What do you love/hate about being self employed?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flickaroo

Reaction score
Those that are employed what do you love/hate about it?

I love not being answerable to anyone.

I hate that barrier between you and your staff. I still find it hard when I'm not included in conversations our outings and them I'm like, oh yeah it's because I'm the boss :-/

Great thread. The list is endless for the good things about self employed!! I love picking and choosing when or if I need time off and not having to check with anyone.

I hate that clients think it's appropriate to message, phone, text you at ridiculous times of night or morning and get a reply straight away.
I also don't like how unpredictable business is where you never know how much money you are going to make.

But the pros definetly out weight the cons!! :)

Love:
Being my own boss, choosing when to work & when to have time off, choosing what treatments I train in & do, trying new products & going to trade shows meeting other geeks :biggrin:.

Dislike: Unpredictable clients (clients who book then rearrange or cancel last minute, those who think everything that could go wrong will do etc..) & unpredictability of not knowing if you will get bookings or not.

Agree with baggybear.

Love choosing my own hours, products, treatments and being my own boss.

Hate the uncertainty of it all, your diary is never as it seems, clients changing, canceling etc.

Sent from my SM-T310 using SalonGeek mobile app

Love the amount of control I have over when I work, love that if I have any new ideas I want to try, I just do it, I don't have to ask anyone. Love that I can spend what I want, discontinue something I don't like, advertise where I want and don't have to answer to anyone.

Dislike that I have to work ridiculous hours the week before and after a holiday to fit in all the people that would have come while I was away....but love the fact that this means that actually I don't lose out financially by not being here.

Great thread idea!

Love:
Having no one to answer to, having the last word, the flexibility it will hopefully one day give me. Also that I'm better off financially than I ever have been working for someone else, and my business has only been open for a year.

Don't love:
The flexibility I don't have at the moment, trying to find good staff and it being my problem that I can't find them, the lack of holiday allowance and sick pay!

I'm desperate for a day off and I'm absolutely exhausted, but would I have it any other way? In the grand scheme of things- absolutely not!

Love that I call the shots and on have to take any rubbish off anyone

Dislike that holidays cost me a fortune ....cost of extra staff , takings plummet when I'm not there .....but I still need a holiday .off to Spain on Monday ..whoohoo

Overall I am a happy bunny and wouldn't swop self employment for employment

Love: choosing when I want to work, if I want to go out with my friends or to a gym class or just a day off I just pencil the time out my diary and I don't have that horrible awkward feeling of asking a manager for time off. Knowing that because I work from home, after stock my bills are minimal so there's no pressure to get appointments and if one of my weeks doesn't look super full then I'm happy for the free time to chill out. I love working in my own space, choosing what products I use and lovely geek friends to share ideas with. I love that I'm only with ppl for a maximum of 2-3hrs so no annoying colleagues.

Hate: clients who bring kids to their appointments, clients who are late or early and how it affects my time. I hate being a perfectionist, although my clients appreciate it it means I'm never fully happy with anything I do and I see flaws in everything.

Love flexible hours. Love that I can book all my dentist appointments etc into my day without having to do that kind of thing on my day off. I love working evenings as I'm a night owl and feel that when I'm at my best! Love that I'm not restricted product wise and can choose everything I work with down to the type of foil for hair and files for nails. I just really love it I wouldn't have it any other way. What I don't like is that you are really on your own with things like complaints (don't really get them but the odd thing happening and you have no one to back you up and re assure you). Also if I was in salon I would be getting basically free training learning off my colleagues and swapping ideas and techniques (that's where salon geek comes in, I actually wouldn't cope with out it). Don't like loading and unloading my heavy bags in the rain and dark. That's about it! No other complaints, it's a way of life I think you ether thrive on it or hate it and I thrive on it. It's great! X

People think you don't have a life! I get texts & phonecalls all hours to do hair. It really pisses me off. Can you fit me in tomorrow at 9am? Errrr no sorry. Great what am I supposed to do now? Let me bloody know in advance!! 😡😡😡

HairBy Amanda

Love: working when I want to work

Hate: not being paid when I go on holiday or have a day off!!

Latest posts

Back