You must be doing okay....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimi1101

Reaction score
I know this is a bit of a funny thread but...

Iim putting up three new mirrors in the salon, and have bought 3 new chairs. I have it all set out as the mirror man is coming to hang them tonight. I just had a client come in and say "oh you must be doing alright if you can afford to buy new furniture"...and I just don't know how to take it. The truth is, yes, the salon IS doing alright. I'm by no means a millionaire...I pay myself enough to survive on but my priority is if I had a spare £100 I'd rather spend it on the salon than on a new outfit for myself. I find myself feeling really awkward because I feel like people almost wish bad on you sometimes, like they are rude about you making money or feel like if you are making a profit, its cos you are scamming them somehow?

I know the majority of people are positive about the salon doing well, but some people just catch me off guard. I'm also getting a new car next week, trading in my Toyota Aygo for a Mini Cooper, and I feel like I have to tell people that I'm only paying an extra £10 a month in payments towards it cos they might think I'm earning loads of cash!!!!

Is this just me?

I don't know if I'm being irrational. Anyone else feel a bit like this?

Ah don't feel bad its your buisness and your entitled to have your niceties, we all generally work to have nice things and its a major bonus to love our job, perhaps she was in aw of you for doing so well.. ;)

You dont have to answer to anyone, just yourself. Enjoy.

CJ

Hi Kim!
No you are not the only one to feel like this...! I do sometimes, clients sometimes just love to pass comments that are quite cheeky it does my head in:twisted:! People think because we work for ourselves we are minted...! But that is not the case, they don't realise that its hard for us sometimes we don't get paid if a client doest show, or if we get a last minute cancellation! I get it alot when I go on holiday I get "going away again lucky you" like I have loads of time off, but I only take 4 weeks a year off like any normal person would have anyway! But it actually costs me money to take time off as I have to pay full rent when I'm off, and when I'm off I don't get paid! I think the comments come from people that are a little jealous sometimes but they should think before they speak:(. Sorry for the rant, glad its just not me who feels the same eh Kim :Dx

i totally agree. theres some kind of missconception that if you are self employed you must be raking it in. the above poster made a lot of points that hit home with me.
another instance is when i'm working double time in the salon doing all my clients so that they wont be left in the lurch whilst i'm away. ive had comments like 'wow, think how much you will earn' and i respond , yes but i wont make any money for 2 weeks whilst im away as i dont get holiday pay like you do.
its only my clients that are also self employed that see all the hidden downsides to the business.

Yep I know how this feels and I sometimes have to bite my lip very hard!!!!

I hate discounting or doing too many promotions so I don't look too desperate but in March I did and offer I posted on netmums saying I'm new to the area and rarely discount but to say 'hi' and to get the ball rolling I put I'm doing 50% off makeup lessons (normally £50.) I got a response straight away saying 'wow £50 for an hour, I'm in the wrong job' and I thought about it then replyed really tactfully saying 'yes £50 per hour but I'm directly trained by somebody that charges hundreds! so check my website and if you like what you see then give me a call!' Then I got 4 lessons and sold some makeup :)

Oh and then there was the Dermalogica sample lady who came in and said 'oh please can I have some samples of your cleanser?' I asked which one she wanted to try then she listed every cleanser by the brand! I gave her 1 and a microfoliant, when she came back I face mapped her, told her the prices and said samples are only for potential customers...wanting to scream- this dermalogica account cost thousands, it's not a hobby- I'm lucky to do what I love everyday but naff off lady!

I've just got a new car after driving around 2 bangers for the past 8 years. everytime some one comments I immediately state that its the basic model and I got it in the scrappage deal.

why oh why do I feel the need to that?

if anyone comments on my prices I say yes sure and reeling off rent, insurance, professional organisations, travel, advertising then check to see if they get the message and if they dont I then go on to clients not turning up, holiday and sick leave. funnily enough, they NEVER mention it again.

I got over it. I have had so many snide comments over the years that it is water off a ducks back now.
People only see the shiny bits, not the risk, hard graft, and sacrifice.

Who really cares what dopey beggars think anyway.

