13 stylists in one salon, no greeter/receptionist

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeHairAware

Reaction score
I have been working at a salon for over 3 years. It is filled with independent contractors as Hairdressers. We are super busy and located Downtown on one of the main strips.

We have never had a receptionist. I have figured out how to best suit my business with this make up. I have built my business online and 100% of my clients book online or directly with me at their appointment. So I don’t really need a receptionist. Other Stylists in the salon have not been as business savvy and rely on the phone ins, walk ins etc. Although that is not my concern.
My concern is for all the clients, including mine, who walk through the door to make an appointment, come in for an appointment or buy product. They have no greeter and when we are all busy, it can be challenging to even notice that someone has entered the salon.
Now that I have explained the salon atmosphere, I want to know if anyone else works in this type of atmosphere? Where people walk in the front door and are unsure what kind of business we run.

If so, what have been solutions that have helped your clients understand that we are independent from each other and their is no reception? Also, if you have a receptionist in the salon filled with
Independent contractors, who pays the receptionist?

That sounds quite chaotic.
The combined rent should cover the receptionist salary.
Presumably, there’s no manager to oversee the salon either? Usually, you’d have the salon owner working in the business either as a fellow hairdresser or reception/manager.
If you had a meeting and agreed to fund a receptionist, you’d also have to agree how to manage their workload because it wouldn’t be very productive working for several bosses at once and someone would doubtless complain that the receptionist was favouring X with the appointment

Latest posts

Back