What to do about critical colleague!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LillyGoose

Reaction score
It's not about hair, but i have come across a problem! There is this girl at work who constantly criticizes my haircuts and colours i do, and talks about everyone behind their back. Now i know you get at least one of these girls in most of the salons. She is older than me, but below me i am a stylist She is a graduate stylist.
Now i have tried to be the better person and ignore her and not lower myself. But lately its really started to get to me to the point where im starting to criticise my own work. I would put her aside and try to talk to her but being the kind of person she is i dont think it would go very well.

Am i being paranoid? :( x

Just say oi motor mouth Minnie, come here a minute I've heard you think you can cut and colour better than me?! Well show me! Your obviously a graduate stylist so you think you know better! ;)

That's awful, you're right though.. You always get one!
Why not praise yourself and slide her a sarcastic comment at the same time.. Something along the lines of "I was really pleased with that cut/colour and my client seemed extremely pleased, not only has she rebooked with me, she gave me a great tip too.. But apparently *graduate stylist x* you would have done it better? So tell me what you would have done?"
Even if she doesn't say anything, it should put her on the spot and make her feel slightly awkward!!
Xx

If I were you I'd say (next time she is slagging off someone's work to you) "You know, I would really love to stop and listen to your views, but I'm engrossed in this step by step technique article in the Hairdressers Journal right now. Perhaps if you were doing the same you'd be a stylist like me on a stylist's pay instead of a graduate stylist moaning about other's work?" and then you leave the staff room with the magazine left open at the article you mentioned.

;)

Ask her if she wants to shadow you. Ask the client what they want and ask this girl what she would do to achieve the look, then put her right and have her watch your technique.

Or just take her in the back alone and ask if she has any problems, when she says no tell her that you have taken note of her past comments and you don't appreciate what she is saying and she should keep these comments to herself as you know what your clients want and although one persons technique may be different from the person next to them, it does not make either way wrong and she would be advised to watch the different ways of doing things to mix and pair up bits from each technique that works best for her. Xoxo

It's not about hair, but i have come across a problem! There is this girl at work who constantly criticizes my haircuts and colours i do, and talks about everyone behind their back. Now i know you get at least one of these girls in most of the salons. She is older than me, but below me i am a stylist She is a graduate stylist.
Now i have tried to be the better person and ignore her and not lower myself. But lately its really started to get to me to the point where im starting to criticise my own work. I would put her aside and try to talk to her but being the kind of person she is i dont think it would go very well.

It sounds like a really difficult situation to deal with. Could you mention it to your salon owner / manager and let them tackle it? It's amazing how one person can create a really bad atmosphere.

I'd ignore her comments and put them down to jealousy / insecurity and only tackle her if she says something directly to you. Other people in the salon have probably already seen what she is like and take what she says with a pinch of salt.

Hang in there and don't let it get to you. If your clients are happy then that's all that matters.

I did the mature thing and spoke to her, and wow did that go wrong!!
She didnt take it very well started accusing everyone of everything, but being a professional ;) i walked away and left her to it.

Easy dry you are so right!!! as long as clients are happy. I shall not worry about little girls like her!!

Love you guys! thanks! x

I did the mature thing and spoke to her, and wow did that go wrong!!
She didnt take it very well started accusing everyone of everything, but being a professional ;) i walked away and left her to it.

Easy dry you are so right!!! as long as clients are happy. I shall not worry about little girls like her!!

Love you guys! thanks! x

Ohh tomorrow will be fun! Lol

I'd ask how come all your clients aren't booking in with her if she so bloody good! Cheeky girl! Ignore her hun and keep your chin up xx

hahaah bluerinse!!

It will definitely be interesting :)

i would have a style off. . . an actual proper comp with her. . . both get a model who want the same thing done. . . see who has the best result. . . jus make sure u win hahahah x

I'd tend to want to be unprofessional now and actually a little nasty, (sorry to the exceptional older stylists here) and say, your life experience may show in your wrinkles, but im younger and actually better and am going to b doing this long after ur under ground.
See how she likes something so personal

Latest posts

Back