Yell.com rudely pursuing me!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss Sylk

Reaction score
Anyone else get these lot calling trying to get you to advertise with them? Every 6 months rude scottish man calls me and no matter what i say hes got an answer fir it so j cant get away. Well I don't want too advertise with them and if I did I'd call them when I'm ready (as with any telesales company)
Well how rude!! Asking me am I busy? Could I be busier am I making enough? How do I promote? I say Facebook, he laughs at me in a pity full way!? The cheek! Facebook I the best thing that's happend to my business and its free I told him! He laughed making I m ow nothing about advertising, so as soon as he realised I wasn't parting with money after 20 mins said ok bye totally out of the blue! Anyone else had this?

Register your number with the telephone preference service, it will stop those calls!

I get one of a Scottish guy to. I also had a rude lady ring me up saying I owed them money because I had a paid listing, wow no I never it was free! Told her straight I haven't spoken to them since x

I've just had it today from a local free paper...don't even know why they think cold calling is welcomed. she rang me the other day to ask me if I wanted to advertise in bridal edition, had to be paid for that afternoon and deadline was 5pm for wording etc. I told her I would email her if and when I decided to advertise with them. Following day four missed calls from them and two today. Rang her back and she started on again about prices for different size ads, ended up me having to be quite blunt and say that if she wants to send me prices fine but I'm too busy to work out costings or wording in my head and if I want to do an ad I will contact her. She realised then I want buying anything nod got really sarky.
Grrrr so annoying.

I literally told them Ive gone out of business and ive ceased trading.
I no longer get any phonecalls and if I do I simply tell them the same thing. They can argue with that x

I think they are much pushier these days than they used for be. I started with a free line entry in yellow pages 8 years ago and it worked well. Then I got a website made independently. I kept a tab on how people found out about me, and it's always by my website, never by yell. Yell pursed me every hour for a week to get me to spend hundred pounds plus for them to put a website together. I can't see the point. They gave up in the end, But I think I will ask my customers if they ever go on yell to look for tradesmen, out of curiosity.

Hate hate hate cold callers ,they are the rudest people ever how they ever get a sale I do not know :-/

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

Anyone else get these lot calling trying to get you to advertise with them? Every 6 months rude scottish man calls me and no matter what i say hes got an answer fir it so j cant get away. Well I don't want too advertise with them and if I did I'd call them when I'm ready (as with any telesales company)
Well how rude!! Asking me am I busy? Could I be busier am I making enough? How do I promote? I say Facebook, he laughs at me in a pity full way!? The cheek! Facebook I the best thing that's happend to my business and its free I told him! He laughed making I m ow nothing about advertising, so as soon as he realised I wasn't parting with money after 20 mins said ok bye totally out of the blue! Anyone else had this?

I'm really surprised to hear this! I also advertise with Yell.com and they have only ever been really professional and helpful. I've just taken out a new contract for 2013 and they couldn't have done more.

I think you need to report this salesman to them as I doubt they even know he is behaving in this way.

Shocking!

PB
x

I had a paid advert with yell.com last year, and decided to let it lapse as I wasn't getting much business from it. For a month before it lapsed they called me every single day (I don't answer from 0800 numbers) and left me countless voicemails trying to get me to renew my contract! They then called me for about a month after it lapsed saying the slot was still available if I wanted it. So annoying!

Ugh they phone me too, I feel it's rude asking those questions too and a lot of them are quite arrogant!

I tell them I'm not interested, thank you and hang up.

About 2 months ago I got "How do your clients find you?" "Google, Facebook, Advertising Magazines..." "Well I can't find you on Google." "Well what a darn shame." Lol!

Xx

tbh, I don't know why you let him stay on the phone for 20 mins? If you know you dont want the service just say "no, sorry, bye" and hang up :)

I have to say I annoy these kinds of calls at home, but a few times I have been very rude. Today I had someone tell me I was in an accident that wasn't my fault (obviously) and maybe someone else on my policy may have been in one.
After about 5 minutes of him telling
Me my insurers have told them of my accident etc... I said "**** off, do you realise I don't drive and my provisional is sat in my friends purse, who moved to New Zealand last year?"
He apologised saying my insurers must have made a mistake "yeah they must have as I don't have a car insurance policy so its a big mistake, may as well take advantage and go driving now for free"

Tell yell straight " listen, I don't want an ad, if I did I would call you, but calling me puts me off anything being sold. I have the Internet, so any service I want I can find and research,
But clearly I don't want an ad with yell!"

Must add, i use yell quite often, and without it my aunt would be locked out of her house to this day.
Xoxo

Last edited by a moderator:
It drives me mad but Ive toughened up a lot. But listed myself on 'uk small business directory' and on there it says if you get calls from people saying they're from google, facebook, emergency services its nothing to do with them. Guess these people target certain websites and off they go.

Last week my sister took a call at home some guy asking for me, said I was out and she asked to take a message, who is this etc and he reluctantly said his name and from emergency services. Well got her worrying, rang me at work (obviously I was ok), then we worried about parents, checked they was ok. Then someone said maybe was to do with my car, so I actually walked to where its parked for work to check!

But reading what I did now realise this is not unusual! But I don't list home number, only work and mobile so beats me how they go about tracing you and we are supposed to be ex-directory. He's rung a couple of times now, told sis if they keep ringing say I've moved out!

I get them all the time at the salon as I just started out in November the girls just ask what it's regarding and just say no not interested and hang up hehe they've eventually have up only one now and again but just need to stick to your guns they soon realise there wasting there time and hang up on you x

I registered a few days ago with a load of these free business listing sites (this is where these people get your number from). In the last week I have received about 10 calls from these companies (including Yell - Northern Irish, so he was) trying to sell me advertising. I now say on my website and voice mail message that I don't answer calls from non geographical numbers or withheld numbers. They really are pushy but you just have to tell them you're really not interested and hang up.

Cold calling ??? I hang up the moment they say hello..:cool:

Just tell them you don't advertise, simple as that, don't even entertain the small talk.

Seriously you guys, Telephone Preference Service!!

Register and they will stop and anyone who calls you can tell them you're on it and they will leave you alone!

I registered and it stopped the constant calls offering me ad space.

My grandad is great with cold callers. He just pretends he can't hear them "hello, hello? hello? can you hear me? Can you hear me now?? Yes? Good ****** OFF!" hahaha

I have the same with a company called 'beauty finder' harassing me to advertise with them.

every tuesday they call me from a blocked number and once they say 'hello its xxx from beauty finder' i hang up

one day they will get the message!

Seriously you guys, Telephone Preference Service!!

Register and they will stop and anyone who calls you can tell them you're on it and they will leave you alone!

I registered and it stopped the constant calls offering me ad space.

My grandad is great with cold callers. He just pretends he can't hear them "hello, hello? hello? can you hear me? Can you hear me now?? Yes? Good ***** OFF!" hahaha

Haha that made me laugh! Reminds me of a Micky Flanagan sketch where he pretends to be chinese and starts shouting in a 'chinese' launguage. I'm sure the other person on the end will put the phone down on you!

I will check out telephone preference service. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back