What are you business hours? I'm having trouble setting mine

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kel's25

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So im working above a hairdressers been there a year now, pleased to say business is going good.

But I am having trouble with my working hours, at the mo im working

MONDAY closed
TUESDAY 9- till 7.30
WEDNESDAY 9 - till 7
THURSDAY 9 till 7/8ish (4pm till 8 is spray tans £15 i hire someone to do spray tans, and i go next door in a small rm to do nails)
FRIDAY 9 - till 5.30/7 ish
SATURDAY 8/9 - till 3/5

My problem is im getting so tired with working so late and never sit down and eat dinner with the husband. But i love my job and hate turning people away or saying no! I want to be everyones therapist! lol

I dont know wether to cut my hours down and finish at 5.30 and do wednesday to 7/8 and keep thursdays as a nail only late night till 7.

Any ideas would be great xxx

Hi Guys,

So im working above a hairdressers been there a year now, pleased to say business is going good.

But I am having trouble with my working hours, at the mo im working

MONDAY closed
TUESDAY 9- till 7.30
WEDNESDAY 9 - till 7
THURSDAY 9 till 7/8ish (4pm till 8 is spray tans £15 i hire someone to do spray tans, and i go next door in a small rm to do nails)
FRIDAY 9 - till 5.30/7 ish
SATURDAY 8/9 - till 3/5

My problem is im getting so tired with working so late and never sit down and eat dinner with the husband. But i love my job and hate turning people away or saying no! I want to be everyones therapist! lol

I dont know wether to cut my hours down and finish at 5.30 and do wednesday to 7/8 and keep thursdays as a nail only late night till 7.

Any ideas would be great xxx

i know what you mean i had this too.
i wanted to leave around 7pm every day but was sooo tired and i was 5 months preg so i knew it was abit unrealistic to carry on.

i open on monday till 6pm as most of the ones near me close.
tuesdays closed unlesss i get a group booking/party.
wednesday i close at 7/8pm
thursday i close at 4.30pm.
friday and sat i open till 6pm.

i just did one late night because its all i can manage for now.
maybe if you do wednesday,thursday and friday late night as this will make it easier for people before weekend. and finish earlier on tuesday like 5.pm

Hi,
Its fab your so busy...why not take on a p/t therapist? expand your business...maybe then you could have a day off doing treatments during the week for paperwork/shopping ect and an afternoon/evening off where you may just need to go lock up ..just some thoughts...Hope you find a solution.:)

Why not do one really late like 9pm and shut earlier on other days?

Becki xxx

I know how you feel, I do:

Mon 9-5
Tue Closed
Wed 10-8
Thur 10-8
Fri 9-5
Sat 9-4

I still end up working over those hours lol

Im thinking of starting at 10.00 every day though.....

Its interesting to see peoples working hours....

I'm available for appointments from 8am until 10pm 7 days a week. I'm not fully booked, thank goodness, but I very often work Sundays.
At this stage of my business I feel I need to be flexible and accommodating. The time will come when I can structure my hours more sensibly, but that time is not now.

I know how you feel, I do:

Mon 9-5
Tue Closed
Wed 10-8
Thur 10-8
Fri 9-5
Sat 9-4

I still end up working over those hours lol

Im thinking of starting at 10.00 every day though.....

Its interesting to see peoples working hours....

i cloes tuesdays too.. i dont no anyone else that does.

Blimey Lynne if I did that mine would book every minute up.....ive worked this afternoon on my day off so I can get clients in......

Ive done a good few 12 hour days and I was shattered, Im trying hard to stick to the opening hours, its difficult though..

Leonnib - Im the only one in the area to open on a Monday, thats why I chose to open, its quite busy too...

This is a big problem for me too, as I find it so hard to turn clients away. And every time I re-work my hours, well, I never stick to them.

It's become an issue in my personal/family life, so I am going to try again, and what I am considering is what someone else has suggested - just do ONE late night per week. I am also going to try to limit my Saturday appointments to mornings only.

I also went through my diary for the last 3 months and worked out how much money I had taken after 6pm, so I could consider if I could afford to give it up. (Although the choice is not only about money, because when you look at your evening clientele, you will see clients you really like, who have been loyal etc, and you will not feel good about letting them go.)

The problem is, with accomodating clients because they want you to, and then ending up working all the hours god sends - what you are actually doing is putting the client FIRST and your home life SECOND.

Money and success is not everything, but it's a matter of personal choice, weighing up the advantages and disadvantages of the situation.

