What do I need to open a beauty salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi kaala

well done to you for having the passion and strength to do this !!!! you have put a big smile on my face knowing the fact there are other people like me out there

i'm in the same situation as you.. i have an amazing business plan that i want to developed in the future .. i have some beauty experience but it's over ten years old but i have always kept my fingers in the pie now and then,while working fulltime as a business travel roadshow consultant.

i have now decided to re train in an itec beauty course with the help of my local council .with the hope i can in the next 18 months take the next step and move on with the next phrase in my plan..

please dont be dishearted by other peoples comments.. cos you only have one life so live it to the full

C X

Hi hun

I can understand why everyone is shocked at your accountant, but there are other ways of steping into the industry
slowly rather than jumping straight in.

Have you ever considered firstly getting some beauty equiptment that comes with training free as then you could start your beauty business and build up your clientel slowly and easyley wihtout the hugh outlay of buying a salon . After and when you have a small but steady income from that you can then add another bow to your string.

Gradually build your business up untill you have a good income and cklientel to move accross to a salon.

I would start wiht non surgical face lift machine as it reduces fine lines and wrinkles after just one treatment. Its easly portable and usually come in a travel case. I have been with a cpompany called body ultimate for years and they are brilliant. they offer free training to anyone (You dont even have to have a beauty background you also get your qualification fully certified. trainig is very quick and can be done in two days) all your skincare products and warrenty. They do a lease purchase with no deposit which only costs you £35 a week. Thats only the cost of one half an hour treatment.

After you have a few clients coming to see you then maybe do a nail course and start offering nail treatments mobile as well.

When you have a few courses undser your belt and a god income coming in and a bit more experiance then start to thn about opening a slaon

Hope that heps

(By the way body ultimate offer a free no obligation demostartion to show you just what this machine can do for you

Then when that

Hi,

Interesting replies. I am not a hair care/beauty professional but do have an interest in the industry.

I do not think that qualifications are necessary to own a salon - so long as you have someone managing the salon who does have them and the necessary experience.

In my experience, there are three aspects to running a Salon.

1. Good staff who offer an excellent service
2. Good Business management
3. Excellent PR and marketing

The people shooting you down because they have a qualification in hairdressing and you don't are a tad shortsighted. However, I do understand their frustration. Many entrepreneurs do not have qualifications in the industry they are eventually successful in but do employ people who are qualified. This may seem unfair and may well be!

It may be that you have skills in one of the other two areas and so can enter into a JV (Joint Venture) with partners who can bring in the other two areas.

As for starting a salon, I would estimate that you need to budget between £40K to £200K depending on size, location and target demographic.

Almost before considering a salon, you should consider the customer. Who will it be? Why will they come to you and not the competition? What is your USP (unique Selling Point)? And how can you maintain it? Where will you get quality staff from? Will they be right for thesegment of the market you are targeting? What is the head count within a 1,5 and 10 mile radius and the average income by post code. Really, I think these issues should be considered before embarking any further on a business plan.

However, I am a businessman and not a hairdresser so my angle is different. Just to reiterate, I know little about hairdressing and so surround myself with brilliant, exciting people who do.

For an average business. However, if this is your first venture the size of the business should rely heavily on the experience of your partners.

Ensure that you seek appropriate advice and carry out as much research as you can before putting a plan together. Then do it again from a different angle.

This is my first posting and I would just like to see how energetic I have found the threads to be. Later on in the threads there has been some excellent advice offered.

As a side issue, you may find the following links of use (I am not sure if they have been posted before because I gave up on page 3!)

How to Open a Salon or Day Spa - Entrepreneur.com
Sample Business Plan for Hair and Beauty Salon | MoreBusiness.com

Last edited:
Hi,

I would like to open a beauty salon. I am working at the moment as a freelance beautician and make-up artist.
can you tell me how I get a government loan?!
thanks

Hi Kalaa,

Did you opened your salon? I was looking for some advice on opening my own salon in the next one or two years and I came across your entry and I was wondering if anyone actually answered your question?

Opening a salon and spa has been my life long dream and now not too distant goal but while reading the replies to your question I could not help but notice that almost all the responses seemed to be telling you how difficult it is to run a salon or that your idea was naiive?

I'm interested to know why so many women in the beauty industry are negative and quick to judge. I find this strange because it's my opinion that our work centres around uplifting women (and men) and enhancing their lives by offering feel-good services?

I would also like to know the answers to some of the questions you asked but I feel a little hesitant to ask for fear of being pounced on by busy-body know-it-alls offering little or no advice:irked:

Last edited:
I have opened hair and beauty salons. While I agree that it is possible without being a hair or beauty pro, it would make life much more difficult. It costs more than most people estimate. So while it is not impossible to start a salon with no knowledge or clientele it is an extremely risky strategy.

