What do you all do to protect yourselves?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kismet

Reaction score
Hi all!
I have been a nail tech and estetician for nearly 14 years now. I have never been big on wearing a mask when filling or gloves. I have also never worried much about ergonomics. But now that I am (eh hem, choack) getting a bit oldish, I am starting to have problems related to what I do and how I do it. I have the beginnings of arthritis in my thumbs and neck a calcified ligamant in my left shoulder and a host of other little aches and pains. I also have developed asthma Im guessing due to breathing dust. I do have systemic Lupus so I am much more prone to have these problems than others. Im just curious what you techs do to prevent and help ease these problems. I have a hard time with pedicures. I cant do more than two or three in a day without seriously hurting. I think I feel silly putting on a mask and gloves. Anyway just thought I would ask you all what if any physical problems you have had due to our line of work and what you have found helps. Happy Manicuring ;-)

I have been a nail tech for 17 years and yes, I have developed some issues too. I developed a chronic tendenitis in my right thumb and tennis elbow (right elbow).
I went to a doctor complaining about the pain and they told me to take advil (ibuprofen)
Then I went for accupuncture (2 treatements) and it didn't really help... so then a friend of mine just booked me with her therapist for accupunture. I went but I didn't believe that it would help so I never went back. After few weeks my hand and elbow started getting better and better. Finally the pain went away completely. This was about 4 years ago.

I think overall we are not educated about proper way of sitting and working. I used to educate and at each class I always talked how to sit properly, how to stretch between clients/at the end of the day.
Basically you want to always stretch the chest (doorway stretches etc) and strengthen your back and the back of the shoulders. Bentover barbell rows, bentover dumbbell raises. Also millitary press is good for the overall shoulder (and upperbody) strength. "Pullovers" are also awesome for stretching the chest and strenghtening the back.
We should be doing these excercises even few times a day. No need for a gym membership-a few dumbbells or kettlebells and a few feet of space will do

I also go to an awesome osteopath/massage therapist as often as I can afford it.
Not only to fix what I've messed up but to learn how not to re-injure myself.

Here are the links to my therapists in case you live in Ontario :)
Brendan Cleary- The Ontario Migraine Clinic. What is a Migraine.
Tom Sweetman- Oakville Massage at Oakvilleshiatsuandmassage.com

I use WTAC system to control the dust. I believe that similar machines now cost about $1200 USD but it's well worth the investement esp when you work with gel.
I wear gloves to protect my skin and most importantly (;)) my nail polish LOL
I take them off to apply cuticle oil and to do hand/foot massage.

Latest posts

Back