What would you say to clients who comment on your prices..?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This reminds me of a sign I read while in the waiting room at the tattoo studio. There was a bit about how the artist (and he is such an artist) has been questioned about his high prices (again, bloody cheek!).

Anyway, the bit I will never forget was at the end. It read:

There are cheap tattoos.
There are good tattoos.
BUT - there are NO good cheap tattoos.

I like to translate to our world as:

There are cheap nail salons
There are good nail salons
BUT - there are NO good cheap nail salons

One of my clients, who is a multi-millionnaire businesswoman, said exactly the same thing to me about pricing - you either offer a top-end service at a high price or a low-end service at a cheap price, you cannot offer a top-end product at a cheap price!

These clients get me so wound up, I have had 1 or 2 question my prices in the past and as the other geeks have said, I tell them I don't use drills or ruin nails I take time and effort in making beautiful nails and I use top quality products. If you don't like my prices I suggest you go to a salon that charges the prices your willing to pay and risk damaging your nails, most back down and see the logic. I would just tell her to go somewhere else. xx

Would it not be better to educate such clients as to why your charges are what they are, rather than possibly alienating them? It may be a genuine question on their part; they just want to know what they're getting for their money. Why turn it into a confrontation, merely use the time to explain in her language what benefits you can offer her over the cheaper technicians.

Hi I would not get so wound up about it. Some people may just be checking what they are getting for their money - others may not be able to afford it and some are after a cheap deal. The other thing is that some business charge a lot less for the same treatment for example brazilian waxing. There are all sorts of guises a "brazilian" comes under and also what wax they use. They cannot be at fault for checking! Better to educate as has been mentioned. If they don't want to pay the price then they have to go elsewhere! Quite simple.:hug:

Thanks everyone again for all the wonderful reply's.
I would never confront anyone in a mean way about asking this question but was just a little frustrated and I guess and needed to vent. Just think when a person who asks over and over again they are looking for you to break down and say well then I'll do it cheaper to keep them. And if these were ladies that were down on their money then I would maybe understand but that isnt the case.

Well Im not worried about it anymore because I have been getting lots of calls and if they choose to go to someone else because they think its cheaper then so be it. Hate to lose these ladies as they are wonderful and maybe they will stay with me but not going to let it get to me anymore because others have told me that my prices are very reasonable.
You win some and you lose some:)
Jen

Thanks everyone again for all the wonderful reply's.
I would never confront anyone in a mean way about asking this question but was just a little frustrated and I guess and needed to vent. Just think when a person who asks over and over again they are looking for you to break down and say well then I'll do it cheaper to keep them. And if these were ladies that were down on their money then I would maybe understand but that isnt the case.

Well Im not worried about it anymore because I have been getting lots of calls and if they choose to go to someone else because they think its cheaper then so be it. Hate to lose these ladies as they are wonderful and maybe they will stay with me but not going to let it get to me anymore because others have told me that my prices are very reasonable.
You win some and you lose some:)
Jen

I see - if you have to explain over and over again I personally would say you are booked when they call! I would not like it if they were trying to get me to crack - depends if you want the hassle I suppose. It can be quite empowering sometimes to let them know in a gentle way that you will not tolerate them trying! :hug:

Latest posts

Back