What acrylic powder to go with etc

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kizzycat

Reaction score
Hello there. I have nearly finished my acrylic nail extension course and i am just using millenium nails own acrylic powder which is something like £4.50 for 50ml. My friend has her acrylic nails done at a salon and has her infils done every 3 weeks and they are free form(i think that is the correct term) where they put the white acrylic on then pink on top. I was looking at them the other day and thought to myself the colour of hers looks absolutely nothing like mine. Is there much difference between colours in different products? is product choice more important than application or is it a 50/50 thing. would be grateful if you could give me an idea of how much the same size pot would cost in another make?

I am loving doing the training and i think i have mastered the art of applying the white tips. We have not been shown (nor is it covered in the training at college) how to do the white acrylic powder and the smile lines. i have been trying to teach myself how to do that. What i would also like to kknow is that If I put white tips on someone and they come back for a rebalance and i do that surely somewhere down the line the tips are going to disappear off the free edge. What do you say to the customer when their "french" nails have gone and they are just left with pink and a tiny white line accross the top of the free edge.

Also what is l&p? sorry for so many questions. i have learned absolutely loads from this site and cant wait for my next victim i mean volunteer to have plain tips on so i can try the tutorial of getting the perfect smile.

thanks in advnace

Hiya Kizzy, glad you put that post on here. I too am not sure of the whole french tip powder thing and will read any replies with interest. By the way, L&P is liquid and powder.
Cheers,
Claire

kizzycat said:
Hello there. I have nearly finished my acrylic nail extension course and i am just using millenium nails own acrylic powder which is something like £4.50 for 50ml. My friend has her acrylic nails done at a salon and has her infils done every 3 weeks and they are free form(i think that is the correct term) where they put the white acrylic on then pink on top. I was looking at them the other day and thought to myself the colour of hers looks absolutely nothing like mine. Is there much difference between colours in different products? is product choice more important than application or is it a 50/50 thing. would be grateful if you could give me an idea of how much the same size pot would cost in another make?

I am loving doing the training and i think i have mastered the art of applying the white tips. We have not been shown (nor is it covered in the training at college) how to do the white acrylic powder and the smile lines. i have been trying to teach myself how to do that. What i would also like to kknow is that If I put white tips on someone and they come back for a rebalance and i do that surely somewhere down the line the tips are going to disappear off the free edge. What do you say to the customer when their "french" nails have gone and they are just left with pink and a tiny white line accross the top of the free edge.

Also what is l&p? sorry for so many questions. i have learned absolutely loads from this site and cant wait for my next victim i mean volunteer to have plain tips on so i can try the tutorial of getting the perfect smile.

thanks in advnace

hey kizzy cat i
believe we had a chat in the chatroom the other night.
If you want some honest sound advice.
Call creative and do an induction course with them.
i trained with a company which was rubbish, bought a video, tried this product and that and wasted time and money because I wasn't satisfied.
I bought the encyclopedia of nails by jacqui jefford and anne swaine who I believe are creative trained, reading this book helped me alot but I wanted more. Creative had the more I 've been looking for.
If only I'd have known now what I knew then I would have booked with creative. When I first logged on to this site I logged off again after reading a few posts because I thought they were biased.

Basically its like this it does what it says on the tin (in other words) everything that creative has claimed to be they are.
If you want to be the best train with the best and use the best products
It may seem expensive now but in the long run it will work out.

L+P stands for liquid and powder which is commonly known as acrylic.
You can get 1-2-1 I can't remember what you are using now but you get what you pay for

hope this helps

love and blessings
chemine the born again nail geek queen

Hi Chemine, I too have paid for a course that falls short of adequate and am booking to do the Creative Foundation asap. Like you said, you get what you pay for and there is no cheats way in. Eventually lack of good training shows... but before I book it, has anybody done the NSI training?

Chemz Nailz said:
hey kizzy cat i
believe we had a chat in the chatroom the other night.
If you want some honest sound advice.
Call creative and do an induction course with them.
i trained with a company which was rubbish, bought a video, tried this product and that and wasted time and money because I wasn't satisfied.
I bought the encyclopedia of nails by jacqui jefford and anne swaine who I believe are creative trained, reading this book helped me alot but I wanted more. Creative had the more I 've been looking for.
If only I'd have known now what I knew then I would have booked with creative. When I first logged on to this site I logged off again after reading a few posts because I thought they were biased.

