Am I doing OK-panicking a little

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riva

Reaction score
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone out there could give me an opinion of how they think I'm faring and what to expect....

-opened doors 4 months ago (end of April launch)
-no real existing clients, aesthetician brought a few in but only about 3-4 stayed.
-since then, we now have around 200 on our mailing list
-Vast majority Wahanda and Wowcher. I ran a Wowcher deal in June.
-Actually broke even in July (without paying me) but takings dipped since then for few reasons:- my stock managing not great, still learning so money stuck there (incl botox/fillers so very expensive), setting up 2 more new components to the business hence money going out due to setting up, quarterly rent payments which makes it harder to managed for 'pay' months.
-this week is sooo quiet that we have less then 6 paying people booked in- for both aesthetician (waxing to facials) and me (doctor).
-our cancellations or no-shows is very high esp for those booking directly. We are Central London so I'm wondering if this is more common here. Really rude!

Marketing is new to me but I'm learning quickly and have even cut and paste the relevant bits in the very long marketing thread here. Have done most-writing to wedding shops, corporates, leaflets, business, events, blog/fb/twitter, videos- I've done most of the things advised!

My results are very good and long term esp with the more 'medical' items like non-surgical lifts- real before/after pics etc.

I feel like I'm doing everything that I can think of and either I'm not patient enough or there's something I'm missing. Its really demoralising and expensive.

On the bright side- we just got selected as a finalist for the best new clinic in London!!

Any words of advice?

It takes time and the market is saturated. Just because you opened a salon doesnt mean people will be queueing to get in. Its tough times at present to be starting a new salon! Some salons will do really well, others wont. Theres no sure fire way of succeeding, a lot is down to luck!!!

On the bright side- we just got selected as a finalist for the best new clinic in London!!

Any words of advice?

No words of advice... But congratulations... You must be good at something!

Just to repeat what has been said on here before - it can take around 2 years to break even or start showing a profit in business, especially as you started with no existing client base.

Sometimes deals like Wowcher can attract the wrong kind of client - the deal hunters, but there can be a degree of retention. What did you anticipate? Did you do a business plan?

I often wonder where people think their client base will come from. Most people who have treatments are going somewhere to have those treatments. You have to make them want to come to you. Do you have a USP? Can you take a deposit from clients especially of they are booking more high end treatments to avoid no shows?

Just a few thoughts, but big congratulations on the short listing, and best of luck!

Vicki x

There was a good number of upsell from the Wowcher deal. Wahanda works simply because people seem to use it as a location finder for beauty and will book for lower price point treatments (waxing etc) and we have decent upsell.
I've been told that its just time of the year but can't help feeling a little deflated.
I feel that to have a full treatment days (70% at least) for one therapist, we probably need closer to 1000 on our mailing list? Its an interesting question.
I do have a USP and work very hard at it. Thanks for the support. Think I just needed to hear it from someone.

Latest posts

Back