Anyone thinking of leaving the beauty industry to pursue a different career?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redkenredhead

Reaction score
Hi there I have read several posts and the reason I signed up because if anyone would understand what I'm going through would be other stylists. I have been in the industry for 28yrs, and I'm at a crossroads. Struggling with whether or not to leave the industry. I really love being a stylist but moving a few times has forced me to build up my clientele again. The job I'm at now I started in March. Now as Stylist we know that depending on where we live salons like any business slows down a certain times of the year. I live in Tucson,AZ our slow time is May -September. So starting right before the slow season was a struggle. This shop (when I started)had very few walk-ins. I'm doing alright but it can be very stressful when your required to keep 13%sales in retail (it has to be a combo.)and $20 SPH. Retail is not a struggle for me, my SPH will be going along fine and then BAMM!! End of the month a shitty week. Bunch of men's, & kids cuts who no Matter that I ask everyone I can not up-sell these clients, so there goes my SPH. Last month it was $19.08. I was going to get a write up but after speaking with my boss, they gave me a pass (This Time). I really wish I didn't work for a corporate salon. They don't care that you are doing what you can with what you have to work with! I'm right there!! $1.00 that's it!! My retail is always above the goal. I understand I have goals I must meet!! It's just messed up that I'm $1.00 away and they basically say I'm not helping the company!!
I feel I'm just done!! Find a different career path, but I stop because I know I can reach and beat those goals. But then being stressed out more days than I'm not sucks!!
Would anyone have any suggestions of which career path you would take if you left the industry? I love the industry, but after working for two corporate salons in my career, I think I'm done!! FYI- Tucson has soooo many salons, but it's either corporate or commission booth have issues, the second wouldn't be too bad if I had more of a clientele.

Latest posts

Back