What would you do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marie.st

Reaction score
Hi geeks?

I had a lady sent into the salon to speak to me the other day about having her hair coloured. She seemed very timid. I spoke to her at length about what we could do, (I didn't really have time for this as it's December and busy, but as she was recommended to me personally I didn't want to disappoint)
She is a natural base 7, very little grey, has full head bleach to lift to pure white. She told me that she doesn't like toners. They have always gone grey. She seemed very keen for me to use a specific bleach, a loreal one. I use Goldwell. She even asked if I would get it in just to use on her..... Erm, no.
She left happy and wanting to book in for the new year. The next day she called and asked the same questions again. Also she asked how often I would be willing to do her roots? As long as there is a re growth I will do it. She has them done every 3-4 weeks.
The day after she then text me And started questioning me again and saying she really wants me to do it, she felt comfortable with me, but she is worried about the products I use.
I have 11 years experience and am very busy. I'm wondering if this client is going to be too much hassle.

So, after waffling a lot, my question is in the title..... What would you do?

xxxxx

Sounds like hassle! She either trusts your experience & lets you use the products you're trained with or she doesn't use you. Maybe says something to her like "I'm trained on goldwell and have many many years experience with them. As I'm not trained in loreal I can't buy their products and wouldn't know how to use them as every product is different and for something as important as my clients hair I much prefer to stick with what I'm trained in!"

I'm mobile and have a client who is like that & is extremely unrealistic.
Very irritating as I end up being there longer than I want to be as I am quite busy!
Explain to her like other person said she either has you or not.
Xx

I just realised who you are Marie! I used to be at the salon opposite the library in thetford! Hello!!! :)

I am not a hairdresser but I would tell this lady in a nice way that you use Goldwell and thats what you are comfortable with, perhaps if she is that keen to use another product she could go to a salon that has invested time/training in that product.

Follow your gut on this one. If you feel comfortable getting loreal bleach in to lighten her, do it. But she may be talking about "blondies" and that's expensive. And to be honest, I don't think it lifts as well as a normal bleach. If you do get product in for her, I would put a surcharge on her service, as potentially you have $80 - $200 of product sitting in your salon, that you have to use just for her, and not any body else.

Otherwise, stand your ground. Say you only use goldwell products. That you know that you will be able to get the result she wants with your products and have confidence in them. Plus, I think you will get a nicer result with goldwell toners as opposed to loreal toners. If she doesn't like a toner, a 10 cream express toner will give her beautiful condition and shine, that she will not have experienced without a toner.

If you don't want her, just say no, I will only use goldwell products, no explanation no convincing, and she'll go elsewhere.

I am mobile and if I had a client that wanted me to use another product I am not familiar with I would say no. I would explain why I use the products I do, and i can get the same results, if not better, with my products as I am experienced with them x

Hi geeks?

I had a lady sent into the salon to speak to me the other day about having her hair coloured. She seemed very timid. I spoke to her at length about what we could do, (I didn't really have time for this as it's December and busy, but as she was recommended to me personally I didn't want to disappoint)
She is a natural base 7, very little grey, has full head bleach to lift to pure white. She told me that she doesn't like toners. They have always gone grey. She seemed very keen for me to use a specific bleach, a loreal one. I use Goldwell. She even asked if I would get it in just to use on her..... Erm, no.
She left happy and wanting to book in for the new year. The next day she called and asked the same questions again. Also she asked how often I would be willing to do her roots? As long as there is a re growth I will do it. She has them done every 3-4 weeks.
The day after she then text me And started questioning me again and saying she really wants me to do it, she felt comfortable with me, but she is worried about the products I use.
I have 11 years experience and am very busy. I'm wondering if this client is going to be too much hassle.

So, after waffling a lot, my question is in the title..... What would you do?

xxxxx

Is her name vivian?!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

She is trouble. Stay away. She is going to take up loads of your time and be a serial complainer. Don't do it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I agree with the above, she is bad news! I had a woman contact me through Facebook asking for a cut and colour and provided a picture of a girl with flashes of pink and purple. She wanted blonde instead of pink and purple so I replied to her saying 'Yeah I'll be able to do something similar to this' and she then replied 'what do you mean something similar, i'm nervous now!'. At that point I decided it'd be best not to do her hair because she obviously didn't believe in my ability, also she had cancelled on me twice before. So I just told her I was fully booked for the times she wanted an appointment. Really don't need clients like that!

Ask her would she jump into someone else's car and just automatically know how it runs. No. So why should u have to use some random product you haven't use before (or if u have then say you havent) you don't know the outcome or anything. If your not afraid to loose her then don't be afraid to be straight with her.
Sounds like she is trying to be the hairdresser and clients like that like to be told what to do even tho they love having the power if that makes sense.

Just tell her you use goldwell because you believe in the products and can do the job with them. If she wants L'Oréal then you are very sorry you are unable to do her colour as you can't justify getting a product in for one client, all your other clients are more than happy with goldwell. Good luck x

she sounds like she may be a bit unstable? your busy because your good at what you do. you dont need someone like her putting your reputation on the line.
I wouldn't touch her hair

Sorry if I sound blunt but clients like this are usually are pain in the a$$...
I personally would say I'm fully booked because as soon as a client starts questioning you and requesting specific products because they don't trust yours you know that they're going to be a hassle and will possibly make up a complaint after getting serviced.
I don't deal with people like this no more I don't care whether I'm gonna earn $20 or $300 it's just not worth it. It's a lesson I've learnt.
Xxx

Agree with all the above. I've had a similar request before and dodged it by saying I've done a bit of research on her behalf, found a salon that uses Loreal and guess what, they have an appointment slot when she needs it!

Phil xxx

I'd go with your instinct, if you don't feel comfortable don't do it. On the other hand I've had similar situations and gone ahead, and they've been absolutely fine after that first time and remain lovely loyal clients! I think with some clients it's the nerves of a new hairdresser but she obviously has a good feeling about you which is why she's wanting you to do it x

I'd go with your instinct, if you don't feel comfortable don't do it. On the other hand I've had similar situations and gone ahead, and they've been absolutely fine after that first time and remain lovely loyal clients! I think with some clients it's the nerves of a new hairdresser but she obviously has a good feeling about you which is why she's wanting you to do it x

I agree with this too. I would word it something along the lines of "such and such recommended you to me, and I use goldwell on her, and she is happy. I'd really love to do your hair, but I will only use goldwell products. I am confident I can achieve the results you want with goldwell"

Stand firm. "This is the colorline that I use. If you are happy with that, great. If you feel more comfortable finding a salon that uses that bleach, I am comfortable with that." If she wants to make an appt great, if not, dont return any more of her calls. You are too busy to deal with the same question.

Thank you to everyone for your input! Instincts win..... No available appointments. I don't see as it will be worth the time and effort..... As bad as that sounds. Thanks guys xxxx

Latest posts

Back