Young mums help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ker3003

Reaction score
I've been asked by my local social work department to help with a group of young mums(some as young as 14!). The lady who organises the group is looking for new things to do with the girls and asked if I would come along to talk about beauty/make up etc.
I'm looking for some advice on ideas of what I could do? Any companies I could contact for info about products/skincare etc? Or maybe even some freebies for the girls.
Any advice would be great :) xxx

Try to find out what aspect of beauty etc they want you to talk about. Is it about which products to use and what suits who or is it about you and your business? How you got into it, what working for yourself is like, how hard it is, what you enjoy, how rewarding etc.

Until you know what you're talking about you're working in the dark really.

When I did a talk for a youth group (ages 10-15) I Talked about skin care and my business, gave them a demo on how to give a facial which they then practiced on each other and gave them all a file and clear polish.I also gave them a quick talk about different foundations and how to match your skin colour correctly.
I put on all their chairs my business card and a basic step by step facial guide.

I agree with Tracey it would be more helpful to find out the objective of the event.

An idea I have though would be offering a lesson on how to still look good whilst being a busy mum. I would then focus on convenience and express pampering such as fitting in a basic skincare regime, Key make-up products (at a good price) which will enhance their features in no time. Write a list on what advice, help or information young mums may need.

Can you do something on baby massage? you don't need to concentrate on the mum alone, it's all about encouraging mum and baby interaction too, it's a big step for them to be young, free and single to all of a sudden having a dependant. x

Hi! I posted this thread a while ago. The group wasn't running for a while but it's back on now.
I'm still looking for ideas, I'm having a total mind blank right now??
I'd really like to make up a little goody bag for the girls, there's only a few of them. Is there any companies you know of that would help out? X

Hi! I posted this thread a while ago. The group wasn't running for a while but it's back on now.
I'm still looking for ideas, I'm having a total mind blank right now??
I'd really like to make up a little goody bag for the girls, there's only a few of them. Is there any companies you know of that would help out? X

if i were you i would just be cheeky and ask everyone!

phone up the like of john lewis / boots etc who have clarins/lancome/clinque counters and explain what you are doing im sure that some will be more than happy to help by giving some samples - email all the big compaines and ask!!

imo -if you dont ask you dont get!! lol!!

regarding ideas - how about basic skin and make up routine, 'tanning class' how to exfloiate mositurise apply tan correctly, how to pick the right make up,

you could write a list of all the types of work a single mum could get involved with, then separate each one and list all the pros and cons and how to get involved etc, explaining how you can do this without the worry of childcare and how much time you can put into building what could be a good little business in the future and how to keep on track to make it so, you could start your talk with a little bit about yourself and how you got involved in your business, i dont think id worry too much about chasing samples (that could take up alot of time) but you could do a little demo at the end which could involve them, you could maybe use flocharts to make a breakdown of each category and to keep their attention, give them notepad and pen so they can take notes and you could fill them in on any start up costs and government grants they can access to start them up, how much time did they allocate you, lol

Show them quick fixers to look good because i know as a young mum its hard to get ready and feel good about yourself xx

Sent from my X10i

Latest posts

Back