Bad stylists

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What makes a good stylist and a bad one?

I think a good stylist really listens to what the client wants and delivers exactly what they've asked for, they should be able to communicate In a manner that suits each individual client, I think they should have a good knowlege of hair types & the limitations they carry and an excellent chemistry knowledge of what each product is really doing to the hair, can't think of anything else right now lol

oh god its not just me then! i started out in hairdressing late, i was 22/23 at time, 10 years ago!:eek: started going to college part time in evening and looked for work in a salon for experience. college was ****. sooo many bad habits being picked up by the other students. really put me off. they really do overlook so much.

I am suffering from a bad stylist. So my salon had someone working there who was so cookie cutter that her work always looked the same. anyway I had layers of one of those fudge like colours and she promised she could get it out in one day. This was a few months ago and I am in my apprenticeship so I figured I would trust the fully qualified stylist. All but 2 inches of my hair is suffering from chemical damage to the point that we tried to tint it copper and it ended up washing out when we were rinsing the colour. She used a colour remover and then bleach with 40 vol (under heat). Also she was always bagging out the other stylists when she cut my hair.

I am suffering from a bad stylist....
Also she was always bagging out the other stylists when she cut my hair.

Hi, what does this mean? It's not an expression I've come across before.

Hi, what does this mean? It's not an expression I've come across before.

Do you mean "bagging out"? I mean she was always saying "who cut your hair last? Oh it wasn't me? now I feel better." Or "So-and-so really needs to learn how to colour." She was basically down talking everyones work.

'Bagging out' Ah, I see. I rather like that expression. Sounds kinder than the UK version.

'Slagging off' is commonly used in parts of the UK to mean making insulting or derogatory comments about someone else.

Basically. Aussie slang here.

I don't think that's a fair description of "learners these days".. I haven't even been hairdressing for a year and I had more colour knowledge then anyone in a salon I've previously worked in.

I was the only one who understood the colour wheel apart from my boss.. I was the only one who knew that the true underlying tone of "P" in Goldwell was lilac and that sort of thing, I'd take it up on myself with one other passionate apprentice to go and travel to go on colour courses and learn new techniques etc. I'd do new types of colouring and ombre techniques that id learnt from hours of sitting at home and watching YouTube out of my own interests and passion and qualified stylists with 10+ years experience asked me what I was doing.

I ended up leaving because I wanted to be taught and not be a teacher after a few months experience so went to an amazing new salon and got the teaching I wanted..

i don't mean to change the direction of the thread or be over opinionated but I just wanted to make it known there are some very passionate apprentices and learners out there who really do love what they do and have pride & finesse in their work ����

Hear Hear! I didnt get taught a thing at the salon I juniored at. Just went on an affinage colour correction course and basically knew more than the rep who was teaching it :| but im only college trained and qualified for 2 1/2 years. However, I do think that because I feel I have to work harder, my overall standard of knowledge is much better, especially in colour, and I am more of a perfectionist about getting things right. Hopefully will find a great, forward thinking salon when I graduate who wont be intimidated by my having gone to uni and will train me up to a really high standard, because being college trained is never enough. I have so much knowledge and I am quite under confident sometimes, like when I went and did ABC course at Sassoon I thought I was going to be way behind because I am freelance through uni, and everyone else was in a salon full time. However, this was not the case and i did just as well if not better than the others in my class. I just always over worry about being part academic part hairdresser because the reactions I have got from employers and college/ uni have been quite negative. People sometimes expect you to take one path for your whole life, and I think most of us here know that simply isnt the case. I want to be part of a creative team eventually.

Last edited:
I'm surprised that you get negative reactions at Uni.

I thought it was commonly accepted that graduates will have (on average) at least 3 different careers during their working life. It's unusual to stick with one career path solidly for 30+ years nowadays.

I'm surprised that you get negative reactions at Uni.

I thought it was commonly accepted that graduates will have (on average) at least 3 different careers during their working life. It's unusual to stick with one career path solidly for 30+ years nowadays.

I did start off by having some negativity, "why are you at uni if you're a hairdresser" like we are automatically stupid or something, but success in third year they've finally become interested in what im doing, i think because they know barely anything about it and because im not writing about subjects we were taught in the modules like most of my classmates.. and also because im a loud mouthed schnook who knows about 10x more about art and its relating subjects than anyone else in my year. always helps tehe :D

Haha schnook 😂

I'm studying level 2 at college and I have to say that I'm really lucky with my tutor. She is really helpful and is always pushing us to do better, she keeps helping us until we get things right, rather than just do a demo and leave us to it. She won't except anything that isn't right and expects us to give our all. We're moving quite quickly in our group, I think we're a couple of weeks ahead of the other level 2 groups, but that may be because we are the mature student class.

I'm also working part time at a salon, so that's really helping me to. I'm really lucky there as all the ladies (& my father in law who is the owner) have been really good at explaining things and givig me all handy tips.

Sorry for the essay, but I think it's nice to let any other people who are training know that it's not all doom and gloom lol X :)

Charlie D was that at Canterbury college?

Latest posts

Back