What would you say to clients who comment on your prices..?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbbugs

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I don't post much, but love to read and have sure found this site so usefull. But I would love some feedback on the matter.
I have recently lost my job and decided to go mobile. While most of my clients do not question my prices I have a lady that keeps questioning me about why my prices arent lower then what my previous employer charged. I know I should ignore these questions because I feel that I am charging reasonable prices. When I said I included travel costs she said well I had to drive regardless if I was still employed at my previous employer. I also explained that I have almost 10 years experience and can't sell myself short. These women tend to go to places when traveling that charge very cheap prices. They don't seem to get the fact that the product that I use (Brisa and other CND products) are better quality and that I do give the best quality service but they don't seem to see it that way. So my question is how would you respond to this in the best way to get through to these people.
Im not too worried about it because they don't have alot of choice where to go and I figure if they don't want to pay they will go somewhere else which is fine with me, but I feel like im kinda being bullied into lowering my prices with all these questions about my prices. Then this lady likes to add her own comments. I guess she doesnt realize I have to make a living.

Thanks for you time
Jen

Hello everyone,
I don't post much, but love to read and have sure found this site so usefull. But I would love some feedback on the matter.
I have recently lost my job and decided to go mobile. While most of my clients do not question my prices I have a lady that keeps questioning me about why my prices arent lower then what my previous employer charged. I know I should ignore these questions because I feel that I am charging reasonable prices. When I said I included travel costs she said well I had to drive regardless if I was still employed at my previous employer. I also explained that I have almost 10 years experience and can't sell myself short. These women tend to go to places when traveling that charge very cheap prices. They don't seem to get the fact that the product that I use (Brisa and other CND products) are better quality and that I do give the best quality service but they don't seem to see it that way. So my question is how would you respond to this in the best way to get through to these people.
Im not too worried about it because they don't have alot of choice where to go and I figure if they don't want to pay they will go somewhere else which is fine with me, but I feel like im kinda being bullied into lowering my prices with all these questions about my prices. Then this lady likes to add her own comments. I guess she doesnt realize I have to make a living.

Thanks for you time
Jen

Hi

I would explain to her that you are using top quality products to ensure their nails are kept in tip top condition, and that you also have to factor in overhead costs such as travel between clients, time spent travelling between clients and setting up your workstation and taking it down after every client!

You are offering a luxury at home service which leaves the client more time in their busy lives for other things. If they had to go to a salon, it might be cheaper (though I suspect most won't be!) but they still have to waste their own time and money getting there!

Either way, don't be bullied into lowering your prices, instead focus on offering something that your competitors don't ie perhaps a complimentary hand massage. Make them feel important to you and leave them feeling pampered!

Hope this helps!:hug:

Hello everyone,

Thanks for you time
Jen

She sounds very rude if you ask me,
if your really not bothered about her custom i would be very tempted to say....
How i structure my prices and the reasoning behind it is my business and private.
I would then leave it at that. (i don't like bullies)
:hug:

I would say "I use nothing but the best products and I don't use short cuts, that's why I am so popular." but like it has been said what a cheek! She either books you and pays what you charge or goes elsewhere!:hug:

Here Here Weezie!!!! What a flamin cheek - book and pay or get lost!! LOL : )

Lisa

I agree with you guys ..it is such a cheek but there is always one annoying one isn't there?
I think you have the right attitude hun. It is your business at the end of the day and you should run it how you think is best. If she mentions it being cheaper somewhere else I would probably be inclined to tell her to go there. Cheaper products for a cheaper service
I sure know which one I would choose.
Don't let her drag you down chick xxx

You shoulnt have to justify why you charge what you do! It really grates me that clients do this i think what you charge reflects what your will get!! Hence why they pay £15 for a set of nails in some places and then come to you with completely wrecked nails!!:mad:

Thanks for all the replies:)

I know my prices are reasonable and they would be lucky to get someone much cheaper then I am. Its just frustrating because the one lady seems to want to help promote my business for me and I do give discounts for referrals and other things but she has commented twice to me on my prices. It just bothers me cause I know she is promoting me but IS she asking others if they think my prices are too high also. She claimed that people have asked her but I know its her and a couple of her friends obviously discussing what they think. This small group are snowbirds so live in Canada 6 months then Texas the other and she basically told me that they would go to a lower quality nail salon if one opened close to her home (this was the first time she commented on my prices)because like i said thats where they go in Texas...Felt insulted by that one.