Enjoy your new car Kim x

i totally know what you mean on this one !!.. Dawn Needs!! a new car the old one is a nice BMW but its 7 years old it was a low milage 4 year old when we bought it Dawn has put 156,000 miles on the clock as she is up and down the country most days peddling our whares !!
we dont/wont lease because we are not a limited company we are a partnership and its a tax thing !!
But if we spent our very hard earned money( i was in at 5.30 am this morning and its now 23.00 I am still here ) on a new exec motor for Mrs Nouvatan would we be seen as Big shots flaunting our success,And would our customers think that they are paying for the flash car ect .. we live very modestly .. and . I drive a 20 year old muddy 4x4 as nobody sees me lol !! there seems to be a very fine line between being successful and liked, and being Flash and despised in Britain

I don't give a toss. Merc sport for me!!!!

I refuse to justify how I spend my money.

You make me pi** my self i have no idea what your like but i always imagine joanna lumley in ab fab !! :D:D

The difference is for most people- work finishes at 5.30pm

For most self-employed people it never ends- its always at the back of your mind- when you're self employed, theres no delegation or passing the buck.

If we don't earn we don't earn- theres no-one to take up the slack.

well my wonderful grandad bought me a brand new car trading in my old banger as he did'nt think it was safe for me to drive and folk seem to think i'm loaded when actually struggling business wise but get by and live by my means!
I would'nt let it get to you kimi glad you are doing well and think its great you would buy new furniture for your place than spend it on your self xx
pmsl at steves comment sweetie darling! lol xx

Yes, I have been compared.
New it !! you are without doubt ......... unique!! ..... and one of my favourite geeks,
just like a cat sleek,stylish,warm, independant, with razor sharp claws !!

Mirror mirror on the wall ...who is the fairest of em all....oh thats you:eek:...well done for spending and re investing into your buisness.

oh and as far as spending on any outfits are concerned
1) buy a new hat
2) get your teeth whitened as there looking a bit...well....not so white

Apart from that...be lucky things are looking good for you...oh and if I happen to be joggin in the area and need to stop by for a pee...will you let me use your facilities and take a picture of me after...like you did for someone else recently :eek::lol::lol::hug:

Hi all

I know exactly what you mean, my last client left at half nine and I have just finished tidying up, scrubbing floors, sink etc ready for tomorrow.

I drive a poxy w reg puma and think the same as you, if a nice shiny new car was sitting on my drive next week, would my clients resent it?

BUT...........I love my job :D

Good luck to you all, persianista.....perhaps I can be your edie????

I did once have a client raise eyebrows when I bought my current merc. I just laughed and told her 'kin lot of your £20 weekly blowdries to buy one of those!

I have other business interests so don't tend to get too much flak.

Patsy ab fab is more a state of mind than anything else.You just have to believe that you can do it, and are entitled to the best. Then it arrives.

Never apologise, never explain. Never justify a mercedes slk to a client, it's none of their business.

As you say you have worked incredibly hard to get where you are, and good on you. They all think they can do our jobs and earn "easy" money !

Why should you have to justify yourself to anyone !! We don't ask them how much they earn !

Good on you Kimi that you are doing Ok, and why shouldn't you be - I'm sure you work blooming hard for it.

Did the client making the remark realise that you were actually 'enhancing' her experience in the salon for providing shiney new mirrors & furniture for her benefit??? No they don't see it like that do they?

My hubby may be about to get (fingers crossed) a promotion which will almost double his salary (I cannot tell you how hard my fingers are being crossed!!!), if it comes off, he will have to buy a new car & he's got his eye on a merc sports car. But he will use my Ford Focus for travelling the 80 miles to work everyday & I we'll have the merc in the drive - I'm sure I will be getting lots of remarks - fingers crossed it happens first though.

I totally know where you're coming from.
My salon is in a seperate building but in my garden and I regularly have peple asking if they can have a look around my house! Whats that all about?!

Also I live down a single track lane which without a 4x4 you've got no chance of driving down in the winter. Because of that I get comments all the time about how much money I must have to waste on fuel!

I think alot of the time people think we actually just pocket the entire amount of their treatment and go and pick the wax strips off the nearest tree!
I would though be very rich if I had a pound for every time someone says to me how lucky I am to do what I do. Oh yeah, I love working everyweek night 'til god knows what time and pretending peoples feet dont smell!!
xx

Latest posts

Back