Achieving highlights using extensions?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lbrownx

Reaction score
Hi all

I have a lady with a base of #4 wanting to have highlights of colour #10. Can somebody advise how I would go about doing this and I am ordering 220 strands so how many #10 would I need? Thanks xx

Which method? I would personally go 75% of her colour now and 25% of the high light colour. Split the colour you will be using for the highlight effect into probably quarters and apply it in tiny chunks you could add this into your bonds or retip and add it into your micro rings. This way the highlights won't be massive and look odd. Are you adding length at all? Xx

Hi locks of love

I am doing hot fusion so shall I just cut the bond in half and add it to her natural coloured extension? She hasno highlights in her natural hair but I should still be able to achieve the look shouldn't I? And yes will be adding length xx

Hi locks of love

I am doing hot fusion so shall I just cut the bond in half and add it to her natural coloured extension? She hasno highlights in her natural hair but I should still be able to achieve the look shouldn't I? And yes will be adding length xx

Yes do that, depending what weight of strands I'd say maybe quarters rather then halves as high lights are tiny and (in my opinion) half or full bonds will end up in chunky streaks xx

Yes do that, depending what weight of strands I'd say maybe quarters rather then halves as high lights are tiny and (in my opinion) half or full bonds will end up in chunky streaks xx

How would you go about it with micros???

Thanks locks of love, should I have a system? For example add a quarter of #10 to each #4 I put in in or every other one? Hope that makes sense? If I'm buying 200 strands in packs of 20 how many #10 would you suggest? Thanks for your help x

How would you go about it with micros???

If you can't buy a pre mixed colour probably split and retip. Otherwise the high lights will be too thick.

Probably 2 packs? And do one miss one is probably best xx

Sorry to join but I would also like to know this as I am new to extensions. In my course we were advised to do a row of one colour then a row of another. I was quite surprised by this so guessing I was right to question it??

Sorry to join but I would also like to know this as I am new to extensions. In my course we were advised to do a row of one colour then a row of another. I was quite surprised by this so guessing I was right to question it??

Yes I would also question it, in my opinion compared to colour highlights the extensions are too thick in comparison. For natural looking I use fractions of a strand. For example my client on Wednesday has quite multi tonal hair so I've matched it up to 3 colours, but the colours are all similar - so I will be splitting all strands and mixing in together as if I used whole strands it will be too chunky if that makes sense? Xx

Absolutely, I'm actually now really unsure how good my course was! Would you cut the bonds in half and use half and half?xx

Thanks locks of love your advice is really appreciated!! Il do that then And post a pick when I have done xx

Thanks locks of love your advice is really appreciated!! Il do that then And post a pick when I have done xx

Your welcome :) looking forward to pictures! :D best of luck xx

Absolutely, I'm actually now really unsure how good my course was! Would you cut the bonds in half and use half and half?xx

Who did you train with? Yes cut the bonds to appropriate sizes for bonds I just mix and bond. For stick tip I would retip all together. So depending on what your achieving maybe a quarter of a bond etc. on my fitting I'm cutting them all into thirds and mixing the 3 colours. As the above is making highlights with extensions and the colours are not similar I would go with quarters to give a really nice finish without awful chunky streaks running through the hair. Small is good! Leaves a really nice finish, similar to what you would get if the hair was highlighted using colour rather then extensions xx

Latest posts

Back