What could this mark be?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FleurNails96

Reaction score
When infilling my clients nails there was a black smudge/line horizontal across the nail plate. I soaked off the acrylic however it left a small stain. (See photos)

It was only affecting one nail, and I'm pretty sure it isn't a greenie, but just confused as to how the nail could have been stained.

My client was quite worried as she'd seen a post on Facebook saying that black marks on the nails could indicate cancer, obviously we can't give medical advice as nail technicians so I said if she was concerned I'd leave the acrylic off and she should visit her GP. Long story short she didn't want to be missing one nail so I said I'd ask the lovely people on salon geek!

I'm not too concerned about it as it is barely visible, but if anyone else has any insight as to what it may be?

First photo is after removing acrylic, second photo is after Primer
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1503584645.734922.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1503584701.656392.jpg

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1503584701.656392.jpg

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1503584645.734922.jpg

Looks like a bruise to me, probably from the extra length, she's probably knocked it wiping down kitchen worktop, digging around in the bottom of her handbag, etc. Its the longest finger so more likely to have impact damage from rummaging, working, cleaning,etc. It's perfectly on the stress area which is exactly what is says it is, so most likely to show any damage.

Definitely nothing like the 'black marks on nails means cancer' thing currently going round FB which is seriously giving me the rage :mad:. I'm all for knowledge is power and letting people know of potential problems, but come on people, do your own research. I've posted a link on some of the post pointing to an article in Nails Magazine about this very issue which clearly says the marks are usually nothing serious, CAN be melanoma but it's uncommon in causicans and usually seen in darker skinned people. Of course you should always refer clients to a doctor for ANYTHING you are unsure about, but don't panic them for no reason.

Thanks! I'll let her know, I was trying to explain that it was most likely just a bruise but I think she was a little freaked out after seeing that particular Facebook post [emoji51]

There's so much misinformation around, especially if you throw googling your symptoms into the mix!

Latest posts

Back