Newly self employed. Advice needed.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaigeRosexxx

Reaction score
Hi, so I would like to get some honest advice. I have posted similar threads in the past and I have also mentioned my previous issues regarding my beauty career. I am going to explain my whole situation. I’m lost on what to do 😢 It’s a long read, sorry

I started beauty in 2018, had my daughter in 2019, went back into it on an employed basis - apprentice wage whilst I did my level 2 beauty therapy, minimum wage whilst I did my level 3 beauty therapy. My goal was always to be self employed and have some flexibility with my days due to my daughter, only when needed.

Long story short

I started my salon that I’m currently in back in September 2021 as an apprentice. I was loving it, felt like I was progressing massively, building up a steady clientele. We use Treatwell so it’s great. I went onto my level 3 as an apprentice, now at this point I’m not back to back all day every day, however I’m busy most days and have regular clients.
I am really thankful that I’ve built up my clients whilst training and now have very loyal clients. I have done my level 3, however I’m still doing my level 3 apprenticeship (debating if to stop this, I don’t want to do body electricals and you’ll see my other reasoning below)
So my boss has always said I will eventually be self employed, in late November we had a chat and said she feels that I am capable of being self employed now and I would do great, made me to believe that she would take 30% and I keep 60%, she provides stock etc and I pay my own tax and NI. I was extremely happy, now I’m thinking of my future for my family, house, car, progressing in my career. Of course, more money!

So I received my wage, to my surprise I got less than a grand when I made £3,551 in December due to Treatwell taking fees of first time pre paying clients (what apparently she didn’t know about)

I questioned her and basically said I was not happy with this. I was very angry and upset actually, she practically lied to me, I only got 30%, I was just like what is the actual point of this? I had a completely different wage in my head and I thought wow I’ve been robbed of my money, but this is all new to me!

Anyways, we had a chat and she said about stock etc going up for her which I completely understand. She agreed to give me 40%, so it’s still not ideal however I agreed to see how it goes. She made me feel a bit bad saying if I worked more that I would earn more - well of course. However, my Mondays I’m at college 10-4, Tuesdays I’m off, I’m in Wednesday-Saturday. Or Tuesday-Saturday. 5 days, nearly 40 hours a week, one early finish on a Wednesday to pick my daughter up from school. Can I do much more without absolutely burning myself out? I get home at 7pm most nights, 9pm on a Thursday. She’s being a good manager to “let me spend time with my daughter” apparently.

I explained this and she didn’t seem too bothered so I said well if I open my column up half an hour earlier each day and an hour earlier on the Saturday so the slots could be filled.

I found out she’s been telling the hairdressers I hardly work so how am I going to make any money and saying I practically work 2 full days a week and do nothing on Mondays!!!!!!! Wow I was so upset. To make herself feel better. When I offered to work on a Monday and stop my level 3 apprenticeship course as I have my level 3, I got told no as her and the Dr have both rooms.

And to add to this, I practically ran the beauty side on my own (just me) when she was on maternity leave, plenty of times I’ve had to come in early to clean up after her and the Dr and stay late to clean unpaid, not get payed for training days, she sometimes forgets to pay me or for my products I’ve sold. No pay rise after working and managing everything alone. No appreciation. She says she sees me as a friend and cares about me but it doesn’t feel that way.

It’s like she uses reverse phycology on me.

Basically, what do I do? Get a part time job doing something else for a stable wage, and do beauty on the side elsewhere building up new client base (don’t think I can contact my clients at this salon) - my mums friend offered me to build up at her salon, with no payment to her whilst starting up. Go to another salon? I’m baffled. I like my salon and my boss even though I think she’s been really unfair, she does train me well and has really made sure I’m up to date with all of my knowledge etc.

If you’ve read this far, thanks so much for reading and any advice would be appreciated! ❤️

Last edited:
Get your level 3 Paige. Do whatever you have to do to prioritise this because it will never get any easier to get this qualification - you’re halfway there. A level 3 will give you more options in the future, including being able to move into training and also repping for a product company.

I don’t have body electrics and I’ve always regretted it. It’s not a problem as I’m self employed but a few times I’ve applied to do training in beauty and I’ve never even had an interview. I’ve seen who gets employed instead and I think I’m better. I see their students and they’re not a patch on my employees after I’ve trained them.

I had children young and I built my life around them. One of the worst lessons I ever taught them was to drop out of college when it gets hard. Neither of my children have A levels or finished college (they both dropped out) and I’m ashamed of that.

My daughter came and worked for me a few years ago when her daughter was young and I basically bullied her into retraining in beauty and she hated every minute. But she learned she could complete a college course even whilst working and caring for a child. She got her confidence, changed career now she’s half way through a Masters and putting her daughter through private school! I’m so proud of her. (And she says when she’s my age she’s going back into beauty!). So don’t underestimate where a beauty qualification can lead. If nothing else it proves you have determination and staying power.

