Will putting cream on my skin strip my spray tan?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janeelio

Reaction score
I got a spray tan today and I'm supposed to wait 8 hours before washing it off. I have dry skin and some redness and just wanted to know if applying a moisturising cream to my skin will strip or effect my spray tan?

Should I wait until I've showered after 8 hours to apply the cream so that way the outer tan has been washed off? Are there any creams to avoid? Should I stay away from any creams containing alcohol? Need some advice from people who know a fair bit about tans, using cream and dry skin.

I have noticed that in the area where I have dry skin/redness, the tan looks a bit darker?

You can moisturise using an oil free moisturiser, it's the oil that strips the tan. Knowing you have dry skin did you exfoliate and moisturise your skin several days prior to your tan to prepare your skin? (No moisturiser on the day of your tan)

I did moisturise before, however it was the exfoliation that made my skin a bit rough/dry again. I'll use an oil free moisturiser, thanks.

Well the tan was a disaster by the next morning. It seemed to grab in all the areas where I had dry/red skin... and go either patchy or darker with a ring around it where the tan seemed to have come off. I thought I had moisturised these areas sufficiently in the days leading up to the tan, and they seemed to be fine the morning I got it. After exfoliation they did look a little red but weren't too bad, so I'm not sure. Anyway as soon as I woke up the next morning it went like this...

wtvk3c.jpg

Omg! The night before a tan, especially if u have dry skin, I always get my clients to exfoliate and apply a good body butter or cream to their body, especially the drier areas. Then shower an hour before getting your tan done. If you have drier skin exfoliation may irritate it so applying a good cream always helps. It helps to ensure your spray tan is suitable for your skin type too but unfortunately for you, if your skin is always quite dry a spray tan won't last as long as it would on someone who has a normal skin type :-( xx

I applied cocoa butter for dry skin the night before and also that morning. Are there any creams you recommend? Obviously I will need to wash the creams off in the shower an hour before the tan right? Sometimes I can get a spray tan with no blotchiness but thats usually only when my skin hasn't been acting up.

Did you apply cream before you showered off the guide colour?

If so this may have caused problems with your tan as it hadn't fully developed underneath.

Most brands offer moisturisers and scrubs to use to prolong your tan.

Personally I'd avoid body butters before or after a tan as they're so rich and oil based which will break down your spray tan.
Xx

Latest posts

Back