What would you say were the advantages & disadvantages of your brand of wax?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PinkPotions

Reaction score
Theres loads of threads about what is the best wax where everyone says 'my wax is best'

But this isn't really helpful as it doesn't mention all the pro's and con's So lets not hide the truth lets have an honest information thread, and hopefully we can link back to this in future and we will have a lot of good quality information for the newbies who would really appreciate it!

What are the pro's & cons of your current brand of wax!

I'm currently using Perron Rigot & Berins so i'll share my pro's and cons on these:

PR Euroblonde - Great wax to use, easy to apply, leaves hardly any 'bits' at the end.
PR Cristal Ocean - At the correct temp this wax spreads nicely but i felt it stuck to the skin at times & could start to harden (I just didn't agree with it)
PR Monoi - Gorgeous colour, spreads beautifully and i didn't feel it harden as fast, could still stick to the skin at times

Berins Blue - Nice to use, easy to apply, sets slightly slower than Euroblonde, comes in a handy tin for the lazier folks (me), Major fault with it is it's dark blue and hair freaks like me can barely see the hairs on it. (I have a few clients that like to see the strip after removal and they cant see the hairs the same on this one!) Can leave stubborn bits also so not as forgiving in the edges as euroblonde!

Berins Jetset - The easiest of all hard waxes to apply, lovely texture, great white colour for seeing the hairs after removal (Happy clients!) sets up super fast although can be brittle if not using on a really hot area!

Berins ease - Lovely creamy strip wax, Once you learn the correct temp it goes on nice although not as nice as the PR monoi, once on it doesn't set up, doesn't stick to the skin the same and comes off lovely - This is my fave strip wax

I know waxing threads can get nasty so i'm asking you all to stick to the facts. You may disagree with the faults someone else has mentioned but please just put your points from your own experience! If we all felt the same we'd all use the same and it would be pretty boring!

I don't really see the point of this thread PP although I know you and I know it was started with genuine intentions.

However, this WILL end up in yet another boring Perron Rigot v Berins thread. We are all biased towards to wax we use and if we're real pro's, we use the wax that we use because we believe it to be the best.

What some people may find difficult to use, another with consider the best wax they've ever used.

I'm sick and tired of the whole wax war so I'm not going to give my opinions. I'm just going to get on with what I do best and that's wax.

Nothing personal to you Lyndsey. xxx

There's more to wax than Berins & Perron Rigot just because thats what i've said doesn't make it all there is, it's just all i can comment on!

What about the geeks that can offer pro's & con's on every other wax on the market? Clean & Easy, Babyliss, Salon Systems I want hear about them all!

My intentions are not to cause a war in fact the opposite i want good quality honest feedback from each and every brand user. I'm sure everyone will understand this and stick to the point!

Berins Blue - Nice to use, easy to apply, sets slightly slower than Euroblonde, comes in a handy tin for the lazier folks (me), Major fault with it is it's dark blue and hair freaks like me can barely see the hairs on it. (I have a few clients that like to see the strip after removal and they cant see the hairs the same on this one!) Can leave stubborn bits also so not as forgiving in the edges as euroblonde!

It sounds to me as if you are applying the blue a little to thick hence the slower set up.

If applied correctly then you will be able to see the hairs on the strip with no problem at all.

To remove any stubborn bits just apply some jasmine oil and the will come off no problem.

As with using any new product there are always teething problems but once ironed out then you will be fine.

If you have any other problems then please feel free to pm me.

It sounds to me as if you are applying the blue a little to thick hence the slower set up.

If applied correctly then you will be able to see the hairs on the strip with no problem at all.

To remove any stubborn bits just apply some jasmine oil and the will come off no problem.

As with using any new product there are always teething problems but once ironed out then you will be fine.

If you have any other problems then please feel free to pm me.

Tracey,

Where are your pro's and con's???

I for long enough use Hive TeeTree Creme wax and loved it. I tried the hive honey wax but didnt like the smell more than anything so moved over to the t-tree creme wax. I must have used this for four years without much problem. About 18 months ago I introduced Hive film wax after hearing about the new system waxes for face, underarms and bikini hairs. This was a really good wax and it changed my waxing completely. I really started to enjoy waxing with the film wax and my waxing improved 10 fold.

