What would you do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also agree. In fact I think she currently is taking the mick.

You need to take back control & show her the door ASAP. Do you actually think she's good for your business? If not then get rid, in any situation. It's not a charity Xx

A staff member 'told' me today that she is going on holiday in January. I said there is no holidays in January remember.. She says she cannot remember me saying this (I did) Anyway.... I said she could still go but two days after the date she asked to be off as I was still away (which has been booked 6months).. Anyway apparently this is not good enough..

Two minutes later I received a text from said employee

"I can't have that time off in Jan cue she's on f'ing holiday it's f'ing typical int it, can't believe it I'm packing this job in now and gina get a new one I'm sick of her dictating to me"

Clearly she didn't mean to send to me, and also didn't realise she had.. I'm guessing she probably has realised this evening but I have had no apology txt from her.

We are working together tomorrow how should I dealt with this matter?disciplinary? Sit down and talk? How would you go about it? It feels very awkward

Thanks
I would say was that txt i received off you your way of handing in your notice!

After a long time away, I do nails part time. I have 20 years in managing a restaurant. This will not turn out well. She's a bad apple and will bring everyone down to her level. If this area of salon management is not your strong point then you should delegate it to your manager. Empower your manager, have her deal with this and you give your support. Not all owners have management skills. Your time would be well spent being the visionary for your salon. The idea person, networking . You are the driving force for your salon's success and your passion should be inspiring. Let your manager deal with so and so is late today, etc. You are allowing said employee to dictate to you what she will do or not do. This will make you look weak to all other employees. If possible check into some management classes (even online). Just image what it would be like to walk into your salon to see employees that are happy to be working and have passion for their work. What a load off your shoulders would that be! Make it so, captain! :)

So she wasnt given a warning and then after you spoke to her she kicked off AGAIN! She cant decide if she wants to leave or not, you shouldnt be giving her that decision you should be showing her the door. I would not expect any kind of employer to put up with this behaviour, it doesnt matter what personal problems she has, we all have them!

Personally I would tell her you've accepted her resignation via text and will follow up with her last pay and P45 in a week or so and ask her to leave immediately, I'm very hard when it come to things like this though and would take it very personally especially as your have a policy in place and you had offered a solution to accomodate both yours and her holiday time.

Good advice. Take the text and construe it as her notice, then you aren't obligated to meeting any requirements for terminating her employment with grounds. I'm sure our labour laws here in Canada are different, but I'd take that as her notice and be done with her, as you have clearly outlined she's a troublemaker.

Good luck with it! You seem fair and have clear procedures in place for booking holidays etc. You deserve employees who will abide them and be happy enough to work for you. If that text was intended for another employee, not only is she causing you grief, but she is poisoning the well and making efforts to rile up your other employees. You definitely don't want that!

Good luck with it!

EDIT: just realizing my timing on this post is off! Sorry! But Bo is also giving you great advice! Let this bad apple go and create the team you want and deserve and need! Good luck!

Well its been a while now since this happened. Have you got rid of her yet?
She is very rude, arrogant and obviously not part of the team.
If she is still there, then she is obviously only there biding her time whilst waiting for something else to come along. She is using you.
I hope by now that she has either gone or you asked her to go.
Keep the text message and make a note of conversations, dates, times etc just in case you need to refer back to it.
Could you update us please?

Latest posts

Back