Yellow nails and lifting, no idea why!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rose143

Very Proud Creative Geek
Reaction score
Hi Peeps,

As you know I work part time at a salon, one of my clints there has L&P overlay over own nails as they are beautiful and now something terrible has started to happen. She is getting yellow circles or patches in the centre of her nail beds on about 5 nails and I have no idea why. I have done loads of full sets and my prep is properly done at all times. Also, right hand ring finger nail has started to seperate away from the nail bed and I am really upset about it. I asked her if she knocked it really hard and she said she bumped it but it wasn't sore at all. As far as I know I am the only person that has worked on her but she came in when I wasn't there one day as she had caught two in a craw and needed them repaired and this was not recorded on her client card but these nails are not the problem nails so it can only be me! I never have lifting or yellowing problems ever!! My clients always own up if they were picking etc etc. I am not saying I don't make mistakes but I have rethought my steps when doing her nails and it is making me lose sleep over the worrying.

I did think the yellowing might have had something to do with my brush being contaminated but I've done loads of cleints after her with no problems at all, no yellowing and no lifting.

Please help peeps :cry:, I feel terrible, she has gorgeous nails and I feel I have let her down, I truly care for her and I could not apologise enough to her.

I did the infills on the lifted nail but made the nail very short and told her to put solaroil under her free edge as well as her cuticle to help the healing process.

Sorry for the long post! :sad:

xxxx

i am probably totally off the mark here but it sounds like to me that when she banged her nails she developed pocket lifting and moisture has got in and this moisture has caused bacteria which causes the yellowing.
i would remove the overlay fro those nails "scrubfresh" well this will remove all traces of bacteria, or pathogens, then replace all the overlay on those nails you can gently buff the yellow away if not it will grow out.......sorry for the crap terminology.

*JOANNE* said:
i am probably totally off the mark here but it sounds like to me that when she banged her nails she developed pocket lifting and moisture has got in and this moisture has caused mold/bacteria which causes the yellowing.
i would remove the overlay fro those nails "scrubfresh" well this will remove all traces of bacteria, mold or pathogens, then replace all the overlay on those nails you can gently buff the yellow away if not it will grow out.......sorry for the crap terminology.

Hi Joanne,

Thanks for replying, Sorry I meant to say that I did remove the whole overlay .... sorry missed that bit out ...... lol ... I couldn't see properly through the overlay so removed the whole overlay to have a good look, I did buff gently and scrubfreshed loads of times and re-applied the fresh overlay, still can't understand why the other nails have yellowing underneath but no lifting!! Ohe well, hope someone will be able to shed some light on this problem! :|

xxxx

Hi Rose, I had yellowing nails with a client and it can be due to the following: 1: Cross contamination, 2: If you stand your brush instead of laying it flat it can be the die from the wooden handle 3: Fake tan 4: lotions & creams I was also told that old product can become yellow or product or low quality. My nails were tinged yellow after getting them covered in Indian dip :o I managed to buff the yellowness out and rebalanced the nails. If your sure it's not a contamination issue i'd say she's not quite being honest with you chick. Someone on here once had a client with yellow nails and she swore she hadn't done anything to cause it then said she sqeezes tea bags with her fingers :smack: I doubt it was anything to do with your prep or application - so chin up............. HTH

Hi, This would seem to be more a contamination problem than anything else......maybe your brush had been left upwards and some monomer lay in the ferrel area getting contaminated just before her last rebalance, but it all came out during her service and you stored it properly after that thus preventing any any of your other clients having this problem.
Or another reason for yellowing could be primer......did your primer touch the old product during your rebalance, or was it still wet when you applied your product as this can also cause yellowing...

Can I just add that mold does not grow on nails! you only get bacterial infections which are the excrections of bacteria feeding off the oil & moisture on the nail plate or fungal infections........glad I got that off my chest......

Hope you get to the bottom of the mystery....anything in the tutorials?

Pocket lifting and ageing of product, which will cause the product to go yellow and brittle can also be caused by working too wet, so it could be a ratio issue.

Sun beds can also add to yellowing and brittleness although I believe that Retention+ shouldn't be affected by UV light.

Just another idea to throw into the detective pot!

Hi, sorry I forgot to mention, that if her nail is seperating from the nail bed (onycholisis) due to the trauma of her catching her finger....I wouldent really advise putting solar oil in there at the free edge, yes I know the vitamin E does help in healing but if it is seperating it needs to be kept clean and DRY

Sorry to disagree, but I would always recommend the use of SolarOil on any person with onycholysis. Not only does it aid the healing process, but the oil is what keeps the tissue dry by repelling water and moisture whilst keeping the nailbed soft and supple so that the plate can more easily re-attach.

You are so right about mold though!!!! Can't believe anyone thinks that mold grows under nail enhancements anymore, it has been discussed so much ... one of the oldest MYTHS around.

Hi peeps,

Thank you for your replies and comments. I do always keep my brush flat at all times, I have a bag that it fits into quite snug and I lay it at the bottom of the bag and this bag always stays upright even in the car as it has little feet underneath. I have no idea what this problem could be caused by :|

izzidoll said:
Or another reason for yellowing could be primer......did your primer touch the old product during your rebalance, or was it still wet when you applied your product as this can also cause yellowing...

Hope you get to the bottom of the mystery....anything in the tutorials?

Hi Izzidoll,

I don't use primer very often, only on clients with really oily nail plates (hope that makes sense) or clients very prone to lifting like regular swimmers.

I have searched the tutorials as well, thanks anyway.

Cathie! said:
Pocket lifting and ageing of product, which will cause the product to go yellow and brittle can also be caused by working too wet, so it could be a ratio issue.

Sun beds can also add to yellowing and brittleness although I believe that Retention+ shouldn't be affected by UV light.

Just another idea to throw into the detective pot!

I have to agree with you Cathie, my immediate thought was pocket lifting. Rose is there no one in the salon that can look at it for you?

Sassy #1 said:
I have to agree with you Cathie, my immediate thought was pocket lifting. Rose is there no one in the salon that can look at it for you?

Hi Sass,

Denise had a look but also couldn't put her finger on it, she knows what all my clients nails look like before they leave and even she said she couldn't understand it.

Thanks anyway everyone, I suppose it's just gonna be another one of those mysteries, I have no idea as my routine does not change on any clients, I spend the same amount of time on prep and application, the only thing that I will do differently is if one clients needs more cuticle work than another.

oh well .....

It's often very difficult to help with only a description. The only comment I would add is that every bacterial infection starts a a pale yellow, then goes to green etc etc.

Are you sure the yellow is not an infection if the contamination possibility is out of the window and the colour wasn't there before?

Sounds to me like your brush needs to be kept in a brush box and not upside down in a holder which is also open to other contaminents and monomer running the wrong way. Look after your brush and it will look after you. Also try your prep again, your nail enhancements shouldn't seperate again dont forget to press and smooth product onto the nail/tip for better adhesion.

Just to throw another spanner in the works has she been using loads of bleach or cillit bang as this has been turning some of my clients a bit yellow in patches and lifting problems.

Have heard from other geeks as well this product is causing no end of problems with nails.

Latest posts

Back