A good plan?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cupcake34

Reaction score
Hey fellow geeks,
Just a post to ask if anyone thinks this is a good path to follow...

I've been working at a hotel spa for over a year now I enjoy what I do but not where I am, I'm on minimum wage and practically run the business as my boss is always 'too ill' to work and leaves everything on my shoulders.
I am not signed to a contract but my other colleague is til April when the rent runs up for the rooms at the hotel and I personally don't think she will renew the contract.
So I work full time but many evenings a week I do mobile clients to build my clientele, I am also doing a retreat in sep and hopefully another in jan where I'll be paid for those. All this money I am saving minus expenses for products etc.
Basically my goal is to work for myself I want my own room I want to run my own business but was wondering how is the best way...
I am thinking build up my mobile clients up and hopefully one day afford to go part time then when next year comes be able to hopefully rent a room somewhere. At the moment yes I am young being 20, but I live at home with no living expenses minus my car to be paid so if I want to try anything, I want it to be soon as I know I will still have support from my family if all goes down the drain and not to plan. My dad mentioned about if the opportunity arises for me to take the contact on for the rooms where I am to not hesitate as will have full support and help from them but I'm not sure if it will as think hotel may take it back due to how busy we are and how much they would make.

But what do you all think, it's my dream to work for myself and have my own place. I even know my business name, colour scheme, how my rooms will look. Call me a dreamer if you like but you need to dream to achieve something surely :)?

Of course you should dream! And never loose sight of what your dreams are even when the going gets tough! It's a bit of an emotional rollercoaster owning a new business but it gets better, my best advice is get as much mobile clients as you possibly can, I had a decent mobile round before I opened my shop which has definatly given me a good start, just be aware that the money you would make from the mobile clients who will then hopefully follow you to your new place of business won't be all yours to keep anymore it'll be paying your rent etc so you'll needs whole bunch of new clients to actually pay yourself, no money & hiring staff are the hardest parts and you need to keep the passion for your job going everyday it can be tough but it's well worth it when you look back and think omg I actually did it! :D xx

Thankyou for replying, your absolutely right! I just felt a bit disheartened as I'd explained my plans to some friends most were all supportive about the idea but was a couple who turned around and laughed asking well where will you get the money I don't see you with a premises at the moment, that won't happen etc. But that's the negativity I don't need, it is possible it'll be hard work I know but everyone has to start somewhere, I just like to think of a few influential people not necessarily people in industry but they've all come from somewhere and it certainly wasn't given on a plate.

But yes I keep thinking if I keep working my butt off it will all work out eventually some way or another... I hope!

Thankyou for replying, your absolutely right! I just felt a bit disheartened as I'd explained my plans to some friends most were all supportive about the idea but was a couple who turned around and laughed asking well where will you get the money I don't see you with a premises at the moment, that won't happen etc. But that's the negativity I don't need, it is possible it'll be hard work I know but everyone has to start somewhere, I just like to think of a few influential people not necessarily people in industry but they've all come from somewhere and it certainly wasn't given on a plate.

But yes I keep thinking if I keep working my butt off it will all work out eventually some way or another... I hope!

Rule 1 in any aspect of life..... Get rid of negative people! They'll just drag you down, it's hard when their close such as friends or family, my mum diddnt really say anything whatsoever good or bad when I was starting up but now she's the proudest mum in the world! I had a few friends who were lol "naysayers" as I like to call them, their now the kind of friends u only speak to on Facebook etc, if u want it bad enough you will do it! I'm proof lol! I diddnt have any financial help tho so u really are super lucky and I think your saving ethics are excellent for such a young person, I had all the plans just like u of how everything would look n colours etc, none of it went to plan lol and my shop dosent look like I want it to yet, but, the clients are coming and the bills are paid, when I make a bit of profit now I'll invest in the decoration a bit more, it doesn't need to be mega expensive to set up (it's still quite a lot mind but doesn't need to b tens of thousands like some spend!) maybe you could contact the princes trust and run your idea past them, they can give you a mentor I'm with them and I think the way they encourage you to follow your dreams is amazing! They've got the answers to all the questions and are always available on the phone, they'll help u to put together a business plan too I really can't recommend them enough, they'd love someone like you with drive & passion! Good luck! Xx

Rule 1 in any aspect of life..... Get rid of negative people! They'll just drag you down, it's hard when their close such as friends or family, my mum diddnt really say anything whatsoever good or bad when I was starting up but now she's the proudest mum in the world! I had a few friends who were lol "naysayers" as I like to call them, their now the kind of friends u only speak to on Facebook etc, if u want it bad enough you will do it! I'm proof lol! I diddnt have any financial help tho so u really are super lucky and I think your saving ethics are excellent for such a young person, I had all the plans just like u of how everything would look n colours etc, none of it went to plan lol and my shop dosent look like I want it to yet, but, the clients are coming and the bills are paid, when I make a bit of profit now I'll invest in the decoration a bit more, it doesn't need to be mega expensive to set up (it's still quite a lot mind but doesn't need to b tens of thousands like some spend!) maybe you could contact the princes trust and run your idea past them, they can give you a mentor I'm with them and I think the way they encourage you to follow your dreams is amazing! They've got the answers to all the questions and are always available on the phone, they'll help u to put together a business plan too I really can't recommend them enough, they'd love someone like you with drive & passion! Good luck! Xx

Your right negativity won't get me anywhere so better to cut It out sooner than later :) and ah I just want my own place but I think that contacted them would be a good idea as I know exactly what I want but need a bit of guidance and help just knowing how to get there!

One day it's going to happen :)

Latest posts

Back