Basically its like this it does what it says on the tin (in other words) everything that creative has claimed to be they are.
If you want to be the best train with the best and use the best products
It may seem expensive now but in the long run it will work out.

L+P stands for liquid and powder which is commonly known as acrylic.
You can get 1-2-1 I can't remember what you are using now but you get what you pay for

hope this helps

love and blessings
chemine the born again nail geek queen

i havn't trained with nsi but i have used some of their products and they are great as is the service from the company. i am sure i have read that their training is excellent have you tried a search?

kizzycat said:

thanks in advnace
The white tips are good but, only last around 6 weeks, then it's time to soak off and start again. Why not try putting clear L&P over the white tip (zone1) then create your smile line (if you get it wrong, no one will notice! Place pink in zones 2&3 then,(this way the white tip stays white not rose white!) when the tips grow out, thin zone 1 till very thin bieng very careful with abrasives (180/240 is fine) and replace with white Liquid and powder.If you need some help with mix ratio, send me an e-mail and i'll explain. otherwise,Creative run brilliant conversion courses where you learn mix rato and loads of other "must knows".- well worth giving them a call.
icon_biggrin.gif
the after care and tech support are ALWAYS THERE TO HELP.

blonde bombsite said:
Hi Chemine, I too have paid for a course that falls short of adequate and am booking to do the Creative Foundation asap. Like you said, you get what you pay for and there is no cheats way in. Eventually lack of good training shows... but before I book it, has anybody done the NSI training?

Hi Blonde Bombsite, I trained with NSI 2 years ago. My experience was not entirely satisfactary.There were more booked on the course than advertised, which meant that the trainer-student ratio was about 1-8. It may seem trivialbut when youve paid so much money you need the help.To put this in perspective the first day we had 2 trainers but the second day just the one. So you see 1-16. The other thing for me was the after care, or in my case the lack of. I would ring to speak to the trainers as they said you could do, but I never got my calls returned.And, (I know i'm going on a bit), when I'd ring to order product, the girls in the shop did'nt know anything about them and you guesed it, I did'nt get my questions answered.
So, I would definately look for a company that has excellent after care. Thats what you'll need the most once you've completed a foundation course.
Hope that helps!

i did try doing this a couple of weeks ago. our tutor showed us how to blend white tips to use on people who have short nails beds so you give the impression of a longer nail bed (although i dont really like them done this way cause sometimes you can see the free edge under the white) anyway, veering off what i want to say... when i blended the white i thought i would have a try putting the white acrylic over the white tip but bring it down just slightly over the white tip.....result........ 2 smile lines for the price of one. the white was more opaque than the white tip, did not know if this was use of crap product or being too wet. also the other problem i had was when i filed them down , there seemed to be morewhiter bits, dont know if i pulled the pink too far over the white and did not file it down enough, but there were definately white "patches" on some.

My advise to you would be to ditch the white tips and practise your smiles.
Also I would never ever blend a white tip and I am sure this should not be taught.
Jmo

lell said:
Also I would never ever blend a white tip and I am sure this should not be taught.
Jmo
You can customise a white tip to give the illusion of a long nail plate with a deep smile if you use your abrasive at a 45* angle, but not blend. Although I prefer to sculpt with white l&p and use twighlight, flawless and intense pink for zone 2&3.

lell said:
Jmo

yes there were a few of us in the class looking a bit bemused when she said to blend the tip in, she said she would not use it in her salon but whatever qualification it is we are taking says it needs to be covered. it also tells her she needs to teach us how to use acrylic nippers to cut the acrylic that has lifted which i thought was an absolute "no no". and i do not use them at all.

Sorry Kizzycat, but I am appalled at some of the things you are saying about your training. I am not in any way getting at you, I hope you understand that.

You mention acrylic powder as if it is a stand alone product rather than in conjunction with your liquid monomer - have you been told at college that they should come as one and not mixed with say one company's polymer (powder) and another company's monomer (liquid).