Hold your nerve, stay where you are and make the best of the current situation. It’s very early in your journey to be going totally self employed. Hang in there until June and then review when you’ve finished your course. 40% is not a bad deal, I know loads of people on 40% commission.

Last edited:
Get your level 3 Paige. Do whatever you have to do to prioritise this because it will never get any easier to get this qualification - you’re halfway there. A level 3 will give you more options in the future, including being able to move into training and also repping for a product company.

I don’t have body electrics and I’ve always regretted it. It’s not a problem as I’m self employed but a few times I’ve applied to do training in beauty and I’ve never even had an interview. I’ve seen who gets employed instead and I think I’m better. I see their students and they’re not a patch on my employees after I’ve trained them.

I had children young and I built my life around them. One of the worst lessons I ever taught them was to drop out of college when it gets hard. Neither of my children have A levels or finished college (they both dropped out) and I’m ashamed of that.

My daughter came and worked for me a few years ago when her daughter was young and I basically bullied her into retraining in beauty and she hated every minute. But she learned she could complete a college cause even whilst working and caring for a child. She got her confidence, changed career now she’s half way through a Masters and putting her daughter through private school! I’m so proud of her. (And she says when she’s my age she’s going back into beauty!). So don’t underestimate where a beauty qualification can lead. If nothing else it proves you have determination and staying power.

Hold your nerve, stay where you are and make the best of the current situation. It’s very early in your journey to be going totally self employed. Hang in there until June and then review when you’ve finished your course. 40% is not a bad deal, I know loads of people on 40% commission.
Thank you for your advice. I do have my level 3 however the extra bit of my course means I get my level 3 apprenticeship. If I left, I’ve still got my level 3. So I’m unsure on what to do. In been talking to some people and my college tutor even said 40% seems like a lot to take considering I’m paying my own tax and NI so I put 10% of that away each month so it 30%. I just find it hard to come to full turns with when I work so hard and then come out with practically nothing. I just don’t know where my head is at

Work out your hourly pay. If you’re earning less than minimum wage then it’s likely that your boss is doing something illegal even if she doesn’t realise. I’m very suspicious that she’s done this to avoid paying you minimum wage after you turned 21. There is a big jump in pay for 21 year olds coming this April. I know quite a few people that got fired just before their 21st birthday because their employer couldn’t afford to pay them and wanted to employ someone younger and cheaper. That’s illegal of course but hard to prove.

You could see a solicitor for legal advice about your rights and whether you have a case for making a claim for back pay through an employment tribunal.

I have to say though that the legal redress route is time consuming and not free (although many solicitors will claim their fees off your employer if you are successful through a no win, no fee arrangement). You might find this option emotionally draining though and you’d also have to leave your employer. I wouldn’t wish the stress on anyone, most people do it when they’ve been fired or left because they can’t take anymore. I don’t know anyone that’s been able to calmly carry on working. So you may have to be practical and let go of your resentment over your pay.

Being self employed means accepting that your income will fluctuate. There will be good times and lean times. Your tutor is out of touch if she thinks 40% is low. I’ve had people apply to me for work and offer me 60% of their takings. The main problem is you aren’t taking enough money/doing enough treatments.

Feeling frustrated undervalued and under appreciated is not a good place to be In. But it’s not the best start to launching yourself in a new business. This takes planning and preparation. With the best will in the world, it’s very easy to advise someone that they are being underpaid and should set up on their own but that’s just talk. It would be much more helpful if they could explain how you will earn at least an extra £125 a week from day one in a place on your own, or how long you’ll have to slog away in the hope of better times to come.

You are a strong person Paige. Set up a business page on Facebook, curate your Instagram, taking off any personal stuff or having a separate account and start promoting yourself. Maybe you could work in your mum’s friend’s salon one day a week and see how it goes? I wouldn’t mention it to your Boss to be on the safe side.

Good luck

Last edited:
Work out your hourly pay. If you’re earning less than minimum wage then it’s likely that your boss is doing something illegal even if she doesn’t realise. I’m very suspicious that she’s done this to avoid paying you minimum wage after you turn 21. There is a big jump in pay for 21 year olds coming this April. I know quite a few people that got fired just before their 21st birthday because their employer couldn’t afford to pay them and wanted to employ someone younger and cheaper. That’s illegal of course but hard to prove.

You could see a solicitor for legal advice about your rights and whether you have a case for making a claim for back pay through an employment tribunal.

I have to say though that the legal redress route is time consuming and not free (although many solicitors will claim their fees off your employer if you are successful through a no win, no fee arrangement. You might find this option emotionally draining though and you’d also have to leave your employer. I wouldn’t wish the stress on anyone, most people do it when they’ve been fired or left because they can’t take anymore. I don’t know anyone that’s been able to calmly carry on working. So you may have to be practical and let go of your resentment over your pay.