Thanks again for the replies, it made me feel better knowing im not crazy and im worth every penny I charge. I have a hard enough time not beating myself up over things like this. But this one has bothered me before and then she brings it up again.
Jen

Tell her you don't believe in selling yourself short because

1 You have 10 years experience in the industry
2 You use top quality products which don't come cheap
3 You have to make a living and you're not doing it just for the good of your health.

Bloody cheek of the woman. :mad:

Sounds like she's just trying it on! I'd simply say "My clientele is growing so big that, soon, I'll have to put my prices up!" :)

If she does say she'd rather got to a cheap nail salon using cheap products just tell her you have no intention of operating at that end of the market! I've had a couple of people question prices in the past, but I simply tell them the price is based upon a number of factors including quality of product, my level of experience & other overheads, and for me to go cheaper would involve lowering the level of my service, which I have no interest in doing. Pay peanuts, get monkeys as they say!

Personally, I think people such as this lady would complain regardless. If you were the cheapest by a mile she'd still ask. Just keep taking her money and providing the best service you can, after all if she had that much of a problem she'd go somewhere else.

B xxx

I explain that I use a premium product, I am extremely experienced.

Their first experience with your services and workmanship should speak for itself.

And "If You Pay Peanuts, You Get Monkeys"

hey I have the same problem and it is actualy realy imbarising!! I dont get the people commenting on my actual prices but...they pick stuff up and are like "HOW MUCH DOES THIS COST" and its not retal products its like liquid, powder tubes of hair tint etc. some have asked me how much my whole nail kit cost. i just tell them a few hundred which is the truth . But how do u answer them when they ask how much a tub of bleach is?? Seriously i find it so rude but dont want to lose customers....:mad::mad::mad:

I would remind her that you get what you pay for! You can't get diamonds when you only want to pay for paste!

I also hate it when they do this. I have one that come regulary for manicures and not once i remember that she didn't complain about the price. If she thinks it's that high, why does she continue to come back???
I always say you get what you pay for... And quality doesn't come cheap...

Actually I think that she does have a right to query the prices, as do any of us when making a decision about which service provider/product to use. When we're in the supermarket we look at a branded product against the equivalent own brand product and ask ourselves what is it about this product that justifies the extra cost.

I had a client who rang and demanded to know what made me think I could charge £35 for a pedicure. I replied "would you like to come along and have one, and if you still think that I'm overcharging you can have it on me?" She duly arrived, and challenged me at every turn about what I was using, why I was using it, and what the benefit to her feet would be. I gave her all the information in a calm and professional manner and I could feel her demeanour gradually become less hostile. At the end of the treatment she booked up again, gave me the £35, asked for lots of leaflets and promised to tell all her friends.

There are several reasons that you could use to explain to this lady. You, not your employer now has to pay for your insurance and training. You use your car far more now and you have to factor in wear and tear, as well as the higher business use insurance cost. You have to have a book keeper. You have to purchase all your own stock and uniform, not the employer.

Just my opnion, of course.
:)

Hello everyone,

I would explain that my training alone amounted to thousands of pounds...my products and workmanship are the best around and being self employed you have to pay your own tax and NI contributions as well as public liability insurance, petrol, wear and tear on my vehicle......allowing for time to get to and from appointments....

Thanks for you time
Jen

Too many people expect you to be at their beck and call and also want something for nothing these days...tell her it's a business you are running NOT a charity....and if she doesn't like it....LOSE HER:)
jmho x

These clients get me so wound up, I have had 1 or 2 question my prices in the past and as the other geeks have said, I tell them I don't use drills or ruin nails I take time and effort in making beautiful nails and I use top quality products. If you don't like my prices I suggest you go to a salon that charges the prices your willing to pay and risk damaging your nails, most back down and see the logic. I would just tell her to go somewhere else. xx

I have 1 clients who has been coming to me for 4 years and after every appointments asks "how much is that"...:lol: its always the same....so i tell her the price and she says...ohh have you put your prices up...:lol:

Latest posts

Back