Annoyed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diversenails

Reaction score
Is it me or are educational services becoming a dime or dozen spoken to so many ppl who done a groupon course got their insurancebut have not got a clue what they are doing because the person who was teachin was busy doing this or that? Nails are falling off within 2nd day they dont know why etc etc "sigh" how are we to be taken seriously when the educationers don't care?

Last edited by a moderator:
But do people seriously think they will be adequately trained from a Groupon course?

Training is one of the few things that can help your services stand out from the crowd so I would look at the best place possible to train, not the one that's down the road from me or the one that's on Groupon.

Sadly, people think this whole beauty business is a piece of cake and all they need is a qualification for insurance purposes. They then can't understand why they can't grow a business or why their customers don't return!

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I am one of those people who did the 1 day training courses for various different aspects such as manicure, pedicure, gel polish, soak of gel and acrylics.

I did these courses because as a single parent with a mortgage I was looking for a second income which I could potentially turn into a business, allowing me to reduce my time in the teaching profession which I have been in for 10 years. I was not in a position to leave my job in order to pursue a full time qualification.

It was my assumption that because the courses are beauty guild accredited and allow you to gain insurance that they must surely be adequate and I felt that with a science degree already I would be in a good position to understand the theory. I knew that I would need a lot of practise but believed that I would gain the necessary basic skills to be able to build up to being "good at nails".

I, like others whom I have spoken to, am disappointed with the training I received. As I said, I went into it fully believing that it must be learnable in a 1 day course otherwise there wouldn't be so many people offering them.

A lot of the basic science they described was wrong (e.g. My trainer said that athletes foot was bacterial and that eczema was contagious) and they did not teach us anything regarding natural nail shape and curve and many other things that I only discovered I needed to know through hours of textbook and salon geek reading.

During the training, the trainer often left the room and barely watched what we did. We were told that we just needed to practise when we left.

I have written this post because I understand the frustrations of those of you who have spent years and hundreds of hours training (I feel the same about non-qualified teachers!) but please remember that we took these courses in good faith, believing that they would be a stepping stone into a new career when we were not in a position to undertake a full time course.

I now feel quite stuck with regards to nails. I would love to do a level 2 or 3 course but none are offered as evening courses. I am quite confident with my Shellac application but I am saving to do the CND course. I struggle with brisa lite and more so with acrylic because of issues with tips, blending and shaping so need more/retraining with these too.

I too am annoyed.com by the (lack of) training I received.

This annoys me to , not the aspiring therapist paying for them , but the greedy unscrupulous people running them. Most people in this industry know the good trainers , cnd,harmony, bio sculpture, nsi, calgel etc but if you are not in this industry then the chances of you knowing this would be slim, you would not know. You would think an accredited course was all you needed to look for. I think slowly local councils are sort of regulating the industry , requiring salons to be licensed . This should take a lot of the cowboy trainers out of the industry. It is sad this industry can not regulate itself , with so many brokers & insurance companies only caring about the money.

It's a difficult one .... I trained for 2 years doing a BTEC National Diploma within Beauty Therapy and loved the course was very happy with the content and the standard of training I received however I have since had to do one day courses in treatments like intimate waxing, spray tanning, HD Brows, threading to name a few.... After these one day courses I then did some refreshing on each course during my time at work practicing and practicing until I was competent to perform the treatment on a paying client..... I believe that a one day course gives you the "basic method" and allows you to use this to then obtain through practice off your own back , let's face it, it's down to you to perfect your new skill to then become competent and confident carrying out treatments .... I think that a Beauty Therapy 2 year course is needed then you can look at adding additional training to the back of that ie the one day courses .... I don't like the fact that there are people in the industry that think the one day courses gives you all the knowledge and know how within treatments .... All the gear no idea type scenario. I like the fact that velevetcu recognised that her training wasn't adequate and I'm sorry to hear that you had such an uneducated un knowledgable trainer @ the end of the day trainers need to be very knowledgable about the subjects they are teaching to help with any Q&A's and to give the correct information to help the industry be educated to ascertain the clients needs/ contra indications properly :)

Last edited:
You cant just blame the Groupon course though. Therapists have to take some responsibility aswell. They do a course, whether it be a groupon or otherwise and then can run a business. Its all well and good while things are going great, but problems start when problems start and they dont know why or how to rectify. An apprentice bricklayer doesnt go and start to build houses on his own straight away does he, he learns his trade first. Im afraid doing a course isnt learning your trade, its learning the basics. Just my opinion xx

Training is where the money is.........Unfortunately training providers, and insurance companies are getting RICH, feeding folk with false promises of what their courses will lead to.
I have recently taken on a mature newbie. Having completed level 2, she has been told that after finishing her 34 DAY :Scared::Scared::Scared: level 3, she will be classed as a SENIOR STYLIST! guess what....she still has SOOOOOOOOOOOO much to learn. I have my work cut out trying to fill in the gaps.
It actually breaks my heart.
What has our industry become.
I had a client cancel her shellac appointment today, as her daughter has purchased her own 'kit', and they have realised how easy it is to do, silly to 'waste' their money having it done in a salon!

Latest posts

Back