Worried tech may have used mma

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breezer5012

Reaction score
I've just had a full set of acrylics with and airbrushed nail art on each nail (stenciled in white). My CND trained mate normally does them but had soaked them off last visit and then was ill so couldn't replace them straight away. She is still ill and I'm going to a wedding tomorrow so I went to a nail bar today which had been recommended by my hairdreser. The tech there was vietnamese (as were all the staff) and seemed to do a fabby job and the nails look great. She was CND trained too but said that she now did nails the 'Vietnamese way'. She seemed to do everything my friend does. The cost was £28. Since coming home, I've read about MMA and am now concerned that this may have been used. Can anyone give me any advice? I guess I should call the shop tomorrow and ask them if MMA was used. What do I do now if it has been used? My natural nails have been great up til now and haven't suffered at all from my friends acrylics. I had never heard of MMA until I noticed an article on it tonight.

did they do correct prep or did they use an e-file and shred your nail plate before applying product? that's normally a telltale sign...

Not sure what real prep is - I'm not trained :o(. She used a powered file to lightly rough up the nail surface, but I've had the same before with a hand file. She didn't seem to file much - just enough to rough it up up bit.

I Wouldnt Worry To Much About It Now, The Damage If Any Will Not Be Permenent. Just Stick With Your Friend From Now On.

Do they have clarity or are they sort of slightly milky in colour?

by prep i mean using a cuticle remover liquid or gel with a silver or chrome coloured tool to remove (by hand) any non-living tissue from your nail plate before continuing with the product application.
if you did ring the salon to ask which products they used then chances are they would never admit to using mma.
if mma has been used then there's not much you can do apart from either letting them grow out or having your nailtech friend debulk the product and trying to soak them off.
were you in any pain at all during the treatment?

They look pretty clear - much the same as previous ones. Only difference is they feel slightly uncomfortable - a little stingy. Not badly, but enough to notice. I bit my nails until 6 months ago so my nails attach to the bed quite low down if that makes any difference!

By the way - huge repect to all you nail techs! Acrylics have stopped me biting and (up til now) haven't damaged my nails at all - in fact I can't believe how strong they are when the acrylics are off. Well impressed! For the first time in 35 years I have nails I am proud of :)

Hi Sandi - no pain during the session.

I do not think you need to worry at this stage. But I wouldn't let anyone use a drill on my natural nails ... that is allot more damaging than the exfoliation done with a soft buffer by your Creative Tech. Your nails will not stay strong if you continue down this road.

breezer5012 said:
Hi Sandi - no pain during the session.
only reason I asked is that some of my clients are ex NSS (non standard salon) clients and they were surprised that it didn't hurt them when I did their enhancements, also they'd never had correct prep done before :eek:
the shocking thing I noticed is that some of them knew that the salons weren't following correct hygiene procedures etc and although they experienced pain or discomfort they kept on going back!!!
Congrats on being an ex-biter :hug: x

Thanks for your advice. I'm really impressed with the site - I'm hooked already and can't wait to start training! :p

ValencianNails said:
the shocking thing I noticed is that some of them knew that the salons weren't following correct hygiene procedures etc and although they experienced pain or discomfort they kept on going back!!!
I think there's only one reason for this Sandi and it's that they are cheap, mind you their prices are creeping up. In Loughton the average for a full set is £35-£40 and infills £24-£26 for one colour. In the NSS salon that's busy all day, they charge £28 for a full set and £18 for infills. Some salons in the East End of London charge as little as £12 for infills.

By the way, the clients in these salons are not just people that can't afford to pay the extra, they are full of Essex Birds with their personalised number plates. WHat's the answer?

Latest posts

Back