Work Experience Interview

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julie-b

Reaction score
I had an interview today with a salon that I had contacted enquiring about work experience. The salon owner asked me to bring my nail tech kit with me to show what I could do :eek: I did make it clear beforehand that I was newly qualified and hadn't had any salon experience. Anyway, I thought nothing ventured, nothing gained so along I went. I gave the owner a natural manicure which went well. Then he asked me to do a rebalance on his partner ... well I have done a rebalance before but it was during my training, haven't had the need to do one since then. So I started doing my prep work and filed off any lifting etc. I then picked up my first bead. I knew as soon as I looked at it that it was too large and too dry, so why I didn't just wipe it off and do it again I don't know! I applied it to zone 3 and of course it went on far too thick and too dry. Grrrrrr. The lady was really nice and gave me a couple of tips on what I should do. I did the others and they were "okay" but I'm really disappointed with my performance. I'm really keen to get some salon work experience - I even offered to work for nothing but I think the salon are ideally looking for staff. They said they will get in touch with me, and I haven't heard anything from them yet so I guess no news is good news but I'm not holding my breath:sad: . I'm a bit annoyed with myself as I know I could've done a whole lot better but even if nothing comes of it I do think it has been good learning experience, at least of what not to do (gotta think positive!).

Best wishes

Julie

oh try not to let it get you down, its awful when you are under pressure like that ,dont worry i am sure everyone is the same , i know i am so your not alone on that score , just keep practising , and see some other salons , good luck love dee :biggrin:

thanks Dee - it's a tough one isn't it. I still haven't heard anything - had hoped there would be an e-mail or phone message waiting for me when I got home today. I think in many ways I was really hoping they would let me just do some work experience initially and I would have been happy to come in for free. I'm not sure if I actually feel confident to have real, live clients! My clients to date have been friends and I've only been charging a fiver although I have now put up my prices to £15 for a full set of L&P. But hey ho, I guess that's life:wink2:

I do appreciate the encouragement though - so thanks again Dee:biggrin:

Julie

Hiya Julie - it's always hard, isn't it, when you're in a situation where you're being judged, you end up doing things you know you wouldn't normally. I know it's not the same, but when I took my driving test, I got marked down for taking a corner up a hill in third gear where I should have gone down to second - I knew full well that the car was labouring, but was torn between changing because it was the right thing to do, or not changing down because it would have been 'admitting' that I had chosen the wrong gear. Like with your too-dry bead - do you wipe off and make it obvious you've done it wrong, or wonder if you forge ahead anyway, it'll all be OK?
I wouldn't worry too much about not having heard yet, how long has it been? It could take them a couple of days to get back to you if they're busy or haven't had time to discuss it. If you haven't heard in a week, give them a ring, be chatty and maybe say something like maybe they could give you an appraisal even if they can't offer you anything, so you know where you can improve. That will bring you back to their attention, and even if they can't offer you anything right now, it will stand in your favour that you've asked for feedback and can take criticism. Enthusiasm and a willingness to learn will always put you in a good light.
I haven't done any sets other than my mum and sister so far as all my friends are away at uni. I have a couple of my mum's friends who might want sets at the end of the month but I am working on my powder dip and fibreglass as they are not normal nail wearers who will want to take them off quite quickly. I'm very nervous as although they're lovely ladies I'm worried that I'll forget things or that I'll do something wrong.
Good luck with the searching, just keep at it girl! My sister spend 6 months doing various work experience and sending her CVs to companies, now she has landed her dream job at an events company partly through sheer determination. I'm sure something will work out soon!
xx

No matter what, I always do a few practice beads before I start any photo shoot because the temperature and conditions do affect the workability of the product.

So it doesn't mean you are admitting you have done something wrong if you do this,; on the contrary it is the smart thing to do. If the bead isn't right, get rid and make another until your ratio is right for the conditions in which you are working.

You can always explain why you are doing it to avoid any misunderstanding!

Latest posts

Back