Having owned my salon for 14 years I've got to the stage where I'm not really willing to accommodate every single client's request for appointment times - you can never please everybody and I feel I give 110% when I am at work.
My hours are
Mon - closed
Tues - 10-5.30
Wed - 10-8
Thurs - 10-6
Fri - 10-5
Sat - 9-5
I think 40 odd hours at work each week is enough as well as being sustainable in the longterm.
We have also added thursdays as an extra late night til 8pm, just for the summer months when we are busier. We'll revert back to 'winter' hours in september.
I also have every 3rd thursday off which I look forward to as a little treat.
I just think we all need balance in our lives. I enjoy being at the salon because I don't do ridiculous hours, and I think that way you have more to 'give' your clients instead of being a tired out wreck.
Hope that helps x

Although I like being busy, I would rather turn a client away than let it interfere in work/life balance as working too much is the quick way to burn-out & sloppy treatments. I work:

Monday - Closed
Tuesday - 9 to 5
Wednesday - 9 to 5
Thursday - 9 to 7
Friday - 9 to 5
Saturday - 9 to 1

I sometimes do a couple more lates a week, but only if it's desperate!

Monday-closed
Tuesday - 10-6
Wednesday - 10-6
Thursday -10-9
Friday - 10-9
Saturday _ 10-6

I used to open 10-6 on Mondays as well but i just wasn't getting enough time at home.
I now have Sundays and Mondays at home although these are the days that i go to the cash and carry, print leflets etc... :irked:

I have found that the late nights get booked in quite easily. I had a client today ring for an appointment on a Thursday evening and i couldn't get her in this week or next week.
I think a lot of people like to have late appointments as it fits in well with them so maybe you could do a late opening with a late evening, say 2-10 one day, that way you at least get the morning at home.

Although I like being busy, I would rather turn a client away than let it interfere in work/life balance as working too much is the quick way to burn-out & sloppy treatments. I work:

Monday - Closed
Tuesday - 9 to 5
Wednesday - 9 to 5
Thursday - 9 to 7
Friday - 9 to 5
Saturday - 9 to 1

Very sensible. Just going to copy that down and use it myself :biggrin:

Blimey Lynne if I did that mine would book every minute up.....ive worked this afternoon on my day off so I can get clients in......

Ive done a good few 12 hour days and I was shattered, Im trying hard to stick to the opening hours, its difficult though..

Leonnib - Im the only one in the area to open on a Monday, thats why I chose to open, its quite busy too...

yeah thats why i opened on mondays too.. its a good idea

Tuesday would be my choice of day off, as I seem to be busy on Mondays. A great start to the week money-wise!

Very sensible. Just going to copy that down and use it myself :biggrin:

Well I don't like to push myself too hard! Mind you, when you add the paperwork onto it the hours extend somewhat beyond 5.00!!

Tuesday would be my choice of day off, as I seem to be busy on Mondays. A great start to the week money-wise!

I could do with 2 Tuesdays a week at the moment - everybody wants them!!! It's funny how it differs isn't it?

My working hours are:

Monday: 9am - 3pm, 6:30pm - 10pm
Tuesday:9am - 3pm, 6:30pm - 10pm
Wednesday: 9am - 3pm, 6:30pm - 10pm
Thursday: 9am - 3pm
Friday: 9am - 3pm
Saturday: Closed

I was working Thursday nights as well but as Zoe and others have said I was struggling with a work/home life balance. By cutting Thursday evening (except at really busy times like Christmas) I feel I have a much better balance of time at home. Btw, I have primary school age kids, hence the break between 3pm and 6:30pm every day and I'm mobile so I can 'shut up shop'!

I don't have any opening hours or a set day off I just work when ever someone wants me.
This normally means I work every evening until about half 9-10 I think I would find it very difficult to have set hours simply because my clients know they just need to call and I will fit them in when they want.

I am finding it a bit tiring but needs must :hug:

This is a problem - I find in term time I work 9.30 - 3.00 and then 6.00 - 9.00pm. I find I end up working 4 evenings which can be very tiring and my Husband is not keen! I do have daytime clients as well but it is the long evenings that make me tired. I have started to do some as early as 4.30pm as my son is getting older but I would love to cut it down and have more come in the day.

Monday - Closed
Tuesday - 9 to 5
Wednesday - 9 to 5
Thursday - 9 to 7
Friday - 9 to 5
Saturday - 9 to 1

couldn't agree more. You need to work ON your business, not IN it (great quote from some business guru - name escapes me)! You have to work out whether it can somethimes be more costly to open than to close! We are closed on Mondays. We have one late night on a Thursday and finish at 6 on a Friday. We open at 0930 (we really have no call to be open at 7 am)!

Working hard at your business does not mean having to bow down to every single last demand from your customers. You have to get the balance right, otherwise, like already said, you cannot give all to the treatments. I think being 'on-call' so to speak to your clients is not necessary to be successful! More important to be professional and on the ball!

Latest posts

Back