whats the difference..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emma's nails

Reaction score
stupid question, but whats the difference between a sable and Kolinsky brush.

no difference. The full name for L&P brush hair is Kolinsky Red Marten Sable

Just a thought on this subject;

Most people have heard of fur coats, but what about fur brushes? Fur brushes are used in the fine arts and cosmetics industries by artists and beauticians.
gr-spacer.gif

Wild animals and farmed animals are killed to turn into brushes. Is this necessary? Many people would say that a good artist can paint with just about anything and that beauty should be cruelty free.

i like to fingerpaint :wink2: :lol:

Thanks for that Nikki.......but I don't think finger painting will work with L&P!!!
Alfie you have made a valid point, one one I am sorry to say has never crossed my mind....yet I would NEVER buy or wear a fur coat......

I guess I've always thought that they just gave the animals a good clean shave... guess I'm wrong huh?

Cows are farmed for food.... Pigs are farmed for food.... I love my meat....

I wear leather shoes and clothes and I obviously use a REAL fur brush... :rolleyes:

It doesn't bother me if the animal was killed... Although I must admit I thought they would have just been shaved too...

If synthetic brushes were as good as REAL ones then top makup artists and nail artists would use them.

I know this may sound daft, but I always thought they took the hair from the tail, so it was like a good pluck.

i don't think they go out and kill the animals to make a brush,maybe they bought the the skin from the animals that were used for meat so nothing on the animal went to waste, they don't throw away anything these days.

It is a thought but it is an incorrect assumption.

The hair to make brushes is from the tail hair only and the animals are not killed for the hair. The brushes are not made from the fur (as in coats) only the tail hair. So if you have a conscience about this, then you need not worry about it any more.

A good artist can not paint with 'just about anything'??? . Read the tutorial about ,Brush control part 1' and you will learn more about what your brush should be doing for you. and why and how.

alfie said:
Just a thought on this subject;

Most people have heard of fur coats, but what about fur brushes? Fur brushes are used in the fine arts and cosmetics industries by artists and beauticians.
gr-spacer.gif

Wild animals and farmed animals are killed to turn into brushes. Is this necessary? Many people would say that a good artist can paint with just about anything and that beauty should be cruelty free.

Thanks Gigi, I thought that was what I had read..
geeg said:
The hair to make brushes is from the tail hair only and the animals are not killed for the hair. The brushes are not made from the fur (as in coats) only the tail hair. So if you have a conscience about this, then you need not worry about it any more

The animals are not killed for their tail hairs.... the same as sheep get shorn and we use the wool for knitting..............and no humans are killed for their hair, to give us the hair for hair extensions...........
and yes like Gigi said its not the case of a brush is a brush.........

But I can understand someones concern if this was the case.....

A little addition to this as it makes a difference to the cost.

Not all sable fur is the same. There are different types of sable (like different sheep). A Kolinsky sable brush is more expensive than an 'unspecified' sable brush.

The shape of an individual Kolinsky hair is markedly different from any other which is why it is great for l&p. The result of this shape in a brush means that the 'belly' of the brush has a huge resevoir for holding the monomer and the very end is resillient (it has 'snap') so it has perfect pressure abilities for 'sculpting with your brush and not with your buffer'!

In my opinion, it is worth paying extra for Kolinsky cos you get what you pay for!

Latest posts

Back