Bad Weather Blues "ALREADY"

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leemac

Reaction score
Hi All
Well its started!!!!!! Already having flashback's to last years disastrous winter! Don't get me wrong I love the snow, but myself and my hubbie are both self employed, we live in a VERY rural area and last year found ourselves completely stuck for 4/5 weeks from last week in dec to the end of jan. We neither of us could work for that time so financially was a total nightmare, we ran out of fuel for the stove and ran out of food! In the end I hitched a lift from the farmer near us into the nearest town (12 miles) in a tractor to get shopping (no joke). Now the snow came on Thursday last week and we have already got at least 10" with more on the way! So a week of cancelled work ahead of us.

Anyone else in the same boat?

The thing is I had planned to get myself all organised in case we got caught out again, but I thought I still had time!!!!! Well, BIG, HUGE, lesson learned!

I wonder if Tesco/Asda a doing deliveries by helicopter these days??????

Oh dear, I really feel for you. I can't even imagine being cut off for 3 days, let alone 3 weeks. Can't you ask the farmer again to drop you somewhere so at least you can stock up on some food incase the weather does get worse?

I live on the Berkshire/Hampshire border and luckily we've had nothing. Kids around here want snow so they can get a few days off school, sadly they don't realise what impact the snow has on businesses and peoples' lives.

I wish I could say something but I don't know what to say, just that I hope you will be ok. :hug: Lorraine x

I cant imagine what it must be like, I live in a suburban area.

Maybe pencil in a freezer stockup for October????

Really don't know what to suggest for the work issue though.

Thanks Ladies, I can get into Berwick upon Tweed to stock up with a little help from the farmer again if it keeps up. There is talk of it being around for the next week. I can cope (just) with being stuck in but I get really frustrated with all the work that I have to cancel, I try not to think about how much got cancelled last year :cry::cry::cry:.
Nevermind, it could be worse! (could have a power cut too!) xx

Could you stay somewhere else that has better access and go mobile until the weather clears?? You might be able to salvage a few clients appointments that way.

Unfortunately when your mobile in a rural area NO WHERE has better access as if your stuck most of your clients will be hazzardous to get to in the least,
Where i live they only salt and grit the main roads and these are a small percentage of the roads you need to use! GREAT!!!

The only bits not gritted here are cul de sacs.

Hi
Thanks for the suggestion Dinkypinky but what lucelasticx said is true I am afraid. Its just part of living in the country. The main roads (B class roads) are fairly well gritted but I am 2 miles off the main road down a single farm track. I am a home salon and I was VERY lucky last year as although some of my clients had to go elsewhere for some essentials bits and bobs (they couldn't get to me and I couldn't get out either) done they all returned in February and I have had a fairly good year so cant complain. I keep trying to tell myself there is no point worrying about it as there is nothing I can do about it. I have a very full appointment book in December so I cant help feeling worried, it isn't just the money we will loose I HATE HATE HATE letting my clients down. Think the point is that the weather will be what it will be!!!! I am sure I wont be the only one.

You will probably think I am totally mad but snow chains are fantastic if you can get your hands on some. You can buy blow up rubber type things now that are cheap and brilliant. This enables you to travel as long as the snow doesn't get too deep! Your clients would be soooooooo impressed xx

Latest posts

Back