Which course do I need to be on at college for hairdressing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessy

Reaction score
Hello :) I'm new here and was hoping for some help. I enjoy hair basically, I love colouring hair and I really have a passion for hair. I want to become a hairdresser after I leave school in May. The college I will be going to does a lvl 1 in hair & beauty which would be useless since I don't want to do beauty. Then it does a VRQ lvl 2 diploma in hair then the only other thing I can see in the prospectus is the NVQ level 3 in hairdressing. Is the VRQ the course I want to be on? I've read that the VRQ is useless and I don't want to be messing around. I want to be on the right course. 4 gcse D's are needed for the level 1, yet it says entry requirements for the VRQ is at least 1 C grade and 2 D grades at Gcse and a genuine interest in hair dressing (which I have haha) so would I be able to start on this level two and is this VRQ the correct one I need to start on then would I follow on the the level 3 NVQ? I'm so so confused so please can somebody help me. I want to be prepared early and I will apply early too. I am determined to be a good hairdresser. My hairdresser told me you can be kicked off if you mess around but I'm not the type to mess around, all I want is to become a qualified hairdresser. Thanks :)

Hi. You would be best to start on the level 2. Even better in my opinion would be to find an apprentiship. If you are serious with it you can qualify much more quickly than on a college course.

Hey, thanks for replying. I had my heart set on an apprenticeship but haven't found any places in my town taking on any. I would love it if I could do an apprenticeship at the salon I go to. A woman has been my hairdresser since I was about 10, I'm now 15 lol and she's friendly with my family, I get along nicely with her and go to get my roots bleached every 12 weeks but she's currently not taking on since she has a young girl working alongside her doing rent a chair. However I was talking to a connexions career advisor at school and she said that even if I'm doing the college course, if I find an apprenticeship I could quite the full time college course and do the salon work and only have to go in college 1 day a week.

Have you been round to all the salons? Well not all, only ones that look like you would learn lots. Where i live we have a technical college and also a hairdressing academy. I trained in the academy. You can train much quicker that way as they don't close for summer hols etc... Have a proper look about online etc

Could you maybe put an advert in the paper saying you want an apprentiship? i would think this would show initiative and willing to salon owners :wink2:

Yeah I actually asked around them all there is 5 in my town, I've posted little business cars letting them know I would perhaps like to work in salons on weekends and that I am looking for an apprenticeship, I've been in as well but heard nothing. I don't think I'll be able to afford to go to an academy though because I come from a low income family where both my mum and sister have disabilities :(

I got to go to my academy through an appreniship. Well it's deffo worth a nose at the college then. Don't do level 1 as you will just be wasting your time. I used to teach level 1 to people still in year 11 at school.

Thanks for clearing that up for me :)

i went straight from school into my level 2 hun , they include everything out of level 1 in it , i think if you have drive and you wreally want to do it then you will be successful wether you are trained through college or in salon (in salon you will get a lot more hands on knowledge though )
good luck and if you need any help let us know we are all willing to help xx

I've applied so have I definetely got on the right course?

:biggrin:If you cant get an apprentiship, and go full time college, offer to go voluntary to a salon 1 day a week,as that will help you learn salon duties, and watching the stylist work.You will also have a better chance of getting work when employed if you have some salon experience.All the best of luck to you,it is hard, but very rewarding.Take care.x

The nvq2 course is the best option for college! I started mine in september and its great! Were already colouring and are quite away into our cutting programme!

Would definately reccomend some salon experience to!

Latest posts

Back