What's going on with employment?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlalouise

Reaction score
I've been trying to find a Therapist for over 7 weeks now and have not found one serious applicant!

I had one lovely girl start, only to resign 3 weeks i later re child care issues, another one lasted a day, turned up 35 minutes late, was completely apathetic all day and then decided the distance (which was nothing) was too much for her - shame she didn't come to that conclusion after two interviews!! Another interviewed well, she accepted the job and 10 minutes before coming in to finalise things, texted me to say she wasn't coming!!

I've had people apply and dictate to me what hours they'll do, one told me that her children obviously came first so if she couldn't make the interview she would call to rearrange! Several applicants have told me they don't do Saturdays not under any circumstances.

I could go on - it's an absolute joke, however I'm desperate and not laughing!

What's going on, is our industry completely saturated that no descent Therapist needs work?

Last edited:
I think the main problem is any therapist worth there weight is either settled into a good job, self employed or own and run a salon themselves.

From what you've said, the state of applicants is typical and the main reason they're not employed.

Unfortunately anyone seems to be able to train as a beauty therapist but very few can do it to a good standard.

I could go do an NVQ 2 & 3 in beauty if I wanted to but doesn't make me good at anything.

When I used to employ it used to be hard to find a designer who didn't want to take weeks to do 1 design as that's what they do at college/uni etc. They can't master doing several designs a day all at once. They have the no how but no experience and common sense with dealing with clients.

I think the main problem is any therapist worth there weight is either settled into a good job, self employed or own and run a salon themselves.

From what you've said, the state of applicants is typical and the main reason they're not employed.

Unfortunately anyone seems to be able to train as a beauty therapist but very few can do it to a good standard.

I could go do an NVQ 2 & 3 in beauty if I wanted to but doesn't make me good at anything.

When I used to employ it used to be hard to find a designer who didn't want to take weeks to do 1 design as that's what they do at college/uni etc. They can't master doing several designs a day all at once. They have the no how but no experience and common sense with dealing with clients.

Christ banner penguin I always look at your responses and thing you give very detailed helpful responses however I think that response is increadibly harsh to be honest!!!
Saying that anyone can train into being a beauty therapist but very few are actually any good?? What on earth makes you say that?

Nicola! Xxx

What do you put in your adverts? Are you appealing to the right sort of people?

If it gets to the interview and the don't want to work Saturdays then you clearly have stated anything like that on the advert.

We do a huge amount of recruitment, best do a telephone conversation and suss some of this out then invite to a face to face.

Christ banner penguin I always look at your responses and thing you give very detailed helpful responses however I think that response is increadibly harsh to be honest!!!
Saying that anyone can train into being a beauty therapist but very few are actually any good?? What on earth makes you say that?

Nicola! Xxx

It's true for any industry Nicola. I know some shockingly bad accountants with more letters after their name than you can shake a stick at....

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

It's true for any industry Nicola. I know some shockingly bad accountants with more letters after their name than you can shake a stick at....

I guess I can see your point just reading it though it just sounded really quite harsh... Goodness.. I hope I'm not a therapist who isn't very good :((

Nicola! Xxx

I guess I can see your point just reading it though it just sounded really quite harsh... Goodness.. I hope I'm not a therapist who isn't very good :((

Nicola! Xxx

Awww no of course not, it wasn't personal Nicola, I'm sure. I couldn't imagine BP meaning his post as you have read it. He is being personal towards himself. . Saying he could do an NVQ and not be good at it. I have a nail certificate from CND ... and I know I'm not very good at it. ..ha ha.

Awww no of course not, it wasn't personal Nicola, I'm sure. I couldn't imagine BP meaning his post as you have read it. I have a nail certificate from CND ... and I know I'm not very good at it. ..ha ha.

No no I know it wasn't personal and I don't mean that it was it does just make u sit back and hope that you are doing all that you can to make sure you are a good therapist :)

Nicola! Xxx

No no I know it wasn't personal and I don't mean that it was it does just make u sit back and hope that you are doing all that you can to make sure you are a good therapist :)

Nicola! Xxx

You'll be able to tell by your client base. ...ha ha. I'm sure yours is just fine. :)

You'll be able to tell by your client base. ...ha ha. I'm sure yours is just fine. :)

Yeah I guess,,,, I havnt got any so I must b rubbish 👍😝 just joking lol

Nicola! Xxx

Nicola! Xxx

Hi Nicola,

Please don't take it personally and it's not just limited to the Hair and Beauty industry. Like Virtues said, it can be the same with accountants and all sorts.

I may be slightly edging on the critical side when I say very few are good but what I meant was there are lots and lots of therapists that are now trained and work bloody hard but find it hard to get clientele due to the saturation of the market.

