I have lots of scars from different surgeries and each one has healed differently. It isn't always whether the scar is healed or not but the return of the nerves can give a very unpleasant sensation in the area of the scar and can be extra sensitive to the heat from the wax, even if it is a low temp one. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to wax over any of my scars within that period. :wink2:

Mine is four years on and still sore when waxed. It was still red raw at 6 weeks so id Deffinatly not use the old six week rule. Its actually pretty serious abdominal surgery and can take up to 12 months to heal.
Just keep thinking how I couldnt even wear knickers that touched mine yet alone waxed it at 6 weeks eeek:what:

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm always guided by my client. If they feel ready to have it waxed once it's healed, then waxing tiny bits at a time with hot wax is fine.

I check everything with a few docs that i know and they agree with me.

If your client was worried about it hurting they will ask you to wax around it.

I would never use strip wax on a recent scar, even if it was healed.

Gosh I couldnt even wear buttoned trousers for 2 years after, stroking it felt like having a dead leg? But like stabbing it with needles, ooh I feel ill at the thought *shudder*

Mind you I guess you have someone asking so they must feel up for it in that sense

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek mobile app

i was always taught 6 months and also i am pretty sure that is what insurance companies stipulate too
theres no way on gods earth you can wax a c section scar after 6 wks unless you want your client going thru the bloomin roof :Scared: i have had 4 abdo surgeries and no way would i let myself or anyone else near my scars till after 6 months , lol

would also like to point out letting the client guide you is negligent , you are the professional and have a duty of care clients do not have the proper anatomy and physiology education to know the risks involved , if you were took to court they would wipe the floor with you , its like clients telling hairdressers nah dont bother with a patch test i will be fine .. some people might risk it but you must be mad if you do

i was always taught 6 months and also i am pretty sure that is what insurance companies stipulate too
theres no way on gods earth you can wax a c section scar after 6 wks unless you want your client going thru the bloomin roof :Scared: i have had 4 abdo surgeries and no way would i let myself or anyone else near my scars till after 6 months , lol

would also like to point out letting the client guide you is negligent , you are the professional and have a duty of care clients do not have the proper anatomy and physiology education to know the risks involved , if you were took to court they would wipe the floor with you , its like clients telling hairdressers nah dont bother with a patch test i will be fine .. some people might risk it but you must be mad if you do
I AM always professional and I ALWAYS take charge.

The point I am trying to make is that if a client WANTS their scar waxed because the hair growing around it is bothering them and it's healed and not sore and is under 6 mths old, then with care and attention I will do it with hot wax only and in tiny bits. I'm not saying 'Oh yeah, go ahead and wax over scars within 6 weeks.' Surely it's a no brainer. If it's not healed and it's still sore, you don't do it.

In actual fact.............you don't need to wax over a scar as the hairs don't usually grow out of scars. You wax very close and around it.

Products and techniques have moved on since many of the insurance companies wrote their policies.

Just like in the old days they used to say that a pregnant woman shouldn't lay flat for more than 20 mins as it would stop the oxygen supply to the baby. The first thing that I say to my heavily pregnant clients is ''You tell me if you need to move about as I'll be guided by you'.

So just to clarify guys. If your client has a scar that has totally healed and is no longer sore, with caution and with hot wax only and ONLY if they really want it waxed, try a tiny it going up close to the scar and see if they want you to continue. If it's clearly not healed and/or they don't want it waxed then don't do it.

Like you say Dee, you wouldn't let anyone near your scar until AFTER six months. It doesn't mean that they weren't healed. Everyone is different. :hug:

Def at least 6 months if not longer as shedunlop has explained very well it's not just the scar ifs the nerve damage you need to beware of. Most def not 6 weeks for a Caesarian scar anyway people are so quick to see a solicitor these days and I doubt the insurance company are going to back you at 6 weeks. Def worth checking with your insurance company

Depends on the time taken to heal the scar completely. Before waxing make sure the scar has been healed completely to avoid infections. As said above use hot wax and keep an eye on what you're doing.

I think the best advice I can give now is to check with your insurance company! It doesn't matter if we think they are being too cautious or not if you don't follow what your insurance stipulates then you could be in big trouble if anything goes wrong at all!

