Beauty experience

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustStef2016

Reaction score
I am sorry if there are a million posts on here ! I am just finishing my beauty level 2 diploma ( Not too sure if I will do level 3 as this one tired me out with a toddler) I want to do 2 evenings mobile and 3 evenings at home . Possibly offer some weekend appointments . I have started really pushing myself booking in friends and family for home treatments using kaeo products. This is because they are being my models not charging . ( Not planning on using kaeo when doing professional treatments) I don't have a problem with that . I was just wondering if there is a point where you think , wow I great at this ? At the moment my timing on most things are pretty good (aside waxing ) and varnish painting needs perfecting . I was wondering whether others have jumped straight in and started advertising or have gained salon experience ? It may be a personal thing someone, could be okay at doing something but a super confident then the other way round . Is it worth practising at home or trying to get work experience ? Kind regards Stephanie ( thanks X)

What you're talking about is psychomotor learning, and everyone will achieve it in different ways. This is something I wrote about it (for electrolysis but relevant to all treatments):

Whenever we learn a new manual skill we are using our psychomotor ability. This is when our physical movement is matched to our mental processes. If you are new to a manual skill, such as riding a bike or learning to chop onions like a chef, there are three main stages you will encounter. First there is the cognitive phase, where we are unfamiliar with the activity and our motions are slow and awkward. This is followed by the associative stage, where we have better control over our actions but we still need to think very carefully about what we are doing. Eventually with practice we reach the autonomic stage, where we are confident in our actions and perform them in a natural manner.

You cannot develop psychomotor skills by reading a book, you must practice. The vast majority of electrolysis depends on your psychomotor skills, so it should be your priority to practice every part of the treatment as much as possible. You should be at the associative stage by the end of your training, as autonomic skills take several hundred hours to develop. It is very common for beauty therapists to remain in the associative stage if they perform a low number of electrolysis treatments in comparison to others. However this can be overcome by increasing the amount of practice, no matter how many years have passed. Many beauty therapists lack confidence because they assume the number of years they have known how to perform electrolysis means they should be very proficient, but it is the total number of hours that matters.

What drove me away from teaching was the number of students who expected to be at the autonomic stage by the end of the first day! Absolutely drove me nuts. So good on you for practicing as much as you are.

Thank you for the reply . Very interesting post and insightful! I feel I am at stage one and stage two on different treatments . The main one I haven't gained experience in is waxing . If I feel that I don't have enough experience I will be looking into work experience of kin lawless training or both . Seems like I am on the right track keeping the practice up. I don't want to finish my course the lose my skills . For now I will just practice , practice ,practice ! Thanks again .

I am sorry if there are a million posts on here ! I am just finishing my beauty level 2 diploma ( Not too sure if I will do level 3 as this one tired me out with a toddler) I want to do 2 evenings mobile and 3 evenings at home . Possibly offer some weekend appointments . I have started really pushing myself booking in friends and family for home treatments using kaeo products. This is because they are being my models not charging . ( Not planning on using kaeo when doing professional treatments) I don't have a problem with that . I was just wondering if there is a point where you think , wow I great at this ? At the moment my timing on most things are pretty good (aside waxing ) and varnish painting needs perfecting . I was wondering whether others have jumped straight in and started advertising or have gained salon experience ? It may be a personal thing someone, could be okay at doing something but a super confident then the other way round . Is it worth practising at home or trying to get work experience ? Kind regards Stephanie ( thanks X)
In my opinion, some of both is good. Do your relatives and friends, but once you get your license, you should be charging them something, because you're worth it. Whether you start out as an employee or renting a chair, would depend on the amount of clientele you have. If you are in need of more clients, perhaps start with being an employee until you are super comfortable. That is what I am planning on doing. I take my state board exams on the 29&31 of March, 2016. I do not have enough clientele to start my own mobile business (that is where my heart is), so until I have more experience, I am going to work as an employee. Hope it gives you something to think about.

In my opinion, some of both is good. Do your relatives and friends, but once you get your license, you should be charging them something, because you're worth it. Whether you start out as an employee or renting a chair, would depend on the amount of clientele you have. If you are in need of more clients, perhaps start with being an employee until you are super comfortable. That is what I am planning on doing. I take my state board exams on the 29&31 of March, 2016. I do not have enough clientele to start my own mobile business (that is where my heart is), so until I have more experience, I am going to work as an employee. Hope it gives you something to think about.

thank you for you reply. I am enjoying doing friends and family as I have noticed I am getting faster at treatments. I think your idea is good. It would be beneficial to further skills and experience by working in a salon. I would like to just get work experience and carry on doing friends and family. like you I want to do mobile but also planning on setting up a room in my house too.

What you're talking about is psychomotor learning, and everyone will achieve it in different ways. This is something I wrote about it (for electrolysis but relevant to all treatments):

Whenever we learn a new manual skill we are using our psychomotor ability. This is when our physical movement is matched to our mental processes. If you are new to a manual skill, such as riding a bike or learning to chop onions like a chef, there are three main stages you will encounter. First there is the cognitive phase, where we are unfamiliar with the activity and our motions are slow and awkward. This is followed by the associative stage, where we have better control over our actions but we still need to think very carefully about what we are doing. Eventually with practice we reach the autonomic stage, where we are confident in our actions and perform them in a natural manner.

You cannot develop psychomotor skills by reading a book, you must practice. The vast majority of electrolysis depends on your psychomotor skills, so it should be your priority to practice every part of the treatment as much as possible. You should be at the associative stage by the end of your training, as autonomic skills take several hundred hours to develop. It is very common for beauty therapists to remain in the associative stage if they perform a low number of electrolysis treatments in comparison to others. However this can be overcome by increasing the amount of practice, no matter how many years have passed. Many beauty therapists lack confidence because they assume the number of years they have known how to perform electrolysis means they should be very proficient, but it is the total number of hours that matters.

What drove me away from teaching was the number of students who expected to be at the autonomic stage by the end of the first day! Absolutely drove me nuts. So good on you for practicing as much as you are.
Thank you for your insightful response. I am a visual learner and practical that's why I would like lots of experience. I understand the process of learning treatments and what is involved because of your advice!. I think carrying on practicing on friends and family to further my motor skills . I hope in time I will be able to reach the autonomic stage and this gives me a clear target to where I would like to be! So thank you!

Latest posts

Back