Allergy to Linalool

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm a Spa Therapist however I have suffered with contact dermatitis for a while now. Last week I had my allergy patch testing and the result is that I'm allergic to linalool, that combined with eczema prone skin & a weak barrier in my skin is what's causing my dermatitis. Obviously because of the job that I do I'm always in and our of oils, water & many other products it all contributes to the problem I have with my skin. The dermatologist has advised me to try and get away from doing treatments to avoid always running into problems with my skin.

After doing some research Linalool naturally occurs in things and seems to be in an awful lot of products. Due to this allergy it means that I can no longer do my job, as the Spa that I work at use Elemis & nearly all of their products contain linalool (no exaggeration!).

I'm just looking for a bit of advice really, has anybody else been in my position? What job could I move on to? I'd love to stay in the Spa industry however reception work bores me a little and I don't have enough experience to work in management as I'm only 18 & have been working in the industry for just over a year.

Thank you in advance for any advice that you have to offer.
Sarah x

If you are considering a career change, why not just a location change, looking for a spa/salon which uses a range with no linalool? There are ranges out there which are not aromatherapy or botanical based and salons which use them.

Latest posts

Back