Please, please adhere to what your insurers state, you cannot dismiss what they insist on. Habia, as I mentioned earlier, sets the standard for the industry. I have recently written my waxing courses and everything in them had to adhere to their standards. Things are getting tighter and tighter with gloves having to be worn, no double dipping and waste having to be disposed of by registered hazardous waste management companies so to ignore what your insurers need is just plain wreckless!

am really sorry kim but i have to disagree with you regarding this issue ,
your own opinion is that insurance guidelines are outdated , no doubt most of us agree with it but .. we still adhere to the industry guidelines and laws
would you be willing to stand in court if one of your students is sued ? and they reply well kim told us its out of date and just use our judgement, i can guarantee they would be asked if they had looked at their industry guidelines and insurance and followed protocol,
at the end of the day the rules are put there for a reason wether we agree or not

[FONT=&quot]Hi LouLou, [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Great question, and some really interesting and varied answers on here too! In terms of BABTAC insurance, you need to adhere to training and guidelines for any products and always follow the manufacturer’s recommendations in order to remain compliant. In terms of waxing over c-section scars specifically, there are no exact guidelines or recommendations from an insurance perspective; at BABTAC, we advise to ensure the wound has healed effectively, hasn’t had or doesn’t have any obvious skin infections and of course, to ask if the client is in any discomfort, because scar tissue may affect sensitivity or nerves. To be on the absolute safe side, you can also ask your client to get a medical sign-off or referral from either their GP, nurse or midwife saying that they are happy that the scar has healed effectively. This is of course up to you, but you then have something to fall back on if the client complains. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As an FYI, the BABTAC policy does restrict hair removal from moles, age spots, pigmented areas and Syringoma without a medical referral, but scar tissue is not included. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hope that helps! [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Kind regards [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Jen Hall[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Marketing Manager
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

am really sorry kim but i have to disagree with you regarding this issue ,
your own opinion is that insurance guidelines are outdated , no doubt most of us agree with it but .. we still adhere to the industry guidelines and laws
would you be willing to stand in court if one of your students is sued ? and they reply well kim told us its out of date and just use our judgement, i can guarantee they would be asked if they had looked at their industry guidelines and insurance and followed protocol,
at the end of the day the rules are put there for a reason wether we agree or not
Not all insurance guidelines are outdated but some are Dee. For example, many say that no special training is required for intimate waxing. Just because they say it, it doesn't make it right.

My point is that we as professionals should also make informed judgements as we are the professionals. Just like in any profession, whether it be doctors, dentists, builders etc, things improve and move on and sometimes things change.

I called my insurers this morning and they said exactly the same as I did without any prompting from me and they couldn't actually see anything specific in the guidelines about this subject but they're going to check with the actual brokers so I'll report back when I hear something.

I put my neck on the line on this site with regular advice and I never hide behind anyone or anything. There will no doubt be countless trainers and pro's reading this thread who won't comment. I'm trying to bring waxing into the 21st century. My point is that you use caution, knowledge, experience and common sense at all times and not just time scales.

So what happens if you wax someone after 7mths and your tear their skin? Your insurers will say 'But you should have made in informed judgement whether to go ahead with the waxing or not'.

Absolutely, I would stand by everyone of my students in court. I'm often asked for my professional advice on legal matters by people that I've not trained and by salons who are threatened with being sued. I give honest down to earth advice and I never charge for it.

All insurers are different so you should all follow your own insurers guidelines as they may differ.

Anyway, I'm not getting into any arguments on here or commenting anymore as I've said all I have to say and I stand by it. I do my best to help and I get it kicked back in my face.

Hi guys. For those us insured with Babtac, here is the reply from the actual brokers via BABTAC. Hope this helps clarify things for you all. Thank God it shows that I know what I'm talking about.

'Great question, and some really interesting and varied answers on here too! In terms of BABTAC insurance, you need to adhere to training and guidelines for any products and always follow the manufacturer’s recommendations in order to remain compliant. In terms of waxing over c-section scars specifically, there are no exact guidelines or recommendations from an insurance perspective; at BABTAC, we advise to ensure the wound has healed effectively, hasn’t had or doesn’t have any obvious skin infections and of course, to ask if the client is in any discomfort, because scar tissue may affect sensitivity or nerves. To be on the absolute safe side, you can also ask your client to get a medical sign-off or referral from either their GP, nurse or midwife saying that they are happy that the scar has healed effectively. This is of course up to you, but you then have something to fall back on if the client complains.

As an FYI, the BABTAC policy does restrict hair removal from moles, age spots, pigmented areas and Syringoma without a medical referral, but scar tissue is not included.'

Last edited:
Its sad isn't it that our job is becoming more and more dictated to by the worry of insurance.I think sometimes you do have to just use your common sense or we wouldn't be doing anything on anyone.

Don't touch diabetics,don't do people with high blood pressure,low blood pressure,heart conditions,scarring pigmentation ?? I've just read.well how much pigmentation :rolleyes:.,pregnant women don't touch them with anything other than a feather.Never ever double dip because everyone is riddled with bacterial infections that we will all pass on,
I know we have to be careful but sometimes you maybe have to throw caution to the wind and get on with the job for all our sakes.

Latest posts

Back