I've done it - opened a salon with no previous beauty experience. I found fab premises, fab location, fab staff, fab husband etc

We are 8 months old and I hold my hands up, I was sooooo naive. I have made more mistakes in the last year than I have made in a 25 year career reaching senior management, spent double and more of my carefully calculated but generous budget, have been under a huge amount of stress, my normally reliable marriage has been rocked, I've hardly seen my family, I've cried buckets, laughed more and am going through the fight of my life to stay on top of a lack of cash flow from ironically, getting too successful. This led to growing too quickly, employing too many staff, expanding my premises too quickly - oh, and forgetting to pay my quarterly tax bill (how on earth did I forget that, lol!).

When I get through this and out the other side, it will be by the grace and kindness of a particular geek (you all think she is the toughest cookie, she's been absolutely fantastic to me), my AMAZING staff (I cannot underestimate this), an iron resolve, a thicker skin, becoming resourceful, and being absolutely determined not to give up. Fortunately, the clientele is growing and fast becoming loyal regulars and again, my staff are possibly the hardest working most supportive bunch ever.

It's really, really tough if you are very experienced in this industry - it's very nearly impossible if you aren't and would I do it again? Don't know, but I would have bought myself a set of balls of steel first.

This site is great and I prefer the straight talking, no nonsense advice - it's from experience and you can't buy that.

Thanks, MrsMac

I don't think the replies here have been negative. To be honest, given the OP's post, they have been kindly telling her that she is nuts!

Would I try and open a business in a different sector that I had no idea about in the middle of a recession? no, I would be nuts to contemplate it.

1 in 3 salons go bust in their first 2 years. The survival rate in our industry is low. With hair, experienced staff will run rings around you unless you know every trick in the book.

To start a salon with the express intention of using loans, then saying it doesnt matter if it goes bust is both misguided and dangerous. My Father took out a business loan that he thought were those terms, and because he had a house, it had to be paid back. Bankruptcy is not a fun thing to go through.

My experience is that anyone looking for a loan to start a salon generally has to match the bank/ lenders amount using their own cash. There is no free or easy way to get where I am.

I can say hand on heart that the only way I got my salons through this recession was because we had no borrowings. Had we been paying back loans, it would have been impossible, as cash flow has been so difficult.

So what has been described as bitchy and negative has really been sound advice from people who know what they are talking about, you just don't like what they are saying.

There is no quick/cheap/easy way to being a salon owner. Sorry.

I think if you had great business experience and qualifications and a vast amount of research and planning it will help you run a successful salon even f you don't have have hair/beauty qualifications. For someone who has no business or hair/beauty experience or qualifications it sounds very risky.

It is common for people who have no knowledge to assume what is needed or how difficult something can be, but ignorance or a little knowledge can be dangerous. Salons fail because people have little knowledge of the industry but also due to lack of business skills.

I would recommend a good business course as well as beauty and hair qualifications and then you will realise what is involved in both areas. I have seen and heard of hair and beauty therapists to have years of experience and certificates coming out of their ears, but with lack of business knowledge they fail to use effective marketing techniques, including market research, their cash flow turns rocky, they have difficulty managing a team successfully and they make poor business decisions which can lead to a failed business or bankruptcy.

I often read on this site of individuals complaining of peoples perception of the beauty and hair industry, assuming its easy or being unprofessional, but the same goes with business it is extremely complex and is not for the faint hearted nor naive individuals who have several years experience with carrying out treatments.

sorry but this is all a dream i would liek to open a salon but im trained and i have the business behind me but you have nothing you should trian for a ew years work in a salon and then think about it you need to passinate about it you just cant say i want to open a salon just because its a growing market :/

Thanks
austin x

I happened to come across this thread whilst searching and have read through it. Some interesting veiws!

Although what I am interested in is whether the OP opened her salon or not? And If so how did you get on? Since its almost 4 years since this post was started :)

Hi kaala

I don't post often as I also feel that most questions can be answered by the search facility.

Whilst I agree with most geeks and also feel slightly annoyed/frustrated with the general attitude that anyone can open a salon with no training or understanding of the industry, especially when I have devoted 15 years to the industry.. I can also sense your determination to make this work.
I do also agree with other geeks that it is perhaps your approach to this thread which has got others ruffled.
You must understand that our industry is full of "quacks" and others making a quick buck, always at the expense of our clients and therefor giving the industry a bad name and also cheapening our precious industry. I'm not saying that this is what you intend to do, just that it happens alot.

