What level of 'fitting out' can I reasonably expect a landlord to do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkleberry

Reaction score
Hi all!Ok so I think Ive found the premises! Now its up with 2 different agents, both are as useless as each other (is it just me or are commercial agents totally pants at their jobs?!) and both give conflicting advice. The premises at the moment are basicaly just shells, no windows, no doors(theyre boarded up) exposed brickwork and beams etc. No toilets no nothing inside! Now one agents saying as the ingoing tennant, Im respons' for all this work in return for little or no rent for the first year and the other is saying the landlord is respons' for the work in return for full rent. Im totally bamboozled as to what is the truth and what would be the better option. Im new to all this and was just wondering, realistically, to what level should a landlord fit out their premises?
Many Thanks!xxx

Generally, you get nothing. As an ingoing tenant, you sign a full repairing and insuring lease. This means that you take full responsibility for all repairs to the building, and you pay for all insurances required by the landlord. You are liable for this for the full lease period, whether you occupy the building or not.
There is no legal minimum level of fit out for commercial property, what you see is what you get.

I agree, for a lock up shop expect nothing. With mine all I had was a cold water pipe! I had to re-wire, new ceiling, walls, plumbing and toilet I put in at my own expense. If I ever leave, they are all coming with me! :green:

not sure of the legal side but wouldn't you like to fit yourself anyway? at least you won't just gte bog standard stuff ie.. sinks, sides, lighting
and with less or no rent to pay you should be able to afford it?? and also take it with you should you leave?? x

"Im respons' for all this work in return for little or no rent for the first year and the other is saying the landlord is respons' for the work in return for full rent."

I don't think either of them are right legally...im sure both options could be worked out contractually however, but I'd have a solicitor look at it.

But technically, as other people have said, they don't have to do anything. We took over an old post office and had to rip it to shreds and completely refit it ourselves- at our cost.

Just playing devils advocate....are you sure you've found the right place?

Hi everyone, thanks so much for you replies! With the conflicting advice I was getting from the agents (over EVERYTHING) I just felt like I was going round in circles and figured Id try and find the general concensus!Must admit though, I naively thought that the wiring and windows would have fallen with the landlord!Ive heard of some tenants carrying out the work themselves and then the landlords contibuting x amount towards the basics. I would much ratherbe bale to do it myself as, like some of you have poined out, I can have it how I like then! Extensionize, yep Im pretty damn sure its for me :) (Ive been looking for over a year now and found it a few months back now, and kept going back to it!!!!) nothing else I see compares to it really!
Thanks again for your replies!xxx

Latest posts

Back