Your opinion and help, pretty please :)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kateskuts

Reaction score
heyy,

Ive completed level 1, got halfway through level 2 but had to quit due to work!! :( now i really want to get back into what i love doing!! ive booked myslef onto a hair up course, and want to do other courses aswell this year if i can find any, just to gain experience as im not 100% confident yet!!

Do you think going mobile is a good idea, just doing cuts, hair up's and conditioning treatments to start, cause i dont wanna be doing colouring until i'm confident in doing that! lol obvs i wouldnt be charging alot as i'm still gaining experience and training! :/

what do you guys think about fast track courses, i found one up london way, its 5 days, i kinda didnt like the idea of them, how can you learn how to be a hairdresser in 5 days, but cause ive done half my level 2, thought it wouldnt be a bad idea, as i have a lot of knowledge and skills already sooo... ohh i dunno!!

thanks for reading my essay, lol

xx much love kate

I'd say go to a salon and voulenteer a bit. They will show you a few things, get u back into the swing of it all and then u can go back to college and do te rest of level 2, the majority of my clients are colours, and it wouldn't really work out well unless you were in a Toni and guy style salon to only do cuts or only colours etc...
Sorry if it's not what you wanted, but to get the work in to make some money and afford to do courses then you will need to be an all rounder, ie, colour cut blowdry perms, sets and hair up.
It's just not practical to say most want a cut and blowdry. But if you can get a hood dryer and are good at setting then try old peoples homes and elderly accommodation areas like te flats and bungalow areas xoxo

Hi Kate
Well done for completing level 1! I'm not 100% sure but when I did my levels 1,2&3 you wasn't actually a qualified hairdresser until you'd completed level 2. If this is still the case then I'd advise you go back to college and finish the rest of level 2, it shouldn't take you that long as you've already done half of it! The reason I say this is if you went mobile you would have to be fully qualified in order to be insured, hope this helps :)

heyy,

Ive completed level 1, got halfway through level 2 but had to quit due to work!! :( now i really want to get back into what i love doing!! ive booked myslef onto a hair up course, and want to do other courses aswell this year if i can find any, just to gain experience as im not 100% confident yet!!

Do you think going mobile is a good idea, just doing cuts, hair up's and conditioning treatments to start, cause i dont wanna be doing colouring until i'm confident in doing that! lol obvs i wouldnt be charging alot as i'm still gaining experience and training! :/

what do you guys think about fast track courses, i found one up london way, its 5 days, i kinda didnt like the idea of them, how can you learn how to be a hairdresser in 5 days, but cause ive done half my level 2, thought it wouldnt be a bad idea, as i have a lot of knowledge and skills already sooo... ohh i dunno!!

thanks for reading my essay, lol

xx much love kate

First thing with mobile, I wouldn’t do it, as your still training and you would have to inform your clients this in case anything goes wrong, and most clients I think don’t really want a trainee cutting their hair without supervision. Now this isn’t my opinion is just what I’ve seen before, I believe that if you can cut hair, then you can cut hair, simples.
Also I don’t know how you would get PLI when your still training. :)

I think you will have to re-enrol at a college and do your level 2 again, and if you have already done half of it, then you will finish quickly. You won’t be able to transfer the work from last year onto this year’s books because every year the standards are changed, but it shouldn’t take you long to complete.

I would defo go on the courses as these will help you understand the art of hair up more, and also go on colour courses for beginners, I know Wella do them and also L’Oreal, there great for all types of stylist's.

Also maybe you could buy the new NVQ Level 2 book, it’s by Keryl Titmus http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hairdressing-Level-NVQ-Diploma-Textbook/dp/0851931960.

I went to wella studio in London while training for a colour and cutting seminar, to be fair I wouldn't do it again, to begin with the hall we were in was freezing, that's what any1 noticed more than the display, 2nd there was too many people for the small room they put u in first (some had to stay on the stairs as they couldn't fit) and 3rd, there wasn't as much on explaining as demonstrating the methods they used and what they used a I would like, te majority was all showing the finished look. So miss wella is my opinion, also they have got too complacent with their colour system and dont give a true to likeness finish as they used to.

Matrix, schwartscoph, loreal all do good colour seminars, there will also be a lot at pro hair in Manchester next month you may want to go to xoxo

heyy, thanks for all your replies, ive been looking around at courses, not a lot local to me! :( i've sent out a letter and tried to get a voulantry position in a salon, no one seems to want to no! :'( why wont salons take someone on that they dont have to pay, its beyond me!!

Think i'm gonna do smaller hair courses till now and september and then go back to college and do level 2 that way, but it just seems such a long way away, but hopefully i'll be qualified this sorta time next year! just soo expensive aint it, like every course is a couple hundred pounds!! and when you see so many people out of work after they finish level 2, its a bit scary, but hopefully if i do lots of extra course and be the best i can be, and do every qualification i can, i will have lots of work in 18 months time :)

It's so exciting, i absoultly love hair, its great to see all these amazing styles and colours and to think i'll be able to do that soon!! :)

thanks again!! :D xx

As a salon owner I am sure when I looked into it someone can not actually work for you for free. They can turn round and put in a claim against you for wages. There might also be an issue with health and safety ! Total un fair :-(

Latest posts

Back