We NEED to know!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHEEKY CHICO

Reaction score
Back again!
Okay, what has struck me very early on, is how little the general public actually know about all the different types of nail treatments available.
A 40 year old woman here has just come back from somewhere and shown me her shiny red nails (no enhancements) and is chuffed to bits with them.
WHY?????....well it's the first time she has EVER worn any polish! (i kid you not)
and she was just asking me what the "plastic tip thing" is all about!!
Now this leads me to believe that we as technicians (trainees included!) need to know most, if not all of the systems available, so we can educate and advise as to exactly what is available and what will be most suitable.
After all, you don't go to kwik fit for tyres and as they only stock michelin thats what you have to have??? no, you get a choice.
So yes, whilst everyone has a favourite system that they use should we not be fully trained in every system?..this to me seems logical, but yes it can be expensive, so maybe that's why a lot of people i know only offer one service.
Over to you people....penny for your thoughts!!................

Hi

Yes i do agree to a certain extent, i am trained in all three systems (if you include dips 4 systems) but i have been doing nails since the early 80's. I do feel that you should master one system first before you consider moving on and learning another system. Its all about personal choice to me. I mainly use gel and L+P as they are the systems i prefer, however if i thought someone would be better suited to a wrap system i have it in the salon and i can provide the service.

I usually in my consultation advise the client on which system would be best for her. As i have soft gel and hard gel types plus a dip system and L+P then wraps i have a good range that i can offer.

We do get clients coming in and announcing "i want acrylic nail" etc but to be honest by the time we have finished with our consultation and giving them the benefit of our advice they usually have what we reccomend. Although i do respect our clients wishes i do feel as the professional i know what's best.

What i am trying to say is although clients may want a certain system its not always the best one for them. If i was a client i would rather have a tech who is expert at say L+P rather than one who is average at them all.

Do you see what i am getting at?? Not all systems suit everyone and not all techs like all systems.

you must be kidding ??? 40 and never had a lick of polish on...??? :eek: i'm always learning something new ...

I do agree on this I think all tech's have their favourite system, But all systems should be trained in. I trained in l&p, Fibreglass and gel, Its all about that word that comes up time and time again education. You will get a tech who does one course in one system, goes out working on the general public, Never updates their skills or systems used. I think why there is always more to learn no matter what we do the systems are always being updated and improved on, So always keep ahead and offer your clients the best :wink2:

sssssoooooo true!!!!
i learned to do all systems, what mite suit one, might not suit the other.
the public often say to me'' your the expert, you tell me whats best for my nails.'' I have been doing nails for 15 years and still learning, thats what i love about the nail industry. i keep up with new products and technics, and tell my clients on new things to come.
i have had bad experiences by nail techs who think they know what they are doing, and the Bull S**T they feed you, and when i ask how much training have you done? their reply 'one day course'. Well it shows.
it really pees me off when a client comes to me to fix their nails after some ones esle has hacked at them, they should not even have the title 'NAIL TECHNICIAN'. i have had to stop myself phoning them up to ask why they have been filing holes into nails beds, and then telling the client ''oh its your nails''???!!!
Word of mouth is all i can say, dont these places realised sooner or later their reputation will be damaged?
just like they damage nails, and give false info to the public. what goes around comes around!

Cheeky, are you saying she didn't need tips?

Cathy

Hi Cathy,
She didn't need tips as she has good length nails of her own, but had not put polish on them in any of her 40 years!!!...yeah, i found that amazing too!!
As for not needing tips, somehow she'd not heard of or even seen a false tip before!!! something else amazing!!! Seems there is much educating to do!!

To be a professional full service technician, it is advisable to know all systems well although you will always have your 'favorite' and will gavitate towards that the majority of the time!

Cheeky - does that demonstrate to you changing fashions - how nails and enhancements are moving into the main arena?

Cathy

Yeah you could be right cathy, either that or she just wanted to see what colour went with her for when they dress her up and shut the lid!!!...only joking!!
Chico humour!!!!

Hi there,

As a relatively new nail tech, ( I did my fdfc @creative in November)
I feel really disheartened when i hear people saying that 'how can we call ourselves nail techs?' I worked really hard on my course and sure i realise that there is still loads to learn, but i have had NO complaints from any customers.
When i feel that i have been doing l& p for long enough to say that yes Every set is my best, then I'll train using a different system.
Sorry to sound so heavy but i feel really strongly about this.
I approach every thing in my life with the attitude that I want to do everything I do to the VERY best of my ability.
So cut us some slack when we are learning.

wobbly said:
Hi there,

As a relatively new nail tech, ( I did my fdfc @creative in November)
I feel really disheartened when i hear people saying that 'how can we call ourselves nail techs?' I worked really hard on my course and sure i realise that there is still loads to learn, but i have had NO complaints from any customers.
When i feel that i have been doing l& p for long enough to say that yes Every set is my best, then I'll train using a different system.
Sorry to sound so heavy but i feel really strongly about this.
I approach every thing in my life with the attitude that I want to do everything I do to the VERY best of my ability.
So cut us some slack when we are learning.

Tina don't be disheartened... you are right to have your views and to go in the direction you are heading... slow and steady wins the race.... you have every right to call yourself a nail tek... my point was to say that there is a point when you can happily call yourself full-service and mean it!! I know this wasn't directed at me but just wanted to let you know....

I trained in all systems but I agree most Technicians have there favourite system and lean towards this but it is true to master one rather than trying to run before you can walk as they say

Thanks to everyone that read and gave their opinion on that one.
At the end of the day, we are all still learning and should continue to.
Keeping up with current products and systems as they arrive should enable us all to offer a better service, with better more consistant results, in a reduced time and hopefully at a bigger profit margin!
I'm at the bottom with a long way to go.....but when i reach the top i know i'm gonna be damn good and it would have been worth all the hard work!!
See you all again soon......

Hi Timmyboy I see you're quite new to the site and I welcome your positive comments. You will soon find that Geeks are addicted to education and improving all round standards so I think you will fit in well here.

However as you are quite new to the industry too do not be amazed at the lack of knowledge of both your clients and many of your competitors. There is a lot of scaremongering being bandied about to try and make Clients favour one system over another. For ages it was that l&p is the strongest system so forget the rest, lately it has been that gel is good for your nails and l&p ruins them, perhaps wraps will be the next flavour of the month, who knows?

Good luck with your career.

Hiya Sas, thanks for the welcome. Just like to say, being an ex chef i can relate a lot of what you are saying to the catering industry.
At college we were taught everything, as we needed to know, it just gets fine tuned in the real world.
I worked with a lot of chefs who whilst knew how to cook were still very clueless about certain aspects of food.

Surely if you are in an industry and want to move on and make it a career, it's in your best interests to know as much about your chosen subject as possible. I for one am like a sponge and want to know everything, but it's up to the individual how far they take it at the end of the day.
Hugzzz back.

Latest posts

Back