21 and can't get a hairdressing apprenticeship

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmee

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been trying to look for Hairdressing Apprenticeships in the Yorkshire area, there usually with Oracle Training and i asked one if the consultants if i had a good chance of getting an apprenticeship and they said I'd find it difficult but possible and whether it was worth going in for an interview or not. I've tried contacting loads of salons and they don't have anything or are looking for 16-18 year olds. Has anyone managed to get an apprenticeship in Hairdressing at my age?

Yes, its actually not as hard as you think! I think it depends on the area, London especially they are desperate for apprentices as they always seem to leave. In most salons in London, my friends have applied for who are 20-27, they have all been accepted. Most probably wont when they are private salons due to them having to pay the fee of training you which is a big risk. But chains always accept older apprentices.

I've just taken on an apprentice who is 25. Just email all the salons in your area telling them you want to be an apprentice. The training fee is not a great amount of money, I would much rather pay it and have someone who is serious about the job than not pay it and get someone who doesn't have the right attitude.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies, it's good to know some older candidates are still being taken on as apprentices and hope everything is still going well with your apprentice jamie. Thought I'd update, I've contacted pretty much every single salon in my area and still not had any luck with trying to get a placement. Honestly think it's just a no goer and clearly not going to happen :(

Latest posts

Back