I noticed during last year that a few geeks were talking about a fabbo wax called Perron Regot and thought I would like to try what everyone was raving about. I got the Euroblond and I loved it.. it stayed much more flexible than the Hive film wax I was now used to .. could apply it cooler which my clients noticed straight away. I was inspired. I used to think I had to apply it too thick.. I soon got used to applying it thinner and it worked better when I did.

As I had loads of Hive creme wax in stock I continued to use that up. But once run out I bought in PR Cristial Ocian (sp) after seeing and using it when I did my training with Andy. I don't think I really got to grips with this actually... it never really worked for me, felt very sticky and I was never confident to put over the full leg just in case it set up. It never did set up .. but it was a bit difficult to take off if the leg was cooler. I just like creme wax and I think this was the problem if I am honest.

Along came the opportunity to try Berrins this summer and its been a whirlwind romance.. I love it. I love the flexibility of the Berins Blue... very similar to the Euroblond but I am able to apply it thinner and I don't have much trouble with bits being left behind now that I am used to it. As with the EB it is ideal for intimate areas as well as face and underarms.... its cons were that in the beginning I did have a fair bit of 'clean up' with left over bits to sort out. I am more or less sorted with this now.. I make sure that even though I have a thin strip, my edges are of an even consistency. But it can be a pain at first - a learning curve.

The JetSet is a marvellous wax too.... very similar to the PR Essential Rose but yet different. I did buy some PR ER after doing my training with Kim but couldnt get on with that either for some reason... its in store just in case I ever want to re-try it at some stage. The Jetset is very adaptable and ideal for areas that are sticky with sweat and intimate areas. When I havent been able to get one or two tiny hairs out of an initmate area on male and female.... I have applied the Jet and its taken them off no problem. For this is what I use it for now... I use the Blue for the majority of work.

Now the Ease... creamy gorgeous Ease... it is divine. End of!

I have not tried any other waxes on the market so can't comment on them.

I am loving Berins totally but I would never slate Perron Regot as that is a superb wax also.

:hug:

Last edited:
Tracey,

Where are your pro's and con's???

To me there are no cons at all and that is my opinion which is why I use it.

ease - economical to use on larger body areas and spreads thinly. Isnt sticky like some strip waxes. doesnt set up so you can apply to more areas before removal.

blue - sets up quick and remains flexible. doesnt get brittle and break (if applied correctly). removes fine and course hair. great for facial waxing and especially eyebrows.

jet set - great for the summer months as sets up in a instant yet remains flexible.

hope this answers your question !!!

What are the pro's & cons of your current brand of wax!

Nice posting Pinky and very relevant as looking at the boards lately it does seem that waxing is becoming an ever bigger part of the Salon Geek world we choose to live in and this could be very helpfully :hug:

There must be hundreds of brands out there that you guy's use so lets hear why you choose the brand/s you use.

Is the decision based on a price point thing or is it that you simply :Love: the wax you use or is it because you've been using the same old wax since you started out and simply haven't been tempted to try a different one.

Do you,like Pinky,use more than one brand..I.E. brand A is fantastic at doing a certain job whilst brand B does a better job doing something else so you use both of them to be in a position to offer the very best results to your customers.

Sorry Pinky not trying to hijack your posting...just trying to help it along as it could be VERY informative :hug:

Hi guys :)

I too think this could be an informative thread, although I don't have much experience with wax because I only started waxing 2 months ago.

I used the Salon Systems wax when I trained, I think it was a gel wax which I found really easy to apply and removed most hairs.

I had already bought some Hive creme strip wax before I went on my course (they had a 3 for 2 offer :)) I bought Original, Lemon Zest & Tea Tree. I used the tea tree first and absolutely loved it, no redness when doing brows, lips, chin etc but the thing I didn't really like was it wouldn't spread like the gel had on legs when I was on my course.

