Website Help Please?!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lainy82

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm just starting out and considering setting up a website. Can you give me any advice or help? Rough costings? And what does it mean by web hosting? Has it helped your business?

Sorry if I'm being dosy but never had a website before?!!! :)

Lainy. xxx

I have my website with Freewebs.com - Free website, free hosting, free webpage - Make a web site with photo albums, blogs, videos, forums and more!. It is very easy to build a good website with them and you can do it cost free. There are templates you can choose from and an online tutorial which is very straightforward. Keep it simple (ie no falling butterflies, etc).

You can pay to get premium status which means that you won't have any advertising banners showing on your website.

Do a search for "website" and loads of threads will come up. Pay particular attention to Seanny's threads. He has a very recent thread on "Frames" which will explain a lot to you too.

hi i'm getting a website done, i think it depends what you want it for really.
As a mobile therapist i can use my website to advertise to clients offers new prices, new treatments, after care and pre care. Its like my shop window i have as a base for example some new people who dont know who i am and what i do may be dubious about booking so the website lets then look at what i do and what i'm about. Like if you didnt like the look of a salon then you wouldnt go in!!
its costing me approx £400.00 i have a freewebs but cant utilise it enough as i dont have time and a good enough understanding of how to get the best from it as ive never done web design.
i think i have to pay about £8 every two years for the name and bit more for the desginer to host and maintain it, tho i swap her facials so that doesnt bother me as much!
figured it was a lot cheaper in the long run to reach more people than paying for bigger pricelists, advertising and leaflets etc. good luck xx

I recently did a website for 1999judy on here, Judy Archibald - Nail Artist and Nail Creation Team UK Educator - she asked for something a bit different that wasn't too pink, hence the red, black and white colour scheme (which her hubby really likes as he supports Manchester United). It's not quite finished yet - I will be adding a few extra pages like an FAQ page, a news page and a links page soon.

I tend to design my websites from scratch rather than using templates, and I am really fussy at making sure they work across a wide range of browsers (even the evil IE6 which behaves quite strangely with some CSS styles if you aren't careful) and always make sure they pass the W3C XHTML and CSS validators (which again is important at making them compatible across lots of different browsers).

What I can also do is create an "admin" page that you can log on to and update the content of your site without having to faff about with things like HTML and FTP - that can be very useful if you have a "news" page on your site, or want to upload new pics to your gallery, or update your price list.

I manage all the hosting myself (I have my own web server) so you wouldn't need to worry about that side of things.

Am always happy to take on board any ideas you have on design, colour scheme as well too, plus advising you on what I think will or won't work.

Hi there

I may be able to help, i currently run a print and design company and am branching into web design. As i am new to this i am currently looking to do simple websites but at a very low cost. I could design a website that included a front page a price list page and a contact page plus hosting and all the technical stuff starting at a very low £150. If you are interested and havent found anywhere else please feel free to contact me on [email protected].

Hope this helps, thank you

Hi all,

I'm just starting out and considering setting up a website. Can you give me any advice or help? Rough costings? And what does it mean by web hosting? Has it helped your business?

Sorry if I'm being dosy but never had a website before?!!! :)

Lainy. xxx

You could give Seanny a shout if you want a website built. He's built websites for quite a few of the Geeks here and I'm sure they'll be happy to give you their honest opinions. His prices are very reasonable too - here's a link to his website:

Nail and Beauty Website Templates

And here's a link to some of the websites he's built:

Finished Nail and Beauty Websites

Jackie
x

Thanks all for your advice. There seems so much to think about! I have choosen my required domain and it is free. I would like to design my own using a website builder attached to a web host. But can anyone recommend a good website, but reasonable too because I only have a very small budjet at the moment!! Thanks in advance. xx :rolleyes:

Hello

I have pm'd you

cheers

This place is very good and I know quite a few geeks use it:

1&1 Internet Ltd.

Jackie

Thanks Jackie, I took a look at these the other day and was tempted until a guy at work told me to steer clear beacause of fraud and a law suit he is dealing with them!!! x

Dunno what your workmate is referring to? Is he the owner of a rival hosting company perhaps? LOL We've been with 1and1 for several years without any hassle whatsoever, and as Jackie has said, lots of geeks are also using them and havent heard any negative feedback as yet.

Anyway, there are plenty of Hosting companies to choose from, just make sure to check exactly what you are getting for your money before you hand it over. Some of the companies will actually let you use the website builder in a trial run to see how well you manage, so why not do that .....get your feet wet, so to speak. :)

Have fun!

Thanks all for your advice. There seems so much to think about! I have choosen my required domain and it is free. I would like to design my own using a website builder attached to a web host. But can anyone recommend a good website, but reasonable too because I only have a very small budjet at the moment!! Thanks in advance. xx :rolleyes:

Hi there, I know a fantastic company who do exactly what you are after, the are webdomainspro. They have a website builder attached to a host and you can transfer your domain name to them, or just buy one from them.

I built my website using them, have a look on Select Nailcare I pay £30 a year.

Hope this helps

Natalie

xx

Latest posts

Back