Your beauty industry 'loves & hates'

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PinkSwoon

Reaction score
Evening everyone!

So being the nosey person I am I want to know your loves & hates of the beauty industry! Anything from therapist gripes to industry stereotypes.

The idea of this thread came to me after flicking through some pictures of HD brows on Facebook done in a local salon & they just looked awful, the client had lovely, thick brows to start with, they only needed a shape and tidy up but the therapist had just slapped a whole load of tint on which was too dark & it looked awful! The girl was a flame haired & had fair skin, the tint was bordering on black!

So here are mine!

Loves: How the industry is continuously developing new, highly technological products! So many opportunities to broaden your horizons & not get stuck in a rut with the same techniques, products & treatments day in day out.

Hates: TINT ON BROWS WHEN IT'S NOT NEEDED! (Ha, ha)

Your turn :) x

Disclaimer: All of the above post is my OPINION. There is no beauty rulebook & we all have preferences! It is not meant to be offensive in any way, shape or form.

Loves:
How we always have a new canvas every day to work with, the feeling that you have made someone happy and given them confidence and like you said there is always something new to try out.
Hates:
The pre conceived idea that we are thick and only do our jobs because its the only thing we can do, when people expect miracles like thick full light blonde hair when they have 3 hairs coloured with 500 home black box colours to their name.

One personal gripe is I ask for extra dark tans constantly and tell the tanner to think body builder colour, and I walk out a natural bronzed colour :( xoxo

Love: the massive selection of treatments and products, training to be competent in everything you're actually interested in, leaving someone happy and looking great, the variety and variation. Best move I ever made!

Hate: I hate the fact that beauty is not more governed to save clients having to deal with "therapists" that aren't properly qualified and insured.

I'll add a disclaimer on mine as well!! As mentioned earlier, this is only my opinion!! Xx

Got to agree with Tomme on the "oh you're too intelligent to be doing beauty" it's a lot of hard work and remembering what I learnt at college... I could almost be a doctor with the amount I had to learn about blood, muscles and bones :p xx

Tomme- If anyone came to my old salon (not mine, just where I worked) if they wanted to be extra dark we just charged £5 on top, so my tip- ask for the darkest tanning solution the have, and once you are bronzed ask if you can pay a little extra to be even darker... Assure them you want the darkest possible tan. I have no problem doing my tans dark! Xx

Hates:
when people expect miracles like thick full light blonde hair when they have 3 hairs coloured with 500 home black box colours to their name.

Oh my god hahahahah! Crying with laughter, I so agree with the intelligence comment too! x

love: taking inspiration from other pros, whether its a nail design to a creative up do. I genuinally love to compliement great work, i makes me feel inspired everyday, not just perfection but "feeling" somones works and wanting to to make it individual, unique to me.

Hates: hmm clueless diyers who think they know what they are on about! ie box dye tramp thinking shes got colour knowledge. Or someone for "fun" decided to buy extensions/lamp/pro products on the internet then thinking they know how to do everything! xoxo

Tomme- If anyone came to my old salon (not mine, just where I worked) if they wanted to be extra dark we just charged £5 on top, so my tip- ask for the darkest tanning solution the have, and once you are bronzed ask if you can pay a little extra to be even darker... Assure them you want the darkest possible tan. I have no problem doing my tans dark! Xx

I'm currently on scienna x 10% with 1 ml per 100 of sunless solutions darkening drops. I'm thinking of getting some in 16% or higher if they do it. Can you tell I'm not a therapist or tanner lol xoxo

Hates:
The pre conceived idea that we are thick and only do our jobs because its the only thing we can do, when people expect miracles like thick full light blonde hair when they have 3 hairs coloured with 500 home black box colours to their name.

Hahaha! SO true!! I hate that.

And I hate:
' but Jordan is black one week and blonde the next!' Argh!!!!!

I love:
When a customer says 'do what you think' :)

Hahaha! SO true!! I hate that.

And I hate:
' but Jordan is black one week and blonde the next!' Argh!!!!!

I love:
When a customer says 'do what you think' :)

Lol id love to reply to that with "well Jordan was an a cup one week and a triple z the next, do you want that too?" Xoxo

Lol id love to reply to that with "well Jordan was an a cup one week and a triple z the next, do you want that too?" Xoxo

Ill try that one ;-)

Loves: Just love the beauty industry full stop! The amount of amazing treatments to train in and products to use is amazing. Also love when clients fall asleep in a facial or a massage - so cute!!

Hates: Pressure to look perfect all the time but feeling like I have to as a beauty therapist!

Love: The enthusiasm so prevalent - and necessary- in the industry.

Hate: The use of the word "scrub" for exfoliator. Does anyone REALLY want their skin to be scrubbed?

Love: making clients feel happy and relaxed; having such a relaxing job!

Hate: pervy men who think I offer a different kind of massage :rolleyes:

Love: learning new things as our industry evolves.
Going on new courses and leaving feeling mega motivated.
My regular clients, the social side of the job and being paid to do what I love and having a good old matter with clients.
Getting tips 😉
Being able to get treatments when quiet....(see hates)
Love doing facials, transforming feet via a good pedi, full leg wax, the smell of wax pots. The salon smell in the morning (aromatherapy,wax,candles etc)
Actually just love my job :)

Hates:
Being called a beautician
checking with a client a million times that they like their nail colour only for them to change their minds after the service.
Clients bringing kids for brazillian wax
Never getting a chance to get a full treatment as can garentee a walk in will arrive (but love actually doing the client)
That I can't go to a salon and relax as its not how I would do it lol

Oh and another hate is when I'm off duty my friends/family will always say" can u just quickly pluck my eyebrow" " could u just paint my nails" arrrgh x

Oh and another hate is when I'm off duty my friends/family will always say" can u just quickly pluck my eyebrow" " could u just paint my nails" arrrgh x

I get that 'Can you quickly trim my kids hair, just quickly'
people must think if you say quickly before something it wont take u as long!?

Love: that everyday is a new experiance and you learn something new everyday
Hate: that anyone and everyone cam get a hold of products from the internet and watches a video on youtube and all of a sudden makes them think they know what they are doing

Is it sad that i enjoy seeing what everyone hates rather than what everyone loves? I love my job and wouldnt change it for the world but still love a good moan lol!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I get that 'Can you quickly trim my kids hair, just quickly'
people must think if you say quickly before something it wont take u as long!?

A quick job is a bad job I think.
And I hate how people just walk in off the street for a fringe trim thinking they are free to just anyone xoxo

Is it sad that i enjoy seeing what everyone hates rather than what everyone loves? I love my job and wouldnt change it for the world but still love a good moan lol!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

NO! This was very nearly a 'What do you hate' thread but I thought I better balance it out a bit :p haha nobody likes negativity x

Latest posts

Back