Gel nail allergy???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have been using Opallac products on and off for a year now, and have suddenly become allergic (I think..)

Best Selling Opallac At-Home Gel Polish Kit

Whenever I do my nails with their product, within a few hours my fingertips and skin around my nails is EXTREMELY itchy and sore. So much so that it wakes me in the middle of the night. I have to soak my fingertips in ice cold water for some relief. This is only a new thing for me and didn't happen as soon as I started the Opallac process, so I'm assuming I've just developed the allergy.

Their website says "All our gels are 10-Free! This means you won’t find: Formaldehyde, Toluene, Dibutyl Phthalate (DBP), Camphor, Formaldehyde resin, Xylene, Parabens, Ethyl Tosylamide, Acetone & Animal ingredients."

Does anyone have any tips on what the heck I can do now?

I spoke to one lady who said I can't even get SNS done now either- is that true?

I wondered if it would help if I put a layer of regular clear polish on first, then use the Opallac process over the top of it? But google says it might give me a nail fungus infection..

If I can't use the Opallac products anymore, I don't mind.. I just need to know what the heck I can put on my nails!!

Thank-you so much!!

Once you have been sensitized to gel it’s almost 100% that you won’t be using it again in the near future. Or maybe forever.…

If you are not a professional, you won’t receive replies, so please tell us if you are.

> "All our gels are 10-Free! This means you won’t find: Formaldehyde, Toluene, Dibutyl Phthalate (DBP), Camphor, Formaldehyde resin, Xylene, Parabens, Ethyl Tosylamide, Acetone & Animal ingredients."

This statement is misleading. It can apply to nail polish, but none of these ingredients are ever used in gel polish.

Home Kit's are usually made in China (PRC) and often contain high allergy risk ingredients used in excessive amounts, so developing allergies is quicker and easier. This also applies to products found on Amazon, eBay etc,

Reactions are caused by allergies to one or more specific ingredients. A dermatologists methacrylate patch test would help to identify the exact ingredients.

Once these are known, it may be possible to find products that do not contain those ingredients and use them without reacting. However, in some cases and especially when someone has used several different products after the initial allergic reaction trying to find a solution, they may have developed many more ingredient allergies and their immune system become so sensitive that all artificial nail products have to be avoided.

It is also important to find out how the original allergy occurred. Allergies only happen if there has been repeated skin contact of uncured or undercured product - usually over a longer time.

The most common way this can happen is the use of a LED/UV lamp that is not matched to the gel polish by the same brand and the product is not fully curing. When the product is soaked-off, the liquid dissolves the gel polish and releases uncured ingredients and these come into contact with the skin.

Hi everyone!

I have been using Opallac products on and off for a year now, and have suddenly become allergic (I think..)

Best Selling Opallac At-Home Gel Polish Kit

Whenever I do my nails with their product, within a few hours my fingertips and skin around my nails is EXTREMELY itchy and sore. So much so that it wakes me in the middle of the night. I have to soak my fingertips in ice cold water for some relief. This is only a new thing for me and didn't happen as soon as I started the Opallac process, so I'm assuming I've just developed the allergy.

Their website says "All our gels are 10-Free! This means you won’t find: Formaldehyde, Toluene, Dibutyl Phthalate (DBP), Camphor, Formaldehyde resin, Xylene, Parabens, Ethyl Tosylamide, Acetone & Animal ingredients."

Does anyone have any tips on what the heck I can do now?

I spoke to one lady who said I can't even get SNS done now either- is that true?

I wondered if it would help if I put a layer of regular clear polish on first, then use the Opallac process over the top of it? But google says it might give me a nail fungus infection..

If I can't use the Opallac products anymore, I don't mind.. I just need to know what the heck I can put on my nails!!

Thank-you so much!!
Hello!
It sounds like you're experiencing a significant reaction to Opallac products. Allergic reactions to nail products can be quite uncomfortable and sometimes even painful. Since you've been using these products for a while without any issues until recently, it's possible that you've developed an allergy to one of the ingredients.
Given that Opallac claims to be "10-Free," it's likely that they exclude many common allergens and irritants from their products. However, it's still possible to develop an allergy to any substance, especially with repeated exposure.
As for your question about getting SNS (Signature Nail Systems) done, it's best to consult with a dermatologist or an allergist to determine whether you should avoid it as well. They can provide you with a more accurate assessment based on your specific situation.
Using a layer of regular clear polish as a barrier before applying the Opallac products might help, but it's essential to be cautious. If you decide to try this, make sure to monitor your nails closely for any signs of irritation or infection. If you notice any adverse reactions, it's best to stop using the products and seek professional advice. French tip nail designs
If you find that you can no longer use Opallac products, you might want to explore other brands that offer hypoallergenic or sensitive skin-friendly options. There are many nail polish brands on the market that cater to individuals with allergies or sensitivities.
In any case, if your symptoms persist or worsen, it's crucial to seek medical advice. Allergic reactions can vary in severity, and a healthcare professional can provide you with the best guidance for your situation.
I hope you find a solution that works for you and that your nail health improves soon!

Last edited:
Once you have been sensitized to gel it’s almost 100% that you won’t be using it again in the near future. Or maybe forever.… swashbuckler miniature
Spotify Statistics | Viberate.com
If you are not a professional, you won’t receive replies, so please tell us if you are.
It's crucial to prioritize safety when using such substances. If you have experienced sensitivity to a particular gel or substance, it's advisable to avoid using it in the future and seek alternative products that are compatible with your skin.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back