What kind of Geek are YOU ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
are you here for the community spirit and chat? -Yes
are you here to ask for assistance with nail/beauty/hair problems - Yes
are you here to impart your wisdom and experience to other nail techs - Yes - hopefully the more I learn the more I am able to impart.
are you here to learn and grow in your industry- YES!!

I'm a shy geek. I lurked for a seriously long time reading every post I could get my hands on, to make sure my decision to begin learning again was the right one and in areas I was passionate about, before joining in with the forums myself.

Most of my time on here is spent reading threads, I am cautious about contributing too much in case I give the wrong advice or in case something gets heated, but I do contribute where I can.

The rest of my time is spent searching threads for even the smallest bits of information that could be relevant to me. I even occasionally get shouted at (when a search term doesnt bring up what I'm looking for or needs rewording) and told I can only do one search every 20 secs or something similar :).

I love the chit chat and the blogs - its where I get to know you all better and as individuals. These are the areas where geeks personalities shine through and I love the lot of ya! (well most of you anyway hahaha) x

Last edited:
I joined SG because I wanted to be part of a group of like minded professionals...all passionate about what they do and wanting to learn more and be the best. What I found was a community that freely shared their knowledge, wisdom and ideas.

Starting out I used the search feature, viewed the tutorials, looked through albums. I learned so much more than I thought someone who'd been doing this as long as I have could ever learn. This site is amazing.

I contribute to the Nail Forum when I feel I can contribute. But like many of the more experienced Nail Geeks, the tedious and repetitious questions have worn me down. I don't feel inclined to answer them anymore. If I see another question about a freakin' lamp, I swear.....!!!!

I contribute to the Biz Forum when I feel I have something to contribute. I've grown weary of the Consumer Forum so I stay away from there.

I enjoy the Chit Chat Forum because it's a nice way to connect outside the professional realm...let my hair down a bit. I visit Blogs frequently and have written a few myself. In Chit Chat and Blogs, I feel I get to know the more personal side of my fellow geeks. I've gotten to know some people very well and have built friendships.

Like some have already stated, relationships have been built on this site and I have become very fond of some of my fellow geeks...very fond, indeed.

I wish I lived in the UK so I could park myself on their doorstep on occasion.

I joined this site a while back when i first attempted l&p . . . HUGE mistake in the course i chose, never completed it despite several attempts. I then came back at the beginning of the year to find out about spray tanning and discovered shellac. I desperately wanted to train in nails and with the natural nail route coming to the forefront i could with hard work and determination. Since then I've not looked back.

I do blog alot but mainly because when i first started i couldn't really contribute to the boards because i was training or researching. I love the blogs though as I've been able to share my, for want of a better word (but one that i hate none the less lol), journey from research to training to practicing to starting out in business. I've also been able to share my personal goings on and have been made to laugh, cheered up and cheered on. I love the blogs also because I've got to know people and have discovered a great fondness for some particular geeks.

I use the search facility alot but if i need something clarified i also start a new thread to keep the boards ticking along. I'd be lost without this place!

I've now started to contribute more and helping fellow geeks and that's down to training, research and styling nails :) i hope to do this much more in the future as my confidence and knowledge grows.

I tend to spend most time in the nail forum and blogs, but also love biz geek. Chit chat can be a giggle and i like the way it is at the mo, based on the fact not everyone wants to write a blog but happy to post in chit chat and that's where i see their personality.

I may not be everyones cup of tea and vice versa, but thats what makes it diverse and interesting on here. Even the geeks that i don't particularly gel with, i never avoid their posts, i actually learn from them. Like Alan sugar i aint got much time for the mans personality, but i respect and love his business brain :)

Great thread izzi

Last edited:
Im a helper, sometimes i see potential in the ones that describe their problems in a way that noone gets what they mean. I feel sorry for them that all those views have been made and not one person has replied to....i like helping them out, coz sometimes it gets a bit cliquey on here.

I do regret sharing some info, as it can lead into wrong hands, but i find myself on hair, skin and biz more than nails--i honestly cant be dealing with people who dont read instructions or go on proper courses! It seems as thou on the nail forums more people tend to have more problems that could be easily solved on the other forums, but you'll get an instant reply and a cliquey answer! Bit controversial, but at least they seem to get reputation for it.