However on a positive note I have opened and run 2 successful salons for owners that have no beauty experience ,both fashion background ) as well as working for the amazing Thea green/ nails inc who I find truely inspirational in what she has achieved.
You can do it if you have the knowledge, drive ,determination and patience.
The salons I have opened and run have relied heavily on me to advise on products,staffing ,costings,payroll, flexibility to stay late/ open early according to the needs of the business as well as being honest, trustworthy and loyal. I didn't come cheap ;)

I have tried to answer your points step by step as per ur opening post:

, I want to include, hairdressing, nails, st tropez spray tan, dermoligica facials and massage.

* reasearch your products, dermologicadoes not seem to offer salon loyalty ... Do a quick search on here and see of that is really the brand best to support a new salon... Are there others that will support u better and help you more (ie not selling online for cheaper)
St tropes is not the only well known fake tab, look into novotan, Siena x etc to name a few and see which one will suit and support your business better.

What equipment will I need?
Generally a couch, steamer, nail table, mag lamps, uv lamp (if offer gel etc... Look into the brand you wish to provide) correct stools for therapist, foot spas. It all depends o the services you rill provide.Don't forget all the disposables, towels, couch roll, sterilising equipt, bowels, the list is endless

How much space will I need?
Depends on staff levels, treatment rooms etc
How many workers will I need?
I'd start small and grow into your staff. Do not expect a full diary with out a client base. As suggested you may want to rent out a room, chair,or table to start with and then employ a part timer and work up. Staff can be the biggest problem for salons!

What licences do I need?
Depends where you are based. You will need a special treatment license through your local council. The salons I opened needed to hold an a1 license as well as each therapist applying for a treatment license from the local council.
What insurance do I need?
The best you can afford... Use the search facility on salon geek.

How much will it cost to turn the space into a salon? We started with 40k just to start and open the doors. You may want to put aside 6 months rent/ wages etc so you are covered for a while
Who do I get to do it?

Do what?
How much do hairdressers get paid or how they get paid? (I heard sometime its commission based)
Remember you pay peanuts you get monkeys. You need people with experience or you will get stuck!
You can do min wage and comission, you could do a fixed rate rent or self employed on % that way there responsible for there own taxes etc.
There is a geek called Jemima who has (what I think ) a great pay scheme where the therapists can earn extra per hour depending on bookings... Try and do a search.

I want two beauty technicians who can do nails, facials,tans and massages, how much do they cost?
See above
What level of training is required and how do I check?
Personally I'd go for someone with loads of experience as that will be more of a benefit then someone with every qualification and no experience. Generally I won't take on less then level 3 nvq + experience.

How do I make sense of the mintel reports?

Never used it, I've found my clients will eat beans on toast for a month rather then go without there waxing, nails etc. it is also very regional what and how much people will spend

What is the average cost of starting up a salon from scratch? You can start small with less then 2k, or go for the full shebang for 40 k + it depends on you, how you want to start, what products and services you wish to offer, what type of staff you get in, legal fees ie contracts, accountant fees payroll PAYE... It's down to you and your vision and budget.

This just scratches the surface. My advice is to do as you said with training first and don't spend a penny on the business until you are confident that you know the services. I would hate to see you pour your money down the drain.
Good luck in what you decide to do and remember that training and knowledge is power. You can never do enough training so do nvq3 and make sure you are on all the product courses you wish to offer.

Feel free to pm me.
Good luck and let us no how you get on! X

It's been 5 and a half years since this thread started, I'd be interested to see if the OP opened the salon or whether she took everybody's advice?

I dont mean to be ungrateful to those who have given me some sound advice, or even constuctive critism. When I talk about nagativity, I'm looking at all the posts and the majority have been very negative almost to the point of taking the mick out of me, now I dont know know but just quite simply saying "you can't do it" is not constructive!. To those who feel I should work my way up I understand your feelings and said the same to my family and friends-which some include beauty technicians/therapists. Now some have agreed and some have said it's not neccesary because as long as I have good staff and a good business head and attitude I'll be fine. I know you think I've come on here and make it sound like I think its easy, but honestly I really dont, I know its gonna be hard and maybe it wont work and I'll probably be living on less-if any- than minimum wage. I know all of this, thats why I come on here cos I started panicking. But all the negative comments have made me even more determined to prove those of you who think I cant do it, wrong! Lets be honest one of the main key points is to have good staff, because customers are loyal to their therapists, not their salons! Just because I'm not trained doesn't mean I dont know the difference between badly done nails and what makes a good therapist! I have been a customer for so many years, I know what "bedside manner" works when you're having a bikini wax, I know the importance of how a customer is treated by their therapist to make them come back, I know what environment a customer wants when they're having a facial. I know thats not gonna get bums on seats so to speak but if I can get people to come in once, I know they'll come again. I've got some inovative ideas to set my salon apart from any local competion. I know the importance of making someone feel special the minute they walk through the door. I have run many bars and I know its not the same but I have many transferable skills that will be a bonus to anything I turn my head to.