Being self employed means accepting that your income will fluctuate. There will be good times and lean times. Your tutor is out of touch if she thinks 40% is low. I’ve had people apply to me for work and offer me 60% of their takings. The main problem is you aren’t taking enough money/doing enough treatments.

Feeling frustrated undervalued and under appreciated is not a good place to be In. But it’s not the best start to launching yourself in a new business. This takes planning and preparation. With the best will in the world, it’s very easy to advise someone that they are being underpaid and should set up on their own but that’s just talk. It would be much more helpful if they could explain how you will earn at least an extra £125 a week from day one in a place on your own, or how long you’ll have to slog away in the hope of better times to come.

You are a strong person Paige. Set up a business page on Facebook, curate your Instagram, taking off any personal stuff or having a separate account and start promoting yourself. Maybe you could work in your mum’s friend’s salon one day a week and see how it goes? I wouldn’t mention it to your Boss to be on the safe side.

Good luck
I am 21, 22 in July. She told me she couldn’t afford to pay me being employed anymore, which I don’t understand. I can easily make £3,500-£4,000 on average a month when it’s not mega busy or mega quiet, and I do all treatments. Microneedling, all the expensive stuff that’s over £100. It’s an expensive salon. I feel deflated. I got less than minimum wage.
I may do that. I have an instagram that I post on daily to help me build fresh clients.
Thank you, you’ve been very helpful x

You want to earn around £15 per hour if you are paying your own tax and NI, otherwise it’s less than you’d earn on minimum wage including holiday pay and employer pension contributions.

You want to earn around £15 per hour if you are paying your own tax and NI, otherwise it’s less than you’d earn on minimum wage including holiday pay and employer pension contributions.
Yes exactly, I worked it out and I was on around £6 an hour with the wage I got! Less than my wage when employed…

Hi, I'm a hairdresser and we pay a chair rate for each day we work. Around my area it is % its 60% to you and 40% to the person you are renting the chair/room off. I would get the level 3 done and look for somewhere else to rent from.

I own a salon and I pay the staff 50% of their takings - we provide everything for them other than their own equipment. We pay the card fees and salonIQ software fees. They can generate £1800-£3k a week for the salon so their take home is £900-1500 a week, and I would say is the right figure for a salon in a city centre in Yorkshire.

I would ask politely for some terms of contract from your salon owner - I like to get something typed up, whether basic or robust for anyone that works self employed for myself - this protects both sides should you look to end their services on offer. The rate of 50/50 doesn't change and won't change, we increase our prices annually based on the supplier % increase on products, so everything is relative to what we take and pay.

You have built up a client base - but be careful how/if you take these client details from the salons booking system if you were to leave, as due to GDPR the use of client details is protected.

Getting another part time job seems a good idea, however bare in mind anything you are earning will go on your self assessment and come off your personal allowance.

I would suggest you look for a different place to provide your services, and ask your clients to follow you on social media - then if you do leave and start somewhere else you have a way to make contact with them that doesn't contravene any data laws.

Good Luck

Hi, I'm a hairdresser and we pay a chair rate for each day we work. Around my area it is % its 60% to you and 40% to the person you are renting the chair/room off. I would get the level 3 done and look for somewhere else to rent from.
Thanks, yeah that seems to be average round my area x

I own a salon and I pay the staff 50% of their takings - we provide everything for them other than their own equipment. We pay the card fees and salonIQ software fees. They can generate £1800-£3k a week for the salon so their take home is £900-1500 a week, and I would say is the right figure for a salon in a city centre in Yorkshire.

I would ask politely for some terms of contract from your salon owner - I like to get something typed up, whether basic or robust for anyone that works self employed for myself - this protects both sides should you look to end their services on offer. The rate of 50/50 doesn't change and won't change, we increase our prices annually based on the supplier % increase on products, so everything is relative to what we take and pay.

You have built up a client base - but be careful how/if you take these client details from the salons booking system if you were to leave, as due to GDPR the use of client details is protected.

Getting another part time job seems a good idea, however bare in mind anything you are earning will go on your self assessment and come off your personal allowance.

I would suggest you look for a different place to provide your services, and ask your clients to follow you on social media - then if you do leave and start somewhere else you have a way to make contact with them that doesn't contravene any data laws.

Good Luck
I am in Manchester and it seems to be that the average is 50/50. Some weeks I can make a good amount of money (with no no shows and cancellations) and the earning potential would be great if this was the case! I just feel like I’m putting in a lot of work and stuck at it on a crappy wage providing for my daughter and not getting much..
Yes I am looking for another job at the minute and I am going for a chat with a lady who owns a salon near me about what she has to offer, she seems keen so hopefully luck is on my side!
Thanks so much for your advice. Much appreciated x

Latest posts

Back