My own feelings on using SK recently is regardless how much you put back into salon geek you dont ever feel appreciated, i always feel overlooked, its proberly a reason why i dont join the blogs, i dont think anyone will be my friend! I dont think i say stuff to upset people intentionally, but i prefer to stay optimistic and motivate people and be truthful, but i can understand how it can be percieved as rude. xoxo

I'm a new geek! He he! :D It's lovely to relate to other hairdressers on here.. I'm so busy in the salon all the time I often miss out on chit chat/banter in the staff room at work!! So I'm enjoying this site!

Every salon I've worked in I've gained new experiences and fresh knowledge. It's nice to pass it on.. We all have a little something different to contribute and I've seen and received some good advice! So Geek on and prosper!! :) x

I am most definitely a Nail Geek! Nails is all I do, however I always do 'what's new'/'everything new' when I log in, mainly because I am interested (or should that be nosey!!).

I get what geeks are saying about chit chat, and I do contribute to cc threads but not the game type ones. I prefer discussion whether business or gossip/life, but I really do think the 'tell people all about my life' threads should be blogs. There, I've said it :biggrin:!

I have been a member a long time and I find myself now answering more than I ask, it's the natural life cycle of a geek I think. As a Geek Guide I can also be found in My Forum a lot, offering newbies a helping hand! I enjoy sharing my knowledge, I tend to speak my mind, but I know without a shadow of a doubt that this site has contributed in no small way to where I am now.

I am a bit nostalgic for when it was only a nail forum and we all basically knew each other, but on the other hand, I've learnt so much from the skin and hair geeks (told you I was nosey!) that I'm glad the forum is evolving..... Persianista, my hair would be a complete mess if you hadn't shown me the light that is Pureology :hug:.

Great thread Izzi!

In answer to your questions;
Yes I am here for the community spirit and chat.
Yes I am here to ask for assistance when I run into problems.
Yes I am here to impart my wisdom and experience (the little I have compared to some other geeks)
And yes I am here to learn and grow.

I would like to think I'm fairly helpful and supportive. I will pass on as much knowledge as I can to people that need it and I do give my own opinion on situations (I try not to upset anyone though as things can get mis-read).

I work alone within a hairdressers (I rent a room to do beauty from) and I have never really had anyone to talk to about the things I love and get excited about so I'm very happy to have found SG and like-minded people!

If I have something I need advice on I do try and use the search option as much as I can but sometimes post topics if I can't find what I'm looking for.

I access the site from my SG app on my iPhone so I don't blog as I can't even see it on here!

Lastly I love to learn so I read a lot of threads on all sorts of topics.

Thank you to everyone who makes this site what it is, love and respect to you all ;)
Rhiannon x

In answer to your questions;
Yes I am here for the community spirit and chat.
Yes I am here to ask for assistance when I run into problems.
Yes I am here to impart my wisdom and experience (the little I have compared to some other geeks)
And yes I am here to learn and grow.

I would like to think I'm fairly helpful and supportive. I will pass on as much knowledge as I can to people that need it and I do give my own opinion on situations (I try not to upset anyone though as things can get mis-read).

I work alone within a hairdressers (I rent a room to do beauty from) and I have never really had anyone to talk to about the things I love and get excited about so I'm very happy to have found SG and like-minded people!

If I have something I need advice on I do try and use the search option as much as I can but sometimes post topics if I can't find what I'm looking for.

I access the site from my SG app on my iPhone so I don't blog as I can't even see it on here!

Lastly I love to learn so I read a lot of threads on all sorts of topics.

Thank you to everyone who makes this site what it is, love and respect to you all ;)
Rhiannon x

I'm on my iPhone too so can't blog.. But im happy to create a thread! :) And it's really annoying when trying to type something out.. Go back to change a spelling.. Then can't go back to finish typing your post!! Grr! Can you sort this please SG!!

Hi Izzi (great post),

Well I first came across this site a while back when doing some searches for things and would lurk about for a bit. Then this year I officially joined. I cant remember which month.

I like to read alot of posts and read everyones thoughts and veiws on subjects. I also contribute to posts sometimes when I feel I could offer some assistance. This varying in different subjects. Sometimes I do worry about what I am posting incase someone singles my post out and says its wrong or whatever. But I feel that I can take constructive criticism.

