basic colour info

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masonnewby

Reaction score
hi there i am returning to hairdressing from 4 years off booked in to some refresher courses but having trouble with some colour si am testing out xp100 range i normally use loreal.but i am finding it the browns are not going dark i used number 3 today and it was a 5 i used 6% peroxide but just passed and that was on blonde hair same with the reds can you tell me what i am doing wrong.

are you saying u used a base 3 and it turned out like a 5? and did you put it on top of blonde highlights?

I know my chair renter uses it, she used to use wella and is gonna change back cos she said she doesn't get as good coverage with it.

i find the xp range no good, it pays i think to use either wella or loreal better coverage better everything! worth the extra couple of pounds!

I have never used xp colour line, only Wella.

I am just wondering why you used 6% developer?

20vol (6%) lifts the hair 1 - 2 levels so as you are depositing colour and not lifting you only need to use 10vol (3%).

I think maybe cos she was darkening it down, the 6% will grab a bit better than a 3%?

But I don't know, I was never taught at college to use anything below 6%, apart from with bleach.

My chair renter told me last week 3% was for tone on tone colour. How bad is that? But I've never had any issues with using 6% before now. :)

When I have coloured very light blonde hair to a level 6 dark blonde I've used 20vol (6%) to see if it would grab a bit better but I find it fades alot faster and also causing more damage if the hair is over bleached / damaged.

Fades faster than a 3%? I'm not questioning you, just curious. I'm new to all this 3% business ;)

With Majirel it is fine to use 3% for darkening or white coverage. I lasts better too as less cuticle swelling involved.
XP is not great, and not comparable to majirel in terms of performance

When I coloured my friends hair from bleached white to a level 6 dark blonde I used 3%. Her hair was porous and I knew it would fade but I did not want to use 6% as her hair was snapped off the blonde.

The colour did fade so I redone it 6 weeks later with 6% to see if it would grab a bit better. The colour did not go as dark as it did the first time plus it seemed to fade very quick and look very washed out. I was taught at college to use 6% when lifting and 3% for going darker. 3% and 6% both do the same only 6% lightens up to 2 levels.

XP is cr*p, they seem to be a greeny tint also, even the /03 gold tones still come out khaki, terrible range IMO x

XP is cr*p, they seem to be a greeny tint also, even the /03 gold tones still come out khaki, terrible range IMO x

No need to beat around the bush LOL

yeah i want to change back to loreal but i do have 300 tubes of xp to get rid of.so are you saying try 3% peroxide?
when at college we were told proberly qwrong like evrything else they told us lol
6% for scalp coverage and darker colour
9% for slight lift
and 12% for lifting is this correct.i have 5 courses booked in over the next month to get proper training thank you x

I think we all get taught differently.

3% no lift

6% 1 - 2 levels lighter

9% 2 - 3 levels lighter

12% when hi lift tinting

i was taught you only use 3% for semi or quasi as it doesn't open the cuticle of the hair?

Ok, I have over 20 years exp as a colour tech, using Majirel. It is;
10 vol for darkening, white coverage, tone on tone colouring and toning.
20 vol for 1to 3 shades lift
30 vol for 3 to 4 shades lift
40 vol for high lift tints only
I hope that clears up any confusion.

Ok, I have over 20 years exp as a colour tech, using Majirel. It is;
10 vol for darkening, white coverage, tone on tone colouring and toning.
20 vol for 1to 3 shades lift
30 vol for 3 to 4 shades lift
40 vol for high lift tints only
I hope that clears up any confusion.

Thanks boss ;)

Just tired of reading wrong advice! definative answers given!

its good when u get a grasp of the site, and no offence to anyone else, but you get to know who really knows their stuff. i always read persianistas posts and also minkys. :) x

The grizzled old hair pro's who have been doing since day dot, with feet flat as flippers you mean?! No offence Minky!

yes thats exactly what i mean!!!!

haha :)

Latest posts

Back