XXL blue black :(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lee7smith

Reaction score
I went to do a strand test on a school girl yesterday who has been box dying her hair blue black ( slightly faded now ) she now wants Amelia lily pink - to make it worse she wants to grow her hair ...
Anyhow I did the strand test with bleach 12% and even that didn't budge much after 50 mins .. I've told her mum it's practically unachievable at the minute ... Do you agree ??

I've also got a feeling that even though I've said it's not a good idea she may go and try it herself as her mum did say that's what she originally planned ... Horror !

Last edited:
Yes agree totally, well if she goes and does that herself then she will soon relies it will not work , they will learn from there mistakes, not by telling them not to do it lol x

I've lifted XXL before using Tigi True Lights with 20%...although the Tigi rep did say she'd never seen XXL lift so cleanly before so maybe there was a bit of luck involved!
You're trying too hard using 12%, try another strand test with a lower strength...if you decide to go ahead.

The under 16's thing is interesting, but as said in that thread...why have we not heard anything about it?! I've googled and can't find anything else. Pretty important though dont you think?!

x x

I've lifted XXL before using Tigi True Lights with 20%...although the Tigi rep did say she'd never seen XXL lift so cleanly before so maybe there was a bit of luck involved!
You're trying too hard using 12%, try another strand test with a lower strength...if you decide to go ahead.

The under 16's thing is interesting, but as said in that thread...why have we not heard anything about it?! I've googled and can't find anything else. Pretty important though dont you think?!

x x

I thought it a bit strange too, but as I was informed by a hairdressing collage lecture I looked it up. Have a look at Habia it's there in black and white. It's also illegal to buy/sell box colours to under 16's. I havnt been asked to colour any under 16's since I knew about it, but I think I would check with my ins company first, just in case, especially as you are looking at a complicated job, some people love to get you into trouble if they can.

Why do people use bleach in correctly? 12% will do nothing other than shock the hair and knacker it!!

As for the habia thing, my colour tubes also state it now ;) I'm
Certainly sticking to it!!!

Why do people use bleach in correctly? 12% will do nothing other than shock the hair and knacker it!!

I have used 9% before on a different strand test for xxl and it's not lifted so I needed to test with 12% to see if there was a difference . Strand tests are just that - testing !

I have used 9% before on a different strand test for xxl and it's not lifted so I needed to test with 12% to see if there was a difference . Strand tests are just that - testing !

Instead of thinking I need to lift this out as best I can I'll use higher peroxide, try lower, it will take longer but the colour will be a cleaner result and the condition will be better!

It's not a personal dig and my previous post read like that for which I'm sorry, but with bleach it's having the understanding of how it works best, that plays a big part in getting the gonal colour right and I know not every college teaches the "correct" way.

Blondi Rae works well on xxl cosmic blue. I lifted it out of a friends a few months back to a very warm 5

I'm gonna have to get me some of this blondie Rae - where is the best place to get it ?

Instead of thinking I need to lift this out as best I can I'll use higher peroxide, try lower, it will take longer but the colour will be a cleaner result and the condition will be better!

It's not a personal dig and my previous post read like that for which I'm sorry, but with bleach it's having the understanding of how it works best, that plays a big part in getting the gonal colour right and I know not every college teaches the "correct" way.

Couldn't agree more! X

What would be a good time frame then to leave it with 6% ? If 12% was left on for 50 mins and barely touched .. . Lifting black hair confuses me :/
Just booked myself on the loreal colour keys to head to colour change courses ..
Never stop learning
Thanks for The replies so far ..

As for the habia thing, my colour tubes also state it now ;) I'm
Certainly sticking to it!!!

I would stick it this too, my insurance company dont insure me to work on under 16's that are wanting colour x

Latest posts

Back