Also with lots of such respected geeks on here sometimes I feel a bit inadequate when I offer my advice. but I only hope it helps someone at some point.

I am also interested in the chit-chat forums to an extent, I like getting to know other geeks but sometimes the "status update" type threads do get boring. As I usually go on SG on my iPhone aswell they clog up my "latest posts" lol!

I also try to think of thought provoking threads for other geeks to think about but it is difficult lol. So ive not came up with any good ones just yet.

:)

are you here for the community spirit and chat?
are you here to ask for assistance with nail/beauty/hair problems
are you here to impart your wisdom and experience to other nail techs
are you here to learn and grow in your industry

Yes to all of the above!

I joined Salon Geek in 2008 and although I wasn't a Newbie in the Nail World, I was a newbie in the world of forums and lurked around for ages before I had the guts to post.

I have learned so much from this site and will be forever grateful for what I have learned from it and so thankful for the wonderful friends I have made.

I can honestly say, I learn something new everyday here, but I find most of my posts are answering questions and not asking them.

Like Vetty, I spend some time on my forum helping new Geeks find their way and helping them navigate the site... I wish they had Guides when I first joined, cause I hadn't a clue how things worked, but soon got used to it.

I like the Chit Chat forum, but I find general statements a little bit pointless. I prefer a question being asked, rather than, "I feel a bit tired and I might go to bed" kind of threads. (I just don't get the point I'm sorry)

Great thread!

Great thread Izzidoll.... what kind of geek am I?

A helpful passionate one I hope :wink2:... one who is here to help the nail professional (coz I suck at hair and skin:lol:).. to become better at their career choice and to guide. I am not on here 24/7 but try to pop in daily.

I would also like to mention what irritates me... :rolleyes: the 'which is best' threads... mainly because there seem to be so many and because you don't know unless you try things yourself... you need to 'feel' products and work with them to make your own choices. Be inspired by product websites, youtube videos - what people / companies can do for you and how much they bend over to help... all these things go into your overall end of day choice on what you will fall in love with.

I never go into Chit Chat (or rarely)... and never read blogs unless I am directed to one for a reason... So there you go... my opinions.. for what they are worth:smack: and there is a Fat Fairy around somewhere who thinks my opinions are worth nada :lol::lol::lol::lol: (couldnt resist FatFairy - love u mean it):Grope:

Great thread Izzidoll.... what kind of geek am I?

A helpful passionate one I hope :wink2:... one who is here to help the nail professional (coz I suck at hair and skin:lol:).. to become better at their career choice and to guide. I am not on here 24/7 but try to pop in daily.

I would also like to mention what irritates me... :rolleyes: the 'which is best' threads... mainly because there seem to be so many and because you don't know unless you try things yourself... you need to 'feel' products and work with them to make your own choices. Be inspired by product websites, youtube videos - what people / companies can do for you and how much they bend over to help... all these things go into your overall end of day choice on what you will fall in love with.

I never go into Chit Chat (or rarely)... and never read blogs unless I am directed to one for a reason... So there you go... my opinions.. for what they are worth:smack: and there is a Fat Fairy around somewhere who thinks my opinions are worth nada :lol::lol::lol::lol: (couldnt resist FatFairy - love u mean it):Grope:

I have to agree that is why I hate the 'Which is Best' threads. How can anyone possibly answer if they have not used each one for a period of time. Doen't stop people answering though. I find these threads can be very devisive in an otherwise friendly forum.

I have been a member for ages and have learned so much from this site. I was and established therapist when I joined but felt totally out of my depth to begin with and bowed to the superior knowledge on here. Eventually I found my feet and felt I had something to contribute.

The site has taught me to be more flexible and to accept differences in people more. I am far more diplomatic on here that in my home life.

Being a new mod now I feel privileged that I have been chosen and want to help keep this site the best in the professional beauty world. :wink2:

Loved reading all this Izzydoll!! Great thread !

I'm here for everything!!! lol

I'm a teacher so I tend to teach ... advise .. share experience etc but I have also learned loads.

I, like some of the other recent posters in this thread, also get very tired of the 'product comparison' threads. Yes I talk about what I use but I also say WHY in every post .. why I like it and what the features and benefits of using it are.

