Would you employ me if...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mizzmarni

Reaction score
Ok this is only a hyperthetical question..

I am trying to decide if i should do a course at LCBT..

I am going to do the NVQ 2 beauty course which is a 7 month course

LCBT Home: Courses: What can I take?: Qualifications: Beauty Therapy NVQ (Level 2)

LCBT Home: About LCBT: Fast track to employment

What do you guys think? i have no previous experience in this feild.. would that way you or stop you from employing me??

Other wise im fairly intelligent BA (H) Marketing communications degree 2:1 and very chatty and kind..

Would REALLY apprechate any help you can give me.. need to decide what to do soon ... i know it is never garanteed employment but i just thought i would ask you guys as if anyone would know you would!

Kisses all

Mizz

from an employer point of view I can only advise to get your level 3. I think most salon employers also take this stance. I wish you all the best in your training.

personally I only employ level 3 therapists who have trained at a recognised college.

Other wise im fairly intelligent BA (H) Marketing communications degree 2:1 and very chatty and kind..

Mizz
May I just ask why, if you have a degree in Marketing, do you now want to train in Beauty? Surely you can get a fab job in marketing which will pay you loads more and you'd be able to pay off your student loan far more quickly? didn't you know that beauty is notoriously badly paid?
Sorry to be blunt, but I think you should know the facts before you take it any further.

May I just ask why, if you have a degree in Marketing, do you now want to train in Beauty? Surely you can get a fab job in marketing which will pay you loads more and you'd be able to pay off your student loan far more quickly? didn't you know that beauty is notoriously badly paid?
Sorry to be blunt, but I think you should know the facts before you take it any further.

Ahhhhh.... the age old question!

Well with out giving you my entire life story which is very long and intense (and im only 27!) There seem to be no fab jobs in marketing, i have been trying on and off for 4 years to get a job and its just not happening! I think i have decided to cut my losses! Marketing is something im not passionate about (apart from marketing for a makeup brand or salons e.t.c) but trying to get a job at Maz Factor is like getting info out of NATO --- I have spoken to both Max Factor and NATO so beleive me when i say Max Factor are worse!

My true passion is beauty.. since the age of 12 i have been obsessed with makeup and makeovers.. i know makeup is a particually hard world to get into so i decided beauty was the way to go which i could add on makeup at a later stage if i wished!

Also i have had really bad depression for the last 3 years and have been unable to work, i currently work in Boots (JOY!) and LOVED learning at uni so would like to do it again..

So after my loonnnggg and boring answer... i want to do something i enjoy as well as hopefully making a sucsessful carear out of it!

Sooo what do you think?

p.s all advice welcome.. i need it!!!

X

Hey hon!
Go for it - life is too short and all that - follow your passion and train! I would personally train at a college. I did all my training at various colleges and even though I am an old bird it gives you a good insight into the job. Yes its not the best paid job but you cant put a price on job satisfaction and feeling fulfilled. lol:)

I have worked in marketing 23 years most at a senior level then re-trained in beauty, opened my own salon and put a huge marketing campaign behind it. Results were extremely poor and still are. I now do both marketing cos it gives me a guaranteed very gud income and part time beauty.

Very interesting answer to my question, thank you for explaining.

My advice to you would be to do the 7 month level 2 course and try and find yourself a bit of work experience in a salon whilst you are at college. If you take your CVs around and call into a few salons to drop them off, I know it may sound shallow but the salon owner would meet you briefly and see who she is dealing with, and with your level of education and enthusiasm she will see what an asset you could be to her business. Although we're probably only talking unpaid work experience at this stage, if you get into the right salon and they let you observe treatments and maybe even have time to train you a little, this would give you the edge once you qualify and start seeking employment. It will also boost your confidence when carrying out treatments, and of course, they might even offer you a job once you qualify.

Ideally when you finish level 2, try and do level 3 as well, making you even more employable. No reason you can't complete your level 3 at college whilst also working part-time in a salon.

The more practical experience in this industry, the better, so do try and get you foot in the door at a salon/health spa/anywhere which does treatments as soon as possible.

Wishing you the best of luck :)

One thing that I have noticed time and time again whilst looking at the various threads on salon geek are the amount of people that have degrees who want to re-train in beauty therapy, the usual case for this is that the person in question is passionate about the industry and commited to learning. I myself have a degree and thats probably why I have noticed the amount of geeks out there with degrees, trust me there are loads of us

My advise to you is follow your heart, take the time recovering from your illness to re-train not only will you enjoy it but I guarantee you that it is excellent therapy and will do wonders for your health and as an added bonus you'll get to have the treatments as you practise on each other :) I am speaking from experience as I have a serious illness and have been off work for about 3 years and doing all my recent studying has helped me put my life on track!

Good luck with your choices, just go for it and let us know how you get on :hug: :hug:

anne xx

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back