I have now moved on to the Lemon Zest. Don't like it at all, everyone comes up red and still can't get it to spread properly when doing legs (that's probably just user error!). I think my Original is going to go back (it's unopened) and see if I can swap it for a Tea Tree.

I would love to try the PR Euroblonde and the Berins, especially so I can use it on the more intimate areas like high bikini's & brazilians.

I hope this is ok?

xx

I don't really see the point of this thread PP although I know you and I know it was started with genuine intentions.

However, this WILL end up in yet another boring Perron Rigot v Berins thread. We are all biased towards to wax we use and if we're real pro's, we use the wax that we use because we believe it to be the best.

What some people may find difficult to use, another with consider the best wax they've ever used.

I'm sick and tired of the whole wax war so I'm not going to give my opinions. I'm just going to get on with what I do best and that's wax.

Nothing personal to you Lyndsey. xxx

I have to completly disagree with you on this one kim. There has been an awfull lot of interest in what wax to buy recently that i think pink potions has raised a good topic of interest. I think comments like this should be done through pm and not on the board as this is supposed to be an informative site not for wax wars as u have said.

I have used hive spatula and pot for some time, which to be honest i really liked. The product was cheap and did what it said on the tin . I then went on to use the roller wax as i was going mobile and was sick of the wax ending up all over my car. The problem i had with this was that i had never used a roller system and just could not seem to get the wax to actually come out of the roller. But this i think was due to me not being ofay with this technique so to speak:).
After discovering this site, i learnt that there was so many other waxing products and techniques on the market, i was introduced to perron rigot wax, which i have to say is an amazing product, but like all products what suits one does not necessarily suit another. The oceans blue went on like a dream, i could actually cover two legs really easily as it spread like margarine rather than my old whole sale wax that kind of went on like butter.
The euroblonde i had nothing to compare with as i had never used a hot wax other than a demo on me at college many moons ago. This wax is also amazing, but i did find it took a while to set up no matter how thin a strip i applied. I then used the berrins jet set, which i got on with a treat. I had a few teething problems to start but over all love it for my intamate waxing.

I have to completly disagree with you on this one kim. There has been an awfull lot of interest in what wax to buy recently that i think pink potions has raised a good topic of interest. I think comments like this should be done through pm and not on the board as this is supposed to be an informative site not for wax wars as u have said.
My tuppence worth...

I disagree with your opinion Jenny and I think that Kim made a very valid point.

There has been far too much animosity between some wax geeks, both on and off the forum... add that to the animosity that's been happening with the tanning geeks and it becomes quite tedious :rolleyes: :zzz:

Providing the thread can keep on track with members giving the pro's and con's of their particular wax brand and those brands they've used previously then hopefully peace will reign supreme!
What I don't want to see is a fight break out between the aforementioned wax brand users.

Happy Geeking and Happy Waxing :wink2:

Okay i feel the need to talk about GiGi waxes aswell i was going to let someone else but i might aswell, I'm on a roll!

GiGi brazilian hard wax - Goes on really thick! Sets as hard as a brick then snaps into a trillion pieces when you try to remove it!

GiGi strip waxes - A little thicker on application which clogs your strip up faster but all in all nice waxes to use!

GiGi lotions - I love them so much!!!! Especially wax off which gets all the wax bits off and has calming aloe vera in it, not to forget it smells like Pina Colada

Okay i feel the need to talk about GiGi waxes aswell i was going to let someone else but i might aswell, I'm on a roll!

GiGi brazilian hard wax - Goes on really thick! Sets as hard as a brick then snaps into a trillion pieces when you try to remove it!

GiGi strip waxes - A little thicker on application which clogs your strip up faster but all in all nice waxes to use!

GiGi lotions - I love them so much!!!! Especially wax off which gets all the wax bits off and has calming aloe vera in it, not to forget it smells like Pina Colada

I have never used or seen Gigi wax being used... I did once get a dvd from Gigi Wax and it looked pretty good watching the professionals application. Is it more like the 'old style' hard wax where you build it up then because that used to go quite brittle as you described Lyndsey?