Now the cynical seem not to be able to separate gigi rouse nail technician from Gigi rouse member of Sweet Squared, and some are cynical as to my motives (which I can understand) but I'll have you know :biggrin: I answer as many posts to help users of other brands as I do posts about the brand I choose to use. I am a nail technician and teacher first. Don't beleive me?? Take a look!! :biggrin:
I like helping anyone and I am not exclusive.

I have my favourite geeky friends but always make new ones and I certainly hope that because I have close friends here on the site, that I have never been cliquey and actually am not aware of others being so. One is allowed to have special friends and those friends, as all real friends do, sometimes offer support when needed. Nothing wrong with that. It would 'be a poor do' as they say if after 9 years involvement with Salon Geek, one didn't have geeks that mean allot to them :eek: ... well wouldn't it?? :biggrin:

Love the site! It will always be a huge interest to me and I will be around to help where I feel I can ... lots! :)

All of the above Izzy! :lol:

I've been a member since 2007, before I qualified as a Nail Tech in 2008. I was on here all the time learning, lurking and asking questions. I did use the search facility, but sometimes there wasn't a specific answer to my questions that I could find.

Now however, I tend to be a helpful Geek :biggrin: as I know more, but I am still always learning and I do still ask questions from time to time.

Still love the site but don't get much time to come on.

Great thread. xx

I'm very much a lurker.

I answer posts - it seems mainly about websites at the moment :). That's because that's what my day job involves, so I feel qualified to help in that area.

I'm also an out of practice masseuse and now studying for my NVQ2 in hairdressing. So watch the hair forum a lot!

I enjoy reading threads on all of the forums and love to see the pictures in the nail section in particular. You guys rock!! So creative.

I think I've probably asked one question in the "hair" forum that was advice about which college to pick in my area. The rest of the time, I watch, and often roll my eyes, with the lack of use of the search facility.... I must say I do get slightly bored of seeing the same things over, and over, and over again. I've only been a member since June I think, so goodness knows how you veterans feel.

I am here to learn, and when I feel the need to ask a question, I'm sure I will.

Overall, I like the mix of serious and chatty elements. :D

Last edited:
I've been a bit of a grumpy geek recently.... now i'm passed the fresh newbie stage, i've realised how difficult it is for the more experienced geeks (not that i'm one of them yet :biggrin:)

When someone asks a question and you read through the tonnes of incorrect answers given by other inexperienced geeks, who are clearly just trying to help, but still giving incorrect advice, it can be hard work getting the correct information across. Its made me a bit worn out and grumpy!

I'm trying to get more involved again though, i've sat down and reminded myself that this site gave so much to me when i was brand new, that now i have a little more experience under my belt, its time I tried to give a little as well as taking a lot :lol: xxx

I think you give lots back to the site Lauren. You have been an active member one way or another since you joined and it was a pleasure to help you when you started and I now learn things from you.

That is the beauty, we can all learn from each other, old and new, there are so many ways of doing things and we all learn from different mediums and then converge in here and share our knowledge.:wink2:

I've been a bit of a grumpy geek recently.... now i'm passed the fresh newbie stage, i've realised how difficult it is for the more experienced geeks (not that i'm one of them yet :biggrin:)

When someone asks a question and you read through the tonnes of incorrect answers given by other inexperienced geeks, who are clearly just trying to help, but still giving incorrect advice, it can be hard work getting the correct information across. Its made me a bit worn out and grumpy!

I'm trying to get more involved again though, i've sat down and reminded myself that this site gave so much to me when i was brand new, that now i have a little more experience under my belt, its time I tried to give a little as well as taking a lot :lol: xxx

Don't worry about it ... This is my job and I don't hesitate to correct incorrect or unfactual information lol. There are many well informed geeks who are now more than capable of doing the same thing ... It certainly does not all fall on your shoulders. :hug:

I'm primarily a Computer Geek who is really interested in the beauty industry; I am always happy to answer techie questions on threads; also any questions relating to chemistry too (as that was what my degree was in).

I love the social side of Salon Geek too and all the chit chat, so will often join in on a lot of the chit chat threads too - or give my opinion from a client's point of view, having had all sorts of treatments done myself.

Latest posts

Back