My point was, anyone of a certain age bracket can walk into college and go on an NVQ course. I'm not saying everyone who does is bad by any means as it's where everyone starts but the fact remains that anyone has the opportunity to do it.

Same with designers, accountants etc.

Hi Nicola,

Please don't take it personally and it's not just limited to the Hair and Beauty industry. Like Virtues said, it can be the same with accountants and all sorts.

I may be slightly edging on the critical side when I say very few are good but what I meant was there are lots and lots of therapists that are now trained and work bloody hard but find it hard to get clientele due to the saturation of the market.

My point was, anyone of a certain age bracket can walk into college and go on an NVQ course. I'm not saying everyone who does is bad by any means as it's where everyone starts but the fact remains that anyone has the opportunity to do it.

Same with designers, accountants etc.

No I completely understand what you are saying please don't worry. I get what you were meaning :)

Nicola! Xxx

What do you put in your adverts? Are you appealing to the right sort of people?

If it gets to the interview and the don't want to work Saturdays then you clearly have stated anything like that on the advert.

We do a huge amount of recruitment, best do a telephone conversation and suss some of this out then invite to a face to face.

No I haven't stipulated Saturdays for a full time position because I stupidly thought it was (in our trade) obvious that they would be needed for some or all Saturdays. In my area Beauticians are being expected to work Saturday and Sundays.

I have had conversations on the phone, that's when I've found out that they "don't do Saturdays".

No I haven't stipulated Saturdays for a full time position because I stupidly thought it was (in our trade) obvious that they would be needed for some or all Saturdays. In my area Beauticians are being expected to work Saturday and Sundays.

I have had conversations on the phone, that's when I've found out that they "don't do Saturdays".

Tbh even I thought it was a given to work Saturdays!
I think there's a lot less jobs now days that are simple 9-5 mon-fri. A lot of jobs are Saturdays now.

Clearly nothing can be assumed from what you've said

I've had two Monday to Friday jobs, it depends on the salon and opening hours.

I would make it clear- full time - including Saturdays and occasional Sundays.

Add thinks like - are you hardworking, determined and want to be part of a growing, dynamic team?

Please apply with CV and cover letter to [email protected]

I always nosey at other salons advert to see how they attract their recruits!

So many adverts say - stylist needed, call this mobile - would you apply to that??

What I find baffling is that anyone would ever want to work for someone else in a salon. The work is hard and the pay is pittance. The hours are usually rubbish too as like you say, you're expected to work Saturdays and some days are really long from what I've read on this site.

Maybe that's why you're getting rubbish candidates. Anyone with a bit of intelligence would surely be working for themselves. What's the minimum wage these days? Is it £6.30 or something laughable? I make 3 times that in an hour working for myself including overheads and I get to choose my own sociable hours.

I think maybe most therapists have realised that working for someone else isn't very lucrative.

I always have preferred the idea of taking therapists fresh from college so I can mould them into my own! I think therapists in this day and age seem to differ from the classic, well turned out knowledgable therapist to the express, no care for any academic as long as I can stick you some nice nails on therapist!
Xx

Clearly nothing can be assumed from what you've said

I've had two Monday to Friday jobs, it depends on the salon and opening hours.

I would make it clear- full time - including Saturdays and occasional Sundays.

Add thinks like - are you hardworking, determined and want to be part of a growing, dynamic team?

Please apply with CV and cover letter to [email protected]

I always nosey at other salons advert to see how they attract their recruits!

So many adverts say - stylist needed, call this mobile - would you apply to that??

My ad was absolutely fine but thank you for your advise.

As far as I'm concerned, you want full time work as a beauty therapist, you've got to work the busiest day Of the week.

Last edited:
What I find baffling is that anyone would ever want to work for someone else in a salon. The work is hard and the pay is pittance. The hours are usually rubbish too as like you say, you're expected to work Saturdays and some days are really long from what I've read on this site.

Maybe that's why you're getting rubbish candidates. Anyone with a bit of intelligence would surely be working for themselves. What's the minimum wage these days? Is it £6.30 or something laughable? I make 3 times that in an hour working for myself including overheads and I get to choose my own sociable hours.

I think maybe most therapists have realised that working for someone else isn't very lucrative.

Well I would to gain experience, but after I felt confident enough; I'd be out on my own!

My ad was absolutely fine but thank you for your advise.

As far as I'm concerned, you want full time work as a beauty therapist, you've got to work the busiest day Of the week.

I totally agree with u!! If I was applying for a job I would expect to work Saturday!!! You generally finish at a decent time on a Saturday to still be able to go out and stuff so I don't see the big problem with working Saturday.. Dunno why anyone else would either!!

Stick to your guns Carla!! :))

Latest posts

Back