A client who is allergic to hair dye, help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanhead

Reaction score
Hi everyone, one of my clients phoned me today in a panic, she has just been told she is allergic to p-phenylenediamine, one of the main ingredients in hair dye. Just wondered if anyone has heard of, or can recommend an alternative?? Thanks x x

Off scalp colours forevermore!

yes no more on scalp colours. always skin test
and just high light it be very careful and some times that isn't enough.
just cover yourself if you decide to do a colour treatment with her

Personally... Be nice but tell her there is nothing you can do.
I did see a ppd free colour in a style magazine, but its in boots so doubt you would want to offer that.
Bleach will be fine.
always test with a 1.0 just because there is more ppd and someone's immune system may be able to cope with small amounts (as in a drop of 8.0) but not with how much will be on the scalp with a full head of 8.0.
Hope you understand my rambling xoxo

Im sure tigi do a colour which is ppd free "/ im not 100% but its worth looking into xx

I think swarzfkopf haze a special line 4 dis

Be very careful. Even if you decide to go for off the scalp application such as foils remember that when you go to wash it off it will still be touching the scalp and will still have a reaction. :/

I too have a ppd allergy but after careful skin tests ive discovered i am fine with colours of a level 8 and upwards,Although if you were ever to consider skin tests on this client and they proved ok ,it would still be at her risk with a disclaimer.
Your best option is off scalp treatment. ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Just to add ,i agree if you do go for foils etc then still go careful as the hair still lays on the skin.

I wouldn't touch her with tint

And even if u bleach you still need to tone, I would avoid sorry,

What does she normally have done colour wise?

I too have a ppd allergy but after careful skin tests ive discovered i am fine with colours of a level 8 and upwards,Although if you were ever to consider skin tests on this client and they proved ok ,it would still be at her risk with a disclaimer.
Your best option is off scalp treatment. ;-)

Disclaimers are worthless.

I wouldn't touch her with tint

And even if u bleach you still need to tone, I would avoid sorry,

What does she normally have done colour wise?

Couldnt you tone with colour touch if need be x

Still contains ppd

Sent from my LT15i using SalonGeek

Couldnt you tone with colour touch if need be x

No I wouldn't!

I'd rather be honest with her and advise her professionally she will respect you so much more as a stylist I'd rather loose a colour client than your reputation if it went nastily wrong,

She will also speak very highly of you for not doing it so prob gain new clients,

bad news! she normally has 5/0 mixed with 5/4 for warmth. She is 90per cent grey and it's so resistant!! Anything lighter than 5 sits transparent!!

thanks everyone for your advice... my client won't be happy but you're right it's just not worth the risk. :eek:

Latest posts

Back