Advice on making it in the industry

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pahair

Reaction score
Hey, so this is my first post on this forum and I'm really just look for some advice and outsiders opinion on my current situation.

So I've been hairdressing for just over 5 years, I've dabbled in both salon work and mobile and I've hit a point in my career where I'm unsure whether to carry on hairdressing or have one last go at it.

unfortunately since day 1 I've had a large handful of bad experiences working in this industry, I've been bullied out of salons, forced to leave salons which have closed, or left salons because of the lack of work or professionalism from the salon owners. I decided 2 years ago because of the frequent negative outcomes, to become mobile and take on my own independent business. I found becoming mobile was alot more rewarding, I was earning more and fully responsible for myself and my work, but the downside being that i wasn't learning and developing new skills, my appointments were too scattered and as i work an additional retail weekend job, I was also working evenings to suit my clients it was and still is taking up pretty much all of my time, not allowing me to have any free time to live in between.

I am now working part mobile and do the occasional work in a little quiet salon to bring in the extra money. Along with my additional weekend retail job, I'm still not earning enough or building enough to make a living, and I'm finding it all incredibly hard to keep my head afloat and its exhausting. Ive ben questioning whether or not its worth carrying on because i feel like I've exhausted all of my options and as i suffer from anxiety, its damaging to keep chasing after a career which keeps knocking me down.

I've been told that my colouring work especially s very good, and I'm very passionate and driven in the work itself and i just want to get to the point of working, feeling happy and earning a decent income within the industry. Im thinking about registering for the Goldwell training program to become a master colourist this year, but as I'm at this cross road I'm torn between giving it all up and focusing my efforts on a new career, or giving hairdressing one last go.

I would like to hear if anyone has any similar experiences, or if anyone can offer me any thoughts or words of advice.

Thanks, P.

Latest posts

Back