I am also disappointed that you are being trained using white tips and not taught how to do smile lines. As you say - what happens when the white tip grows out and you need to do a French rebalance - you need to be able to do a smile line with your white product.

In your final message you state that whatever qualification you are doing must state blending white tips needs to be covered. Do you not know what qualification you are doing?

Sorry if this sounds harsh but if this is an NVQ that you are doing then this is supposedly the standard that we should all be aspiring to - God I hope not!

hiya,

i trained to do acrylic with Nailorder after training to do gel at college, (they're local to me, as well as pompadours - although i don't know if pompadour is a national company or just round my area :irked: ) anyway, i thought their l&p was excellent value for money as well as being a really good product. i haven't tried nsi or creative so i can't really comment on their products! the people that work there are also really nice and helpful if you're stuck or have any problems. After i trained there my mum did a conversion course with them (she trained with star originally) and now she also rates their products. Like i say i havn't tried creative products (i know a LOT of people on here rate it).

I too am shocked at the course content! Why would you need to blend a white tip? isnt the point of them to have a precise smile line?
You should be taught how to create 3 three things with liquid and powder:
1) a pink and white nail using p&w powder on a natural tip 2) a natural tip with a clear overlay 3) Sculpted nails

All nail courses should cover these. Have a read thru the tutorials and practice your smiles.

Hiya Michelle. Thanks for the tip re NSI. Will defo bear this in mind when considering which one to go with. The NSI is a bit cheaper than Creative but will have to weigh up the pros and cons.Thanks again. Claire

miclaire said:
Hi Blonde Bombsite, I trained with NSI 2 years ago. My experience was not entirely satisfactary.There were more booked on the course than advertised, which meant that the trainer-student ratio was about 1-8. It may seem trivialbut when youve paid so much money you need the help.To put this in perspective the first day we had 2 trainers but the second day just the one. So you see 1-16. The other thing for me was the after care, or in my case the lack of. I would ring to speak to the trainers as they said you could do, but I never got my calls returned.And, (I know i'm going on a bit), when I'd ring to order product, the girls in the shop did'nt know anything about them and you guesed it, I did'nt get my questions answered.
So, I would definately look for a company that has excellent after care. Thats what you'll need the most once you've completed a foundation course.
Hope that helps!

Hi there,
just to say that I wasn't taught natural tip and clear overlay or sculpting on my Creative foundation course. It was intense enough learning just natural tip with pink and white powder! But I was only taught the one thing

blonde bombsite said:
Hiya Michelle. Thanks for the tip re NSI. Will defo bear this in mind when considering which one to go with. The NSI is a bit cheaper than Creative but will have to weigh up the pros and cons.Thanks again. Claire

DONZIE said:
Hi there,
just to say that I wasn't taught natural tip and clear overlay or sculpting on my Creative foundation course. It was intense enough learning just natural tip with pink and white powder! But I was only taught the one thing

Same here Donzie, we got shown a sculpted but never actually done one. I'm not at all surprised by the disgusting training that Kizzycat has had as I had the same. I have just completed my foundation with creative where I got my first taste of P & W, preperation, blending without acetone etc. etc.
I wonder if you went to the same college as me Kizzycat with the same tutor?

hi blonde bombsite
I've used both nsi and creative
i didn't train with nsi i just bought their product

nsi attraction liquid stinks and i experienced alot of lifting.
With creative you can retail, good aftercare and educational back up the more I know about this company the more I want them to teach me about nails.

I'm going to book the skill building class as soon as I raise the funds.

i dont think it is a creative course. it is at a local college - i have done two 10 week courses, the first 10 weeks were only natural tips or overlays (she has failed to even tell us what the difference between the two are if any) and we covered blending a natural tip and putting the clear acrylic over the nail in three stages , we have not once been shown how to tidy up the cuticle area, any papers we handed in were taken from the internet where i downloaded information like contra indications, etc and handed it in. i have just found the paperwork and there is no title as to what i am working towards, i will ask next week, it just says basic nail extensions and improvers course. we are doing in fils at the minute.i would have liked to do more freehand smiles but i dont think we will be covering that as there is only 4 weeks left of the course. good job i found this site isnt it lol.

kiz

Latest posts

Back