To those who have given me some advice and constructive critism, I thank you because it has helped me!

I worked in an absolutely gorgeous spa and the owners (2 of them) knew nothing about beauty. But they knew what they liked as a customer and what they created was absolutley incredible.

Working for them however wasn't terribly easy because we were experienced and knew how to do our jobs, but they somehow thought they knew better. It got to the stage that they created an atmosphere in the spa that made the therapists lives miserable- you could cut with a knife and their staff turnover was high! No one could take it for too long.

But clients received top treatments and it isn't really about repeat business because people travel for miles to have a spa day. Although we did have some regulars too.

I took my hat off to them that they created such a wonderful business just because they had come from a business background. They have won awards and been runners up and have had write ups in magazines so they are incredibly successful to this day.

However, I think they would have been more successful if either they stood back and trusted that their staff knew what they were doing, or had been trained therpaists beforehand. It is hard to have respect for your boss when they are talking about treatments that they really don't know that much about.

Just be careful that your staff don't end up finding it hard to respect you. If you start off as a novice and they all have more qualifications than you, how would you handle say a complaint from a client about an aspect of their treatment?

If I was you, I would pick one area that you would like to go into, perhaps nails/ tanning/ massage??? and train and train from now till you open and do all that you can in a year to become proficient in that one area. And then leave the other areas to your staff (or self employed contractors). At a later stage you can always add things to your skill set, but I don't think it is a good idea to be off training just as your new salon is launching. You need to be on hand to work your socks off 7 days a week and couldn't possibly do any course justice at the same time. Maybe 2-3years down the line you could leave it for a couple of days a week to do additional training.

I do believe that if you believe you can do something, you usually can make people believe that you can. Not always a good thing but I think it's true. And there are some amazing therapists out there who sadly don't believe in themselves enough and so will never make it as a business person, but that's ok if they're happy with that- they'll be lining someone else's pockets.

There was a quote on facebook that I liked- something like, if you don't follow your dreams, you'll end up working for someone who did!

I do see both sides on this and would be quite put out if someone opened a salon across the road who knew nothing about the industry, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't do well.

All the best with your venture.

It's been 5 and a half years since this thread started, I'd be interested to see if the OP opened the salon or whether she took everybody's advice?

Haha! I didn't read to the end! I'd be very interested too!

I'm new to Salon Geek. I have just read through this whole thread- hooked! I'm very intrigued to know whether or not Kaala has been successful in opening up her salon?!

Well everything seems a bit negative so far, but in essence I have done the same thing as your doing. I didn't see an accountant but went with my own instincts. I managed to get a grant for £8k from business finance solutions, its pretty much guaranteed as I'm between 18 and 30 and the North West are desperate to open up another boarded up shop on the high street.

Initially I started it as a design project. I have no training whatsoever in the business but have a very keen eye for interior design so I decided I'd like to give a salon a go.

I'm opening up in 3 weeks with everything being on track, I've just rented out the last space in the salon and am really looking forward to seeing the end product. Maybe you should think about getting self-employed people in to start with?

Just remember if you don't follow your dreams, you'll end up working for someone who did.

Good Luck xxx

Well everything seems a bit negative so far, but in essence I have done the same thing as your doing. I didn't see an accountant but went with my own instincts. I managed to get a grant for £8k from business finance solutions, its pretty much guaranteed as I'm between 18 and 30 and the North West are desperate to open up another boarded up shop on the high street.

Initially I started it as a design project. I have no training whatsoever in the business but have a very keen eye for interior design so I decided I'd like to give a salon a go.

I'm opening up in 3 weeks with everything being on track, I've just rented out the last space in the salon and am really looking forward to seeing the end product. Maybe you should think about getting self-employed people in to start with?

Just remember if you don't follow your dreams, you'll end up working for someone who did.

Good Luck xxx

Would just like to agree with this. I have a salon and several kiosks running successfully with zero experience in the business! You still get the arsey people (not on SG) who think that, just because you don't have qualifications, you are in no fit state to run a business. It gets old very fast. If they want to show me how much better they can do it, then they're very welcome to try! Never had anyone take me up on my offer though. Funny that!

This was a very interesting read..... What has happened with the enthusiastic kaala? :)

Wow, this is really intresting, how have you got on.

The reason i ask is: My wife has run her own beauty salon in India. Now since being in the UK she has done stuff for freinds and family, threading waxing etc....
She would now like to set up from home doing here threading etc, but where do i start?
Are her ceritificates from india valid in the uk?

i was looking on the Gov website and think she needs to set up self employed.

Mods should i set up a new thread?

Latest posts

Back