Back to salon after 8 years mobile?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanhead

Reaction score
Hi Geeks!

Just looking for some advice really, I have been mobile for the past 8 years and although i love my job, i have had this hankering to go back to the salon. Just a couple days a week. Don't laugh but i'm 36 and i feel it's now or never, i really miss the hub of a salon. I have a steady mobile clientele but they like me are getting older and although i love my old dears i feel i need more of a challenge...i will always have time to do their hair, they are my bread and butter after all but i would like to test myself a bit too if that makes sense??

The only thing bothering me is...am i employable? I'm happy to do anyting really. I'd fold towels, shampoo, make tea all the menial work as well as hairdressing..I'd just be happy to go back. I have a lot of experience in salon management, stock control, running reception but i just want to go back! And believe me i'm not interested in poaching clients at all!! hairdressing at home is quite restrictive...i'm just longng to wash someones hair properly in a backwash lol!!!

If you're a salon owner reading this, i'd love your feedback on employing someone like me if you wouldn't mind..

Many thanks geeks.. xxx :biggrin:

In the current climate I would only be looking for someone who had I client base to bring into the salon.. Would your mobile clients come in?

I had offered some a place in my salon on a se basis, had explained that we don't really have a lot of walk ins and she would need to bring her clients with her.. It didn't really work out, as they wouldn't come..

I avoid people who have done mobile, as I have had experience of people poaching clients.
You could always rent a chair and have your clients come to you, that way you get the best of both worlds.

If you are already mobile then I would suggest renting a chair as your already self employed! As long as you market yourself well and keep your advertising campaign going until you build a steady clientele then you should be fine! In my area most hairdressers/beauty therapists are self employed - good luck whatever you decide x

Thank you ladies for your advice. I completely understand the reservations a salon owner would have employing a mobile stylist, it makes sense. My clientele love having their hair done at home and i doubt they would follow me to a salon....but renting a chair sounds like a better option but probably a bit risky in this climate. Thanks all the same xx

Thank you ladies for your advice. I completely understand the reservations a salon owner would have employing a mobile stylist, it makes sense. My clientele love having their hair done at home and i doubt they would follow me to a salon....but renting a chair sounds like a better option but probably a bit risky in this climate. Thanks all the same xx

I would, next year me and a friend (once we had a good client base each from mobile) are planning to open a salon together. Not sure if it will happen on time or even next year, but I would take a mobile stylist like yourself on, as you don't have a client base to bring it would mean as you said the menial jobs until walk in's came to bring yourself a client list, and I feel your past experience would help a lot in a fledgling salon, so my advice would be to approach newly opened places or places that have not yet opened.
Good luck xoxo

Thanks for that Tomme, good luck with the salon! xx

Latest posts

Back