Where I go for my underarms waxing, they use Clean & Easy with roller and pot and spatular, it feels quite hot when applied to my underarms but I can't do them myself so I put up with it for the couple of mins it takes her :)

My main wax is Clean & Easy. I love the ease of using it, but constantly cleaning/changing the heads can be time consuming. I also don't find that the wax maintains it's temperature throughout the service. Maybe it's just me.:irked:

I use a few different waxes and Perron Rigot has been spoken about before so I wont go over the same old ground.

I also use Australian Body Care Wax not the hot wax but the tube wax.
Pros,
Clean and easy to apply the applicator is hygienic no worrying about double dipping.
Cons,
I find the temp control difficult and never seem to get it quite right.

thats my little insight :hug:

I have never used or seen Gigi wax being used... I did once get a dvd from Gigi Wax and it looked pretty good watching the professionals application. Is it more like the 'old style' hard wax where you build it up then because that used to go quite brittle as you described Lyndsey?

Hmmm they say it's new style so doesn't need the figure of 8 application but it just isn't flexible enough to be applied thinly if you know what i mean. It does feel exactly like the old style hot waxes, same brittleness etc

It's really not my cup of tea but like i say where they fail in wax they more than make up for in lotions & potions!

I bought the GiGi intimate waxing dvd about a year ago and i remember being disgusted by the womans hygiene, she had dirty finger nails and no gloves on.

Maybe another GiGi user can shed some light on their experiences x

Hi I have used Gigi hot wax in the past and found it very good. I have also used Clean and Easy hot wax but preferred it for legs. This was because it was very spreadable and easy for longer strips. I thought the Gigi chocolate warm wax was awful - hard to get off. I am just about to try Berins blue so will see what happens.

I feel though that this thread is so subjective. We all find we have our personal preferences and what suits one will not suit another and our clientele. However I am wondering that some heaters must affect the wax. Some run hotter than others whether you pour straight into a heater or place a pot in will affect heat conductivity. My old Hive heater I found very unpredictable but my clean and easy heater very stable. :confused:

I feel though that this thread is so subjective. We all find we have our personal preferences and what suits one will not suit another and our clientele. However I am wondering that some heaters must affect the wax. Some run hotter than others whether you pour straight into a heater or place a pot in will affect heat conductivity. My old Hive heater I found very unpredictable but my clean and easy heater very stable. :confused:

That is true it does depend on the individual! BUT... I think if there was a wax maybe not as well heard of that a few people said was good then i would try it and may in effect get something better than what i have, maybe cheaper etc.

I think in general, we like the same qualities in waxes you just have to look at how popular the popular waxes are but there must be soooo many more that don't get shouted from the roof tops that are equally as good!

I use the Australian Bodycare wax system and have done for quite a few years. Before I have worked with clean+easy, PHD and the the pot and spatula system at college, think the brand was salon system.

I don't really have a list of pros as such but the main two reasons I like this system is that I love cream wax and I find tube wax easiest & quickest to apply.

I suppose the only negative would be that you couldn't really use this system for brazilians etc although having not been trained in them I couldn't really give an accurate answer.

There is no reason for me to change wax systems/brands at the moment, I would possibly consider it if some amazing new tube system was launched but at the moment I am prefectly happy with what Im using.

i think i have tried most waxes on the market :lol:
i currently use phd - i had one yrs ago , it got on my nerves and i sold it , only to get another when i started mobile !!
pros- brill for mobile , no mess , excellent hygeine (although you can have that with a pot and spatual anyway ) is quick
cons - it does get on my nerves sometimes , the temp can be a pain in behinde depending on room temp, client temp etc.....

hot wax i use the euroblonde ,cant really give a proper pro / cons coz to be honest i havent used it loads and loads since i did the demo day with andy , i did do a few underarms and bikini and found it left a few hairs behind (no doubt my application at fault there ) so havent felt comfortable using it on clients really till i am up to speed
i am gonna try start using it on my hubby , lol he will just have to like having his legs and stuff waxed , haha

anyway thats just my bit :green: xxxx

Latest posts

Back