Yes it's me again with another pesky question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimi1101

Reaction score
Hi. Me again. Sorry in advance...

So I have a member of staff I have made redundant. He is currently off sick (not why I made him redundant) but I said to him I would post his cheque, P45, and final payslip along with written confirmation of his contract termination on Friday which is when he would have been paid if he was still employed. He was fine with this on Monday but I've just recieved a text saying "hi kim i can't get paid by cheque as my bank is in northern ireland can you pay me in cash and i will come for it on friday"

Now I have a few problems with this.
1. Its not up to him how he gets paid surely? Cash is not convenient for me, a bank transfer or cheque is
2. He could have been more polite about it...lol I know this is a small point but...
3. If I pay him in cash what if he says I never paid him? With a cheque then I can see if he's cashed it or not
4. I don't really want him returning to the salon, will be awkward, possibly confrontational and he has the shingle and I don't want it.

Am I being petty? I just wanna give him a cheque orbank transfer...Hes only worked with me a month so last time I paid him was cash and it was a hassle.

Thank you in advance

Can't you text him back saying..."sorry, in hands of accountant now and process cannot be changed"

hi Kimberley
have to say I agree with Isabel I would say its out of your hands now.
And suggest he goes and opens a new account here.
You were good enough to pay him cash last month and if he wasnt off sick how was he expecting to get paid at the end of this month?
Most employers pay wages through bank accounts so if he is planning on looking for a new job he will need a bank account that he can access.
Or is there more to it than he is letting on???

Jen x

Last edited:
He's most likely over drawn and if he puts the cheque in he won't get any of the money it'll all go for bank charges? That could be why??

He can cash it at one of those "money shops" (for a fee though...)

Hi. Abosulutely DO NOT pay by cash. In these circumstances you MUST have a paper trail. Refuse point blank and stand your ground. He is gonna be callin you all the names anyway plus he is EX staff. Honestly this is important that you don't give in on this one.

I just do worry about him saying I never paid him in the first place, which is what could happen if I pay cash. And I don't feel that it is unreasonable that he will get a cheque. I agree, I worry there is something fishy going on...I shall just tell him that its a cheque and thats all I'm prepared to give him.

I am trying to be more sticking up for myself/sticking to my guns so here goes...

Thank you all, was just worried I was being a bit petty about this. xxx

Thank you all, was just worried I was being a bit petty about this. xxx

You are not being petty, just professional and business like.
He on the other hand sounds like a right chancer!

I am so angry!!!!!!!

"you are paying me off the least you can do is pay for the bank transfer or pay me in cash as you have done in the past. i have been a good member of staff and stress and shingles arent good for each other"

This is just because I said it may cost to transfer the money into his Irish bank account as he doesn't want to pay to get the cheque cleared. Part of me feels bad but part of me is like JUST TAKE THE BLOOMING CHEQUE!!!!

x

at the end of the day it is not your problem he doesn't have a local bank account. He could walk inot any bank with his chq and ID and open an account there and then.....as has already been said, the likelihood is that he will need an account for any wages from a future employer to be paid into.
You are paying him what is owed to him by legitimate means.....end of!
Posted via Mobile Device

golden rule - never pay staff in cash It has to be traceable for accountancy/vat purposes . You must stick to your guns on this one. X

You would have just sent him a chq before you knew about his request for cash anyway....you would have been non the wiser...so just send him the chq and thats it...what he does or doesn't do with it is his problem.

Loubilicious, if you could just call him and tell him that..thanks :lol:

I'm actually not bothered about texting him back, he will recieve his cheque in the post...

Loubilicious, if you could just call him and tell him that..thanks :lol:

No worries hun, send me his number! X
Posted via Mobile Device

My mum is coming to visit the salon on Friday and she is saying to get him to come down to pick his cash up and she'll have words with him...it could all get very messy!!!! Cheque will be in the post!!

Thank you all my geeks xxx

Make sure it is recorded delivery|!!

Spoke to the bank and they can hopefully do a transfer which will cost me £3, as long as the bank he uses allows this type of transfer. Failing that, it will cost me £20. So I have asked him for account number and sort code, and I will try the first type of transfer, and have told him failing that I will post the cheque and I explained I understand the situation but I'm not paying £20 for something which isn't my fault. I think I'm being pretty fair. But back to my previous point...JUST TAKE THE BLOOMING CHEQUE!

lol. Hopefully problem solved. Here's hoping.

xxx

PS Izzidoll...very good point. I hadn't thought of that, given that his payslip and p45 will be in with that, as well as written confirmation of termination of contract.

Just had a text back asking if I can put the cheque in his wifes name...?? Ugh I don't know what the right thing to do is now!!!!

Kimberly, you are being far too nice about all this.
Put your business head back on stop feeling bad and stick to your guns.
You dont need all this stress and hassle just tell him as its his final wage to keep things straight with the tax man it must be paid in his name.
You are already going out your way to help him by not giving him a cheque xx

JUST SAY NO..

Last edited:
Thank you. I am trying to be a no nonsense type person!!! LOL But just need a bit more practice. Will tell him its bank transfer or cheque in his name, for my accounts reason. :)

Sometimes I just need a kick up the butt....at the end of the day I'm trying to blooming pay him its not like I'm diddling anyone out of money!!xxx

He woulda had the hairdryer treatment from me by now.
Send a cheque, in his name, with the p45. His problems are not your problem. Personally I would not be negotiating on this and woulnt be taking further calls from him. But then I am a bit of a cow